Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Birmingham Commonwealth Games

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Can't get my haircut because my barber is currently away competing in the Commonwealth Games!

One of our bowls team actually won a match. Amazing considering she had never bowled on grass before the games and practiced on mats in the school corridor!! (stuck together with tape!)

Brilliant! Come on the Falkland Islands!!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Outrageous VAR decision leads to an Australia goal in the Hockey. It's good to know that it is not just football that struggles with technology. :)

This was the worst decision I can remember in any sport with tv replays. Cricket, football, rugby whatever. It was the most obvious decision I have ever seen wrong. England said “he never stopped the ball to take the free hit” it was worse. He never even tried to. He simply just kept dribbling after the whistle had gone. Absolutely disgusting decision. The onfield umpires must have known it was a shocker because they saw it the same as the crowd and the crowd cheered on seeing the replay. We got awarded lots of dubious short corners after the incident but our execution was shocking. I can’t believe they didn’t try to switch at least one of them. Back in the day we scored loads more with a switch than standard drag flick.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was there for it - great atmosphere and really well deserved medal!

So was I! And we cheered the Isle of Man competitor in the Pole Vault when he achieved his personal best, and the bloke from the Solomon Islands when he finished in the 5,000 metres, who still had 3 laps to go when the leaders finished. Great atmosphere!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Did anyone see Eilish McColgan last night. Absolutely thrilling race, she just refused to be beaten, atmosphere was absolutely electric and carried her to the line. Magnificent sporting drama and then to see her mum and coach in the audience who had won the same race at the Commonwealth Games twice before was such a lovely moment.

We were there tonight for the men’s 5,000 metre final and were astonished at their pace on the final bend. The TV makes it seem a lot slower.
But Eilish McColgan was stunning. I have to admit I really enjoy the distance events!

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just got back great evening

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
looks like our 4x400m women Gold medalists have been disqualified !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
looks like our 4x400m women Gold medalists have been disqualified !

Appealing but not any hope as two stepped out of their lane unfortunately

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Appealing but not any hope as two stepped out of their lane unfortunately

I kind of feel that the beauty and soul of sport is being sapped out of it - Football, cricket, hockey chocked full of reviews, appeals, challenges whatever you want to call them. That moment of glory, the crossing of the line by 100th of a second, the ball hitting the net, the wickets tumbling, those moments are being entirely diluted while we all sit there waiting to see what the video monkeys will say about it. I think it's a bit sh1t tbh.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I kind of feel that the beauty and soul of sport is being sapped out of it - Football, cricket, hockey chocked full of reviews, appeals, challenges whatever you want to call them. That moment of glory, the crossing of the line by 100th of a second, the ball hitting the net, the wickets tumbling, those moments are being entirely diluted while we all sit there waiting to see what the video monkeys will say about it. I think it's a bit sh1t tbh.

Can’t help thinking that much of it is due to pressure from the gambling companies

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Can’t help thinking that much of it is due to pressure from the gambling companies

That's a fair shout, at least in part. I do think that as people we're so entitled now and the idea that something can go against us results in toys being thrown out of pram and a demand to make things right. Life will be unfair on us, it's a concept that's worth getting used to!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Final day today, really going to miss the wall to wall sport we've enjoyed for the last 10 days or so. Slightly disappointing in a home games we're trailing the Aussies by so much in the medal table, Hockey girls were amazing and superb to see the audience in a rendition of 'Hockeys coming home', and kudos to them for being the only English athlete/athletes to actually learn the words to Jerusalem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Relay races were always subject to review especially as the changeover of the baton is so precise. I can remember teams getting disqualified in the 80s long before VAR or DRS were invented.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Squash Women's Doubles final about to start on iPlayer with England's pair going for gold. Squash doubles is a great old thrash if you haven't watched before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here