Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
GILMOUR SIGNS FROM CHELSEA

Brighton & Hove Albion are delighted to confirm the signing of midfielder Billy Gilmour from Chelsea for undisclosed terms.

The Scotland international has signed a four-year contract and is eligible to face Leicester City on Sunday.

Head coach Graham Potter said, “Billy arrives with a fantastic pedigree, having played in the Premier League and Champions League as well as for Scotland at last year’s Euros. He will complement our existing midfield options.

“That experience at quite a young age shows the strength of character he has and we’re really excited by his potential.

“Now it’s about allowing him the time to get used to a new environment and settling in to our club. We can’t wait to work with him.”

The 21-year-old came through the ranks with Rangers, before making the move to Chelsea in 2017.

He made his Premier League debut aged 18 as a substitute against Sheffield United in 2019, before making two appearances in the Champions League in 2020/21 as Thomas Tuchel’s team won Europe’s biggest competition. Billy was an unused substitute in the final.

He spent last season on loan with Norwich City, where he made 23 Premier League appearances.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The fee is £7.5m, rising to £10m, according to Beeb. Cheap gamble.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Happy with that. Plus point for me was that I had actually heard of him before it appeared on here.

I have no doubt that GP will improve what looks like an already good player.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Our fans? Surely not. This is just ****ing mental behaviour.

Sadly so (checked through timeline and profile expecting to see Palace but no)
Also this was on fb
df597634039335eaf9aee24258eab908.jpg

Unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Also this was on fb

Unbelievable

Maybe has an axe to grind being an ex-youth team player and former NI schoolboys player.

Some people can’t see the bigger picture.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Also this was on fb

Unbelievable

christ. I mean, I'm disappointed we haven't got a striker but f***ing hell.

on a (slightly) separate note, leaving that facebook group is one of the best decisions I've ever made. makes this place look like a Mensa convention

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Also this was on fb

Unbelievable

I like how the suggestion to treble or quadruple our record transfer fee is preceded by the qualifier 'Just'. As if we can compete financially with the teams that buy players for £60m+.

Only four centre forwards have ever been bought by EPL clubs for more than £60m and two of them are Romelu Lukaku!

I'm starting to think that certain scenes from this film should be required viewing for our fans.

'If we try to play like The Yankees in here, we will lose to The Yankees out there'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I like how the suggestion to treble or quadruple our record transfer fee is preceded by the qualifier 'Just'. As if we can compete financially with the teams that buy players for £60m+.

Only four centre forwards have ever been bought by EPL clubs for more than £60m and two of them are Romelu Lukaku!

I'm starting to think that certain scenes from this film should be required viewing for our fans.

'If we try to play like The Yankees in here, we will lose to The Yankees out there'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag

Yep I've seen so many people say "moneyball doesn't work with football" but we are a living testament that it does. We cannot and will not pay over 60m+150k pw wages for a proven Premier League striker. So we have to think outside the box. This means we either produce our own or adapt our methods to produce goals from other areas of the pitch. Or we retrain players to play in other positions.... In Moneyball I remember they retrain the Chris Pratt character to play a different position based on his good hit statistics. It looks like we are looking at doing this or at least trying to with Mwepu (didn't work against Fulham but these things take time). There are famous cases of this being done successfully. Thierry Henry immediately springs to mind.

As the video says if we try to conduct our business the way the big money clubs do..we will lose.

But to many it's still a simple case of "Tony get yer cheque book aaaaaat!" Risking the financial stability of the club cos they're not happy with 9th and not having Haaland on the back of their replica shirt.

Idiots.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
. But a side which won games when he wasn’t playing 🤷

I've sympathy for both Gilmour and for Norwich fans over last season. He arrived as some kind of star, because of a couple of stand out performances, but was really an U21 player struggling to learn his trade in a team under a lot of pressure. The fans were told that they were lucky to be seeing some wonder kid, but their first two games were hammerings from Liverpool and Man City. He was obviously noticing that this wasn't like partnering Kante or Jorginho and the Norwich fans were watching him struggle whilst being told by the media that he wasn't struggling, but being let down by those around him.

Even when he wasn't being picked, there were idiot pundits saying that Norwich's problem was that they weren't picking him. The hype wasn't grounded in the reality of 21 year olds being expected to anchor an EPL midfield. Of those players under 22 last season, only Gilmour and Jacob Ramsey played more than 20 games in centre midfield and Ramsey generally played in a more advanced role.

Weirdly, he'll now end up in a squad with a central midfielder who is even younger than him, but who currently does look capable of successfully anchoring an EPL midfield at such a ridiculously young age. He'll need to work hard to compete for a place with Caicedo and Mac Allister, but he will not have to shoulder the expectations of 'wonder kid loaned to relegation battlers'. He has displayed obvious talent and potential in some matches. Hopefully, our coaching team can nurture him like they have other youngsters and help him start to become, on a consistent basis, the player that Norwich fans were led to believe they were getting last year.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
A lot of so called 'fans' are bashing this kid before he has even ****ing trained with the Seagulls, more less made an appearance for us. Yes, I would have liked another striker as much as the next person, but it did not happen. Wipe your tears and move on. Gilmour has some very good attributes, and I think can really thrive in Potter's system.

It continues to flabbergast me how people think we can just go out and buy top notch players left and right. TB has a mindset on how he wants to do things in the transfer market, and it is paying dividends and I believe will continue to do so.

Anyway...

Welcome Billy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here