Bloom tells Norwich to do one!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Whilst I hope Benno stays, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he actually moved on... PROVIDING we then can go out and buy Lua-Lua.

I know those two are actually quite different players, but in addition to this theory I wonder if Gus believes he already has Benno's replacement in Noone?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What's everyone getting so worried about? Teams higher up the league ladder are bound to be interested in our better players. That's inevitable. The club has shown when turning down transfer requests (twice) from Glenn Murray that the club are willing to keep hold of its top assets. Bennett is ours, he's just signed a long contract, Poyet wants to keep him, Bloom doesn't want to sell. There's nothing to be unduly worried about unless Bennett comes out and says he really, really wants to leave and Norwich come in with a big, big offer. Relax everyone.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Bloom: Bennett is not for sale

Bloom: Bennett is not for sale

Posted 17/01/11 11:26

Chairman Tony Bloom has insisted Elliott Bennett - linked with Norwich - and the rest of Brighton's squad are going nowhere.Winger Bennett has been the subject of interest from Championship high-flyers Norwich, although Bloom has revealed that is the only official enquiry the League One club have to date received in the transfer window.

And he was firm in his response, telling the Seagulls' official website: "There has been interest from Norwich, but we do not want Elliott to go anywhere and we have made that clear to them.

"Elliott is a key part of the squad, which is why we recently gave him a new three-and-half year contract. He has been superb for the club since he came here and we are not surprised he is attracting interest from a club in a higher division."

Bloom continued: "We have to be pragmatic. If you are top of the table then other clubs in higher divisions are going to be attracted to your players. That is part of football and is to be expected. But we don't welcome it and do not intend to, nor need to, sell any of our best players."

Regarding incoming players, he added: "Our supporters know I am not a fan of doing business in the January window. Saying that, we are looking to strengthen our squad even more this month if we are able to recruit a player who brings different qualities to what we already have in the team."

This is the clearest statement the man could make that Bennet's not for sale. A previous chairman would have said something like 'We've had a bid from Norwich but it doesn't meet our valuation of the player'. Now that would have been leaving the door open.

Every players is for sale in the transfer window. Just depends if you actually seal a deal.

If Narrich come and flash a large wedge at us for Bennett, we'd be mad to disregard it.

We sold Crofts for peanuts

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If EB comes out and says he wants to stay that would be great, if he does'nt then the way he plays in the next couple of games will show us fans how he feels.
I think we saw a goalkeeper who did not want to stay at his club on Saturday. For me his body langauge was all wrong.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'm pretty certain EB's happy here but he must be tempted by a move that could see him playing in The Premiership next season. Realistically even if we do go up and are able to invest in the squad further it's going to be at least another couple of years before we are likely to challenge for promotion. Couple that with his agent almost certainly wanting him to move so he gets his big fat fee and the liklehood Norwich are using Crofts to sell the Norwich experience to him and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went given the chance. I hope not but I'm far from confident that he'll stay.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports