[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Imagine a few years ago thinking you'd be upset with a PL record between April and now of P13 W8 D3 L2...

You can do anything with stats. Just change the period covered and you'd get a different result.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Chelsea fans are livid. Reckon this could turn out to be absolute steal. Most seem to think he should be playing.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
But if we'd had a decent striker on the pitch or any striker come to that we might at least have got something from the game. A wasted opportunity in my view.
As Potter alluded to post match, if too many players have an off night then the tactics are largely irrelevant..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can do anything with stats. Just change the period covered and you'd get a different result.

It's a fact that is the form from our last 13 league games. Not that you like to deal in facts of course. Money in the bank and all that...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Two defensive debacles cost us the game, a rare Albion loss, we live and learn.

If, if, if...

If we'd started with a 'decent striker' on the pitch the game would've played out differently. May still have lost but for other reasons, who knows.

As you say, we live and learn

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
As Potter alluded to post match, if too many players have an off night then the tactics are largely irrelevant..

He would say that wouldn't he. Nothing to do with his team selection.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Debacle? We lost a game of football, by a single goal, away from home, in the premier league, for the first time in 9 matches….

Exactly. We’re unfortunately developing a group of entitled, clueless numpties who can’t accept that whilst we’re doing pretty well, the PL is highly competitive and we’re going to lose a few games. Some of the comments on Tues night in the ground were ridiculous - ‘Estupiñan is ****, we shouldn’t have signed him…..Potter is clueless……March is ****…….Sanchez is a clown……..etc etc. A relentless tirade of ill-judged, senseless bullshit. We were a bit under par, Potter’s lineup didn’t quite work/click and yet we only lost by a single goal away to a team that drew with Liverpool :moo:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If, if, if...

If we'd started with a 'decent striker' on the pitch the game would've played out differently. May still have lost but for other reasons, who knows.

As you say, we live and learn

We beat Spurs away without a striker on the pitch in one of our best away performances in the PL.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for your concern. I'm not angry and upset,. Nor am I unappreciative. I'm just frustrated that in a key area of business (signing decent strikers) we seem to fall well short of what is needed for a Premier League club.

I would have thought getting a striker of Danny Welbeck's proven ability and class, as a free transfer, then fixing the injury issues that have been troubling him for years, and getting him back to full fitness for longer than anytime in the last 5 years is a work of f***ing genius in the key area of signing decent strikers.

But I guess it's all about opinions :wink:

And, on the signing of Gilmour, I don't believe Biss or Mac were defensive midfielders until GPot got hold of them. Who knows what wee Billy may end up as ???

Last edited:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Gilmour would be a decent signing.

Worth remembering we lost £143m in the 3 years up to 2020/21. Even without Covid we'd have made a substantial loss. Just because we have since sold White, Bissouma and Cucurella for large sums doesn't mean this money would automatically be available for team strengthening.

Our debt is approaching £400m and we are the 4th most indebted club in the PL. Tony Bloom has now invested over £400m in total. In addition to Tony's largesse, we also took out a rare bank loan of over £35m a couple of years ago secured against future TV income. Presumably this was because of the impact of Covid. We might be at the limits of what Bloom is willing or able to personally invest.

sr2.PNG

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
They’re a fairly deluded bunch tbf

They think he’s some kind of God

Which he isn't and most probably won't be.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Replacing Alzate then - but probably with more game time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports