Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora, would you want him back?

Bobby Zamora

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Previously I've always been in the no camp, for most of the reasons that have already been put forward. Recently though I've changed my mind. Whenever I've seen him play for QPR this season he's done a decent job as a target man/hold up striker. He still has something to offer in that role, particularly in the championship. He's definitely better than what we have at the moment so I don't see the problem so long as people realise he's a different kind of striker to the free scoring goal machine he was.

Steve Foster and Jimmy Case did fine in their second spells with us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the plot thickens..... never heard of the East Grinstead Courier, but they have an April 1st article saying we're are trying to get him back?

http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/QPR-s-Bobby-Zamora-set-SHOCK-Brighton-return/story-26266043-detail/story.html

The date of the article may be a clue.

IF he came back, there would be problems in the changing room as the number 25 shirt is already in use. LuaLua is sulky enough without having to change his squad number.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
If the wages are right and we manage his fitness then yes.

I would only expect him to start 20 games with his fitness issues.

Wages would be key as we need to sign IMHO 2 wide players and 2 forwards so his wages need to be at the right level to facilitate the other signings.

Entirely agree with this. He would be a nostalgic luxury unless we could afford to use him sparingly, and we invest properly in other attacking players.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Selling COG to Sheff Utd, and using the savings on his high wages to fund a significant chunk of Zamora's pay, makes a massive amount of sense.

The club had better get plenty of extra letter Z s for the shirt printing as well.

Would still need 2 other new strikers, of course, but at least it seems we are looking for another Ulloa as well from all reports.

Ulloa 2
Zamora
Baldock
another striker

could be a good selection up front.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He's 100 times better than what weve had this season and as played well for QPR in the Premier League. If the wages are sensible well worth the investment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently our scouts are going through possibilities in Europe looking for the next Ulloa. I would look at Romaina and Bulgaria to offer a player from there £1k a week would be like winning the euro lottery.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
No; he wouldn't live up to the expectation because these days he's a shadow of the player he was. He can still do a job, but not consistently to a high level. I wouldn't want to tarnish the memories of Bobby in a Brighton shirt.

Is the right answer

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fence - because I will leave it up to Mr Hughton as to whether he wants him, to Mr Zamora as to whether he would want to come back, and to Mr Barber and co as to whether the finance side of it stacks up.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Fence for me.

Would love to see him play for us at the Amex

BUT
1.wages could be too high for us. 2, He obviously isn't as quick as he used to be. 3, His age

The money for his wages could be better spent on us acquiring a younger, quicker, more prolific striker.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
He's a legend, he has done a lot for us. He has done well this season for QPR.

But I'd like to think we could create a squad that's going to be together for some seasons to come. Much like how Bournemouth did it. Get a real squad gelled up and ready to go, we can't be going through the uncertainties of transfer markets by buying older players who'd be considering retiring in the next few years.

Get some young'uns in, preferably all with pace so we can play counter-attacking football like Watford did.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But I'd like to think we could create a squad that's going to be together for some seasons to come. Much like how Bournemouth did it. Get a real squad gelled up and ready to go, we can't be going through the uncertainties of transfer markets by buying older players who'd be considering retiring in the next few years.

That'll be the same Bournemouth that appointed Eddie Howe a second time to bring back some of the old magic from his first stint.

For me this is a no-brainer. Every dad taking their kids to see the Albion would love the have Bobby back in the fold and, let's face it, the bar is now set so low he couldn't do any worse than CMS, Best and O'Grady. Fans in their teens and early 20s would love to see it too - I can recall my second ever Albion match -at just 14 years old - was vs. Man Utd when Peter Ward was back on loan from Forest and scored the winner. I felt I'd connected with an earlier era. The fact he only scored 3 goals in a four-month loan period is now lost in the depths of time, the fact is we beat Man Utd 1-0, he scored the winner and I was there.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
That'll be the same Bournemouth that appointed Eddie Howe a second time to bring back some of the old magic from his first stint.

For me this is a no-brainer. Every dad taking their kids to see the Albion would love the have Bobby back in the fold and, let's face it, the bar is now set so low he couldn't do any worse than CMS, Best and O'Grady. Fans in their teens and early 20s would love to see it too - I can recall my second ever Albion match -at just 14 years old - was vs. Man Utd when Peter Ward was back on loan from Forest and scored the winner. I felt I'd connected with an earlier era. The fact he only scored 3 goals in a four-month loan period is now lost in the depths of time, the fact is we beat Man Utd 1-0, he scored the winner and I was there.

He kept a squad together and got them functioning as a unit, more so than because of Howe re-igniting magic.

Yes, the sentimental aspect of Zamora is important to many. But are his wage demands, legs and contract length going to be up for what we need? I'm sceptical. I wouldn't rule it out as a loan, but I'm sceptical.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He kept a squad together and got them functioning as a unit, more so than because of Howe re-igniting magic.

Yes, the sentimental aspect of Zamora is important to many. But are his wage demands, legs and contract length going to be up for what we need? I'm sceptical. I wouldn't rule it out as a loan, but I'm sceptical.

Sentiment doesn't come into it. He plainly has the ability that we so desperately need. He is also the star quality we've desperately craved since Ulloa left.

I think even if he hadn't played for the Albion in an earlier life as transfer targets go I think he still ticks all the right boxes.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Sentiment doesn't come into it. He plainly has the ability that we so desperately need. He is also the star quality we've desperately craved since Ulloa left.

I think even if he hadn't played for the Albion in an earlier life as transfer targets go I think he still ticks all the right boxes.
Of course he is the type of player we need. However, we'll be in the process of replacing him within a season or two. We'll be back to square one. My main point was about bringing in younger players, getting them functioning as a unit and playing exciting football. But it gives us the longevity we may need in a squad due to age, but re-sellable players that we could move on.

As I also said, I wouldn't rule out a loan move for Zamora.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Of course he is the type of player we need. However, we'll be in the process of replacing him within a season or two. We'll be back to square one. My main point was about bringing in younger players, getting them functioning as a unit and playing exciting football. But it gives us the longevity we may need in a squad due to age, but re-sellable players that we could move on.

As I also said, I wouldn't rule out a loan move for Zamora.

He's out of contract so how would a loan deal happen? Anyway, it's a game of opinions. Personally, I'm not worried about how we'd replace him in one or two years, the fact is we've almost got relegated and need quality now. All these young strikers everybody craves will be sought after by every other promotion-chasing club in the Championship. However, the market for Bobby's services is more select as his stated preference is to stay in the South-East, and you'd have to think we're in a good bidding position should Bloom be so inclined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here