Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Sam could be in trouble...

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Hmm. I hear what you're saying, but I don't totally agree.. We know that the FA happily went along with all Blatter and FIFA's corruption. They muttered a bit but they never took a stand, so it can be inferred that they accept that bribes, bungs and backhanders are an accepted part of football.

However they at least have to be seen to be clean, and the England football manager cleaner than that. It's the most high profile position there is. Rather like a politician caught with his trousers down the fact that 'every one does it' is no excuse. This is a serious breach of trust. Glen Hoddle found his position untenable simply for expressing some personal views on mythology, this is far worse.

Still, can you imagine if it had been 'arry? :)
'arry is teflon and would crawl on his hands and knees if they hold out for one last triffic job.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He should go for playing Rooney let alone any latest scandals.

......and for going out of his way to describe Rooney as " brilliant " against Slovakia and giving every indication that he is building the side around someone who is clearly in decline.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] has called this one for me. He might be a greedy, fat tw@t but his comments on our failings last summer and the FA are spot on.

We'd all like to tell Gary Neville to stick his whiteboard pen up his arse and sit down on it for 90 minutes.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Look folks...this is hardly surprising. Anyone with contacts within football knows that there are certain managers and certain agents who ' sail close to the wind ' It just so happens that two of them share the surname Allardyce. If the FA weren't aware of this, then they are either naive or stupid. They at least should have consulted previous representatives of the FA who shied away from appointing Allardyce for this very reason. Harry was overlooked similarly and they decided to go for a ' whiter than white ' candidate in Hodgson. Sadly, the safe bet isn't always the best bet and I believe that the committee responsible for big Sam's appointment, felt he was the best available and took a calculated gamble, hoping and expecting that he would keep his nose clean. Sam has the skin of a rhino and will shrug this off easily. His big problem is if the press keep running with it and demand action from the FA.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember the line "he loves a bung" wasn't that in relation to Sam or was it Harry?

I'm pretty sure it was about Brian Clough. Less sure who said it but I think it may have been Venables.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are actually comparing an elected Member of Parliament who is trusted to govern over health, finance, education, security etc with a manager of a football team? Reality check.

No I am not. You need Reading lessons that's all. No offence like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
covertly advising businesses on how to find ways around his employers' regulations whilst insulting colleagues. Gross misconduct; summary dismissal; easiest decision a hearing panel would ever have to make.

Quite. Im pretty certain virtually every poster on this site would be fired if they did this at their job.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can't seem to find what he actually said on that article

Can see he said it's still happening and there are ways around it, but can't see how he has actually told them how to do it ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Should never be getting involved in any illegal deals such as these.

1.You deprive clubs of funds by costing them extra fees. Money that could be used to invest in the squad

2.You deprive the Government of extra Revenue in Taxes which could be spent on our health service

3.It encourages the wrong type of people to get involved in the game

I really like Sam and I think he is a very good Manager but you cannot overlook this, otherwise it sends out the wrong message about what is acceptable. You would then be getting into the territory of FIFA in overlooking practices which were against the law.

I hate all these types of schemes where people look for loopholes in legislation. There is nothing wrong with maximising your earning potential but you should do it within the law and pay the correct tax on it.

I am really sorry to see Sam involved in this. He comes across as a really nice down to earth bloke but to be honest people who earn the level of income he earns should not feel the need to go outwith the legislation

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree it is reprehensible but is it sackable?
Having read the Telegraph article it seems he agreed to be on the fringe rather involved in the dodgy deals . He said he had to run it past his employers, the F A .

More a wrap on th knuckles , & a lesson learned.....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Screenshot_2016-09-27-08-51-03.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree it is reprehensible but is it sackable?
Having read the Telegraph article it seems he agreed to be on the fringe rather involved in the dodgy deals . He said he had to run it past his employers, the F A .

More a wrap on th knuckles , & a lesson learned.....

I think the Telegraph have more on him. What's been released so far could just be a teaser with the really meaty stuff to come out. He'll need to come clean with the FA on everything because if he doesn't and more stuff emerges then he'll have to fall on his proverbial sword!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Doesn't look great but think people are over reacting a tad. Doesn't do a hell of a lot wrong really - just advises on a loop hole it seems - greedy though I agree... As for his comments on England's failing to Iceland, apart from the 'Woy' bit he's spot on with his analogy - actually reassures me he may do well in the job :lol:

Trust our press to make shit happen to disrupt our national team :whistle:

I am inclined to agree that advising on a loophole on the face of it does not seem to be too much wrong in that

OR IS THERE ?

We are not really told about the Capacity in which that meeting took place. We do not know whether he was potentially being paid for his advice.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Doesn't look great but think people are over reacting a tad. Doesn't do a hell of a lot wrong really - just advises on a loop hole it seems - greedy though I agree... As for his comments on England's failing to Iceland, apart from the 'Woy' bit he's spot on with his analogy - actually reassures me he may do well in the job :lol:

Trust our press to make shit happen to disrupt our national team :whistle:

I hear what you are saying about the papers they are always the ones.

But in this case what would be worse, our press uncovering now, or some Italian/Spanish etc paper during a WC?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't. I'm self-employed :)

In this case, if you were undermining your "boss", you'd have far greater problems than the threat of the sack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here