Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
[tweet]1565478357319294977[/tweet]

That video was not worth staying up for FFS!

Never mind, we have a player with an extraordinarily high ceiling for a great price. We didn’t really need him at all (remember how good Alzate was against Chelsea?) but it takes the edge off the disappointment of missing out on a ‘Welbeck Profile’ striker and some South American wonderkids.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
A lot of so called 'fans'

Welcome Billy!

“Fans” can say what they like. They don’t always have to toe the party line. You wouldn’t have lasted 5 mins in the north stand at the goldstone with this happy clappy attitude.

(I think it’s a good signing by the way).

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
A lot of so called 'fans' are bashing this kid before he has even ****ing trained with the Seagulls, more less made an appearance for us. Yes, I would have liked another striker as much as the next person, but it did not happen. Wipe your tears and move on. Gilmour has some very good attributes, and I think can really thrive in Potter's system.

It continues to flabbergast me how people think we can just go out and buy top notch players left and right. TB has a mindset on how he wants to do things in the transfer market, and it is paying dividends and I believe will continue to do so.

Anyway...

Welcome Billy!

Looking at the clip of him in the above post, he looks like a young version of Lallana.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
And yet there are fans on Twitter saying Bloom “isn’t out of pocket” and is only “in it for the money”. I would link to the tweets but they blocked me for calling them f***ing morons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dickheads on social media shocker... just ignore - not worth anyone's time or effort

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
“Fans” can say what they like. They don’t always have to toe the party line. You wouldn’t have lasted 5 mins in the north stand at the goldstone with this happy clappy attitude.

We can have different levels of enthusiasm for different players. I don't feel entirely thrilled about his arrival but I am looking forward to being proven wrong. I feel a little similar about Pervis at moment. He seems to be a bit loose with his passing and makes mistakes, but again I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We can have different levels of enthusiasm for different players. I don't feel entirely thrilled about his arrival but I am looking forward to being proven wrong. I feel a little similar about Pervis at moment. He seems to be a bit loose with his passing and makes mistakes, but again I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

In Pervis's case wouldn't it be fairer to say "he has made mistakes" rather than "he makes mistakes"?

As for Billy, I've got high hopes. I'm not sure how anyone who's seem him play wouldn't be a little excited.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In Pervis's case wouldn't it be fairer to say "he has made mistakes" rather than "he makes mistakes"?

As for Billy, I've got high hopes. I'm not sure how anyone who's seem him play wouldn't be a little excited.

You are probably right on both counts. Like I say, looking forward to being proven wrong.

Just making the point that we don't all have to be head over heels with excitement about every player.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Cucurella started a bit shaky first couple of games if I recall. Remember he said interview he found those first games really difficult.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This may have been posted before?

He’ll do for me. Looks a battler, strong on the ball, loads of ball skills and he can make a pass. I’ll go out on a limb and say he’s going to be a star for us :smile:

https://youtu.be/kDKkNMHYqds

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

What you say is true. But both positions are 'attitudes', maybe they are both allowed whether deemed sensible or not. Why shouldn't people dislike moronic comments? That's exactly how it worked in the old North Stand, there was often a difference in opinion just as now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

He’ll do for me. Looks a battler, strong on the ball, loads of ball skills and he can make a pass. I’ll go out on a limb and say he’s going to be a star for us :smile:

All of this. And like Tariq Lamptey, coming from a Big Six club, there's every chance he'll relish his role at the Albion in it's own right, rather than simply looking on it as a stepping stone to somewhere else. Great signing! :clap2:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cucurella started a bit shaky first couple of games if I recall. Remember he said interview he found those first games really difficult.

Sorry. I don’t recall that. I remember the opposite in fact. He might have said he found it difficult but he was absolute class from the off. A rare occurrence with a new foreign player in the EPL.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Welcome Billy boy!
He must know that we are well stocked with quality midfield players and will have to earn his place. If he has got it , Potter is the right man to bring him on.
I only saw him in the England/Scotland game and he was awesome in that . Let’s hope for good things.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Genuine question, what do you actually get out of posting on here pretending to be a Brighton fan? It just seems a bit of a sad thing to do.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry. I don’t recall that. I remember the opposite in fact. He might have said he found it difficult but he was absolute class from the off. A rare occurrence with a new foreign player in the EPL.

You might be right, I think he looked a little shaky away to Brentford and was subbed but home to Leicester he may well have got motm. Maybe I’m thinking more about what he said than what he actually did.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Now that's what I call a highlights reel. He's a real baller, and we're going to enjoy him. He will be good alongside Caicedo, who breaks up play and is our ballwinner. Gilmour can open up space with his trickery.

In his Wikipedia, he lists Cesc Fàbregas, Luka Modrić and Andrés Iniesta as his football role models.

In that showreel, opposition players couldn't get near him to hack him down. It'll be interesting to see if the club get him to pack on weight like we've done with Trossard.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've sympathy for both Gilmour and for Norwich fans over last season. He arrived as some kind of star, because of a couple of stand out performances, but was really an U21 player struggling to learn his trade in a team under a lot of pressure. The fans were told that they were lucky to be seeing some wonder kid, but their first two games were hammerings from Liverpool and Man City. He was obviously noticing that this wasn't like partnering Kante or Jorginho and the Norwich fans were watching him struggle whilst being told by the media that he wasn't struggling, but being let down by those around him.

Even when he wasn't being picked, there were idiot pundits saying that Norwich's problem was that they weren't picking him. The hype wasn't grounded in the reality of 21 year olds being expected to anchor an EPL midfield. Of those players under 22 last season, only Gilmour and Jacob Ramsey played more than 20 games in centre midfield and Ramsey generally played in a more advanced role.

Weirdly, he'll now end up in a squad with a central midfielder who is even younger than him, but who currently does look capable of successfully anchoring an EPL midfield at such a ridiculously young age. He'll need to work hard to compete for a place with Caicedo and Mac Allister, but he will not have to shoulder the expectations of 'wonder kid loaned to relegation battlers'. He has displayed obvious talent and potential in some matches. Hopefully, our coaching team can nurture him like they have other youngsters and help him start to become, on a consistent basis, the player that Norwich fans were led to believe they were getting last year.

Great post. Let’s see how he does being in a more constructive environment under a coaching team that is developing a fantastic track record of working with younger players and integrating them at the right time rather than slinging them in at the deep end against a backdrop of unreasonable expectations. Perhaps another example of a younger player looking at what we’ve been doing and thinking we’re a decent option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here