Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Birmingham Commonwealth Games

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone else excited by this? With the Womens Euro success this is shaping up to be the best summer since 2012 and possibly beyond.

Opening ceremony tonight, been speaking to my Villa supporting relative who lives in Birmingham and he said the city is absolutely buzzing at the moment. He said they are expecting a worldwide audience of over 1.5 BILLION tonight :ohmy: which would be the largest audience ever and shows what a draw Birmingham is.

Whilst the games will have to confront its racist past this should ultimately be a celebration of great sport and showcase the great city of Birmingham.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Anyone else exciting by this? With the Womens Euro success this is shaping up to be the best summer since 2012 and possibly beyond.

Opening ceremony tonight, been speaking to my Villa supporting relative who lives in Birmingham and he said the city is absolutely buzzing at the moment. He saids they are expecting a worldwide audience of over 1.5 BILLION tonight :ohmy: which would be the largest audience ever and shows what a draw Birmingham is.

Whilst the games will have to confront its racist past this should ultimately be a celebration of great sport and showcase the great city of Birmingham.

I have said elsewhere about my fondness for the city, and am also really looking forward to it though locally there is also a lot of cynicism I believe. I will be going to several events including a few nights at the athletics. I will probably have spares for Friday night of the athletics (and rugby 7s) but not easy to find a home now that the resale site has closed, however they can be transferred to friends/family.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:facepalm:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Damn fine show of us to let those colonials in to have a turn. Damn fine show

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Forgot to mention that the one and only DURAN DURAN, Birmingham and indeed Britain's finest will be doing a top secret turn at the opening ceremony.

:O

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I will be going to several events including a few nights at the athletics. I will probably have spares for Friday night of the athletics (and rugby 7s) but not easy to find a home now that the resale site has closed, however they can be transferred to friends/family.

Am looking forward to the games, although not quite as much as I was. Its very annoying that the resale site closed a few weeks before the games as my wife and I can no longer go to Birmingham for a week due to personal circumstances, so I've been left with many tickets I can't use or sell and no friends/family who live in Birmingham who could use them. I'm a rule follower so not going to try and sell them like some are doing on StubHub etc but that won't stop me having a bloody good whinge about the situation! :annoyed: :flounce:

The one event I am going to is the velodrome on Saturday which is usually good fun, and once the games start I'm sure I'll enjoy it and follow it all. Hope you enjoy the events you're going to!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Good to see born and bred Brummies Ellie Simmonds, Lenny Henry and Denise Lewis on the BBC panel. Think this is going to be very, very special.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a feeling that [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] had a hand in planning this opening ceremony.

Will our dear prime minister make an appearance later? Flanked by Trevor Francis and Jasper Carrott, perhaps?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is this just me or is this all arty farty bollocks!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I have a feeling that [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] had a hand in planning this opening ceremony.

Will our dear prime minister make an appearance later? Flanked by Trevor Francis and Jasper Carrott, perhaps?

Jeff Lynne rather than Bojo and now you’re talking!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The men's beach volleyball team? ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh FOR FECK SAKE…now we are interviewing athletes from countries…this could take hours!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here