Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Birmingham Commonwealth Games

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Final day today, really going to miss the wall to wall sport we've enjoyed for the last 10 days or so. Slightly disappointing in a home games we're trailing the Aussies by so much in the medal table, Hockey girls were amazing and superb to see the audience in a rendition of 'Hockeys coming home', and kudos to them for being the only English athlete/athletes to actually learn the words to Jerusalem.

Yes, I'll miss it, a wonderful distraction. Just add Wales, Scots & NI medals in with England to get a better looking table....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yes, I'll miss it, a wonderful distraction. Just add Wales, Scots & NI medals in with England to get a better looking table....

That unfairly skews it though because most events have a max no of competitors from each country. So with Wales, Scots and NI in some events there are another 9 opportunities for medalists compared to Aussies 3. It's the only thing that has irked me over the weekend, switching over to what seems like every event and seeing an Aussie win/winning, they even beat us for golds in the athletics. Thank god for the girls in the hockey.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
The population of England still is far and away bigger than Australia, and the vast majority of those representing England (and in decreasing numbers the other Home Nations) are part of elite GB or National programmes, funded more considerably than down under, yet eight out of the last nine times Australia have topped the medal table, the exception being the 2014 Glasgow Games. So whilst I get the, Team GB narrative changing the medal table, England in terms of opportunity should be beating Australia in terms of the metrics measured above.

I have the pleasure of working with athletes on both sides of the globe http://www.onesportingworld.com incredibly free of cost for corporates to work with them, and the Aussies in our group have been a little unbearable :smile:

Looking forward to the Autumn series of Beat The Medallist challenges to see if people (with time off bonuses linked to their fundraising) can actually previal in head to head challenges with the athletes.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes it’s been great - I was in Birmingham on the opening day and have been again over the weekend(apart from yesterday obvs). The atmosphere has been fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed some of the musical items tonight connecting with my time in the city in the early 80’s - the remnants of UB40, Musical Youth(no longer youthful), Dexy’s, Bhangra, metal - plenty to enjoy and Kevin Rowlands’ attire was as memorable and striking as you’d expect. Well played Birmingham!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Finished with Ozzy and Black Sabbath - marvellous scenes

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I also don’t understand why England can’t w8n more medals than AUSTRALIA, considering the population of both countries , and the investment our athletes get , not good enough

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I kind of feel that the beauty and soul of sport is being sapped out of it - Football, cricket, hockey chocked full of reviews, appeals, challenges whatever you want to call them. That moment of glory, the crossing of the line by 100th of a second, the ball hitting the net, the wickets tumbling, those moments are being entirely diluted while we all sit there waiting to see what the video monkeys will say about it. I think it's a bit sh1t tbh.

And again in the Euros, the long jumper is denied by an (entirely marginal) appeal that is decided hours later, it's rubbish, spoiled my Tuesday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here