Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom tells Norwich to do one!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Absolutely delighted. Our best player, a nice bloke by all accounts and one hell of a statement of intent from our Chairman. As Clippedgull has said, the biggest bit of news here is the backing TB has given Gus. Gus now knows that his chairman is genuinely behind him and will do what Gus needs to build a dynasty.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
My mind was put at rest by Elliot Bennett's applauding the crowd after he scored yesterday. Maybe I am not cynical enough, but I think he's well happy here

Let’s just hope he wasn’t applauding the crowed as to say it was his last game for us?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
This is the clearest statement the man could make that Bennet's not for sale. A previous chairman would have said something like 'We've had a bid from Norwich but it doesn't meet our valuation of the player'. Now that would have been leaving the door open.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm not suggesting for a second that Bennett or A.N.Other first XI player will be either, but these kind of statements mean very little.

If Bennett and/or his agent really want a move then there's very little we can do about it.

He's too valuable to rot in the reserves, so a deal would be struck.

Player power is immense, nomatter how hard a game our chairman plays.

I tend to agree. Also, Bloom is saying on the one hand he doesn't appreciate offers, but on the other hands admits he is trying to bring people in.

It's good that we dont need to sell, but if Norwich or any other club makes an approach, and it doubles EB's money, he must be tempted, who wouldn't? Remember, it's only us fans that are truly loyal to the club

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Great to hear. Unsurprisingly, he says it as us fans see it.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Of course, the REAL worry now is when all those big spenders want to take away Gus Poyet to work for their clubs.

Tony Bloom not taking interest in Bennett's sale is a good step, we need Bennett more than Norwich does, he is an excellent team player, and can work wonders on the pitch sometimes, irregardless of manager.

It's thankful that we have at least got an owner who is a fan of the club and wants to seem them do well.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
This has to be good news of course. It shows how far we have come as a club, under new leadership from the top (Bloom), to the manager (Poyet), and right down to the players. It seems a world apart from only two years ago when we were nearly relegated. We have probably the best up and coming new manager in the league, a chairman who has ambition, passion and a desire to succeed. A fantastic new stadium a few months away from completion that is up there as one of the best new grounds in the country. And to top it all off, players that are wiping the floor clean in this league, sitting proudly, and rightfully top of the table in mid january.

I think that transformation in such a short space of time is extroardinary, BHA are certainly destined for big things. To be in a position of turning down bids from clubs a league above us shows that we mean business.Our perception by others as a club has grown massively, and will continue to grow. Im glad that the club is in a position where we pull the strings, and are not being easily swayed by bigger clubs offering to strip us of our assets.

Tony Bloom:thumbsup:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Whenever I read a Bloom statement; I always think he comes across very well.

Benno is quality and I really hope we keep him.

Bennett Signs New Deal
Posted on: Tue 23 Nov 2010
By Paul Camillin

Elliott Bennett has signed a new deal with Albion, after agreeing a new three-and-a-half-year contract which ties him to the club until the summer of 2014.

The former Wolves winger signed the paperwork at Withdean this afternoon, much to the delight of manager Gus Poyet - whose own contract runs for the same length of time.

The Albion boss said, "Elliott has proved himself to be one of our key players and it is important that we ensure we keep hold of our top players. Elliott has been a good pro and he has earned this new contract.

"I am now looking forward to working with him for the next three-and-a-half years. He has shown he is capable of playing in a number of positions, he enjoys playing our style of football and I think he will continue to get better as a player."

Bennett said, "It was a very easy decision for me. I have really taken to the club ever since I arrived from Wolves last summer. I feel I have grown up as a person and developed as a player. With the new stadium around the corner and Gus Poyet as manager, the club is going in the right direction and I want to be a big part of that journey.

"Gus is a big factor for me. I will always be grateful to Russell Slade for signing me, but the current gaffer has brought his own style of play. It couldn't be any better: I am settled, my missus is settled, the fans have been brilliant and really welcomed me. All of that has really made me feel a part of something here, so it was a very easy decision."

Bennett joined Albion for £200,000 in August 2009, and was one of the main positives from last season, finishing runner-up to Andrew Crofts in the Player of the Season vote.

He has carried his form through to the current campaign, in which he has already contributed two goals and a very impressive thirteen goal assists.

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Bennett Signs New Deal

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I tend to agree. Also, Bloom is saying on the one hand he doesn't appreciate offers, but on the other hands admits he is trying to bring people in.

It's good that we dont need to sell, but if Norwich or any other club makes an approach, and it doubles EB's money, he must be tempted, who wouldn't? Remember, it's only us fans that are truly loyal to the club

I know that every player has his price, but this is an excellent statement by TB and it has put my mind at rest for the time being, it also shows backing of Gus, which is great news.

When you say it is only us fans that are loyal, then I am glad we have one which is the Chairman.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the key things are money and ambition. If Albions ambition matches that of EBs, then the money that EB will earn will take care of itself….I’m sure EBs new contract must have had clauses attached to promotion to the championship.

If EB has bought into Albions ambition and is satisfied with his recently signed contract then he will stay.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Can you give me some examples of where that has happened please?

how about Glenn Murray?

if we don't want to sell him, i see no reason why Bennett wouldn't enjoy being part of a team challenging for the title - even if he did slightly resent being kept back.

AND if the chairman doesn't want to sell (to protect his investment) and we don't have to sell (a new feeling as an Albion fan), the simple answer has to be, it's not worth the risk of making some money and trying to reinvest. And as a result, Bennett and his agent should be left in no doubt, he stays at the club. I don't believe player power is always so great.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think we all need to hear from EB now. If he says he is happy with us then it's game over. If he says he is flattered blah blah then could indicate something else.
I'm not sure EB's silence is particularly golden in this instance

GP indicated in the paper that he would like to hear from EB so hopefully something later today

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not really sure that this statement makes any difference at all. All it is saying is what we knew already, the club want to keep Bennett. Bottom line is if Norwich make a ridiculous offer (which I don't think they will) and offer to double Bennett's wages (which is more likely) then he may still go.

Problem is an agent will possibly be telling Bennett that he can get much higher wages elsewhere etc.

I think this whole thing will come down to Elliot and whether he is happy enough to stay here and continue to learn under Gus or take the quick buck now. My gut feel is that he will decide to do just that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here