Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA January transfer watch

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
While I'm here, what is with Steven Naismith going for £8.5 million? Turning 30 this year, he is a decent player don't get me wrong, but he has never been a brilliant one.. I can't fathom how Norwich came to the conclusion that he is worth that much, I thought it'd be something like £2 million when I saw they were in for him.

They have just sold Grabban for about the same money. They have got rid of a poor prem striker with a poor attitude and replaced him with an average prem striker with an excellent attitude. Good bit of business.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They have just sold Grabban for about the same money. They have got rid of a poor prem striker with a poor attitude and replaced him with an average prem striker with an excellent attitude. Good bit of business.

Well yeah, but blowing their wad on a guy that only has a couple of years left at the top seems a tad short-sighted.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Well yeah, but blowing their wad on a guy that only has a couple of years left at the top seems a tad short-sighted.

I agree with the age bit, but I think all clubs close to the bottom are just going to throw money around this window so they can get their hands on the increase in TV money next season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I agree with the age bit, but I think all clubs close to the bottom are just going to throw money around this window so they can get their hands on the increase in TV money next season.

True, I guess it's not as important to be miserly considering there's even more tv £££ up for grabs. I just cannot get used to the lower-end PL teams being able to splash the cash so freely.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
While I'm here, what is with Steven Naismith going for £8.5 million? Turning 30 this year, he is a decent player don't get me wrong, but he has never been a brilliant one.. I can't fathom how Norwich came to the conclusion that he is worth that much, I thought it'd be something like £2 million when I saw they were in for him.

Naismith for 8.5m I think is great value. If we were promoted he's exactly the type of player I'd want at my club.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Naismith for 8.5m I think is great value. If we were promoted he's exactly the type of player I'd want at my club.

its a lot of dough for a 30y old.... 5 million would be about right i reckon. I thought he was a couple of years younger for some reason.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yann Kermit-gone signs for Reading from Bournemouth. Would have been better than nothing for us - just hope we have someone lined up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yann Kermit-gone signs for Reading from Bournemouth. Would have been better than nothing for us - just hope we have someone lined up.

Beginning to get a little bit brassed off now. Are we making bids for anyone? Kermoghant could have done a decent job for us, scored a few goals, and wouldn't have broken the bank in doing it.

If we end up without a new striker come the end of the window, I'm going to be very disallusioned indeed.

I wish I had an insight into Tony Bloom's thought processes, I really do.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kermit is old even by our group of pensioners.

31 yo would be youngster by our defence. Settled living in the north with a large wedge in PL.

I think the idea is to look for one of the players which everybody was raving about two years or more ago and have lost form and in the 24 -26 year old age bracket. Knockaert was along these lines.

Noone (28) is too old now and even Buckley (26) is older than the players we seem to be looking for.

Stll Greer (35), Bruno (a young 35), Calderón (still only 34), Zamora (35), Rosenoir (31), Crofts (31) are past their sell-by dates.

Even our Manager Hughton (57) and Asst Manager Calderwood (51 yesterday, unmentioned) are no spring chickens.

Standard 4-4-2 was out of date in the early seventies.

For a younger ambitious player, joining the Albion seems like a good prospect to me. Chance of first team football, knocking on the PL.

I don't think we really need an older journeyman.

PS Tony Bloom (45) is a youngster.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Beginning to get a little bit brassed off now. Are we making bids for anyone? Kermoghant could have done a decent job for us, scored a few goals, and wouldn't have broken the bank in doing it.

If we end up without a new striker come the end of the window, I'm going to be very disallusioned indeed.

I wish I had an insight into Tony Bloom's thought processes, I really do.

The risk I can see is IF we don't manage to get a striker in, come the end of the season, if we don't go up, it will be used as a stick to hit the club with, as it will be seen as a massive contributory factor.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• s-GOLDEN-PALACE-large (1).jpg
    s-GOLDEN-PALACE-large (1).jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 395

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The risk I can see is IF we don't manage to get a striker in, come the end of the season, if we don't go up, it will be used as a stick to hit the club with, as it will be seen as a massive contributory factor.

Should those people get in line behind you?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

No forward or midfielder seems to be getting his head on the end of crosses. No point in playing two wingers.

Judge (Brentford) is essentially a midfielder that gets into crossing positions and comes up with a few goals. I do not know how he manages it as he looks useful rather than very good. At age 27, he might be too old?

It does not seem so obvious to me that striker is what we need if Bobby Zamora can hack out the rest of the season and come up with a few more goals.

I would like an experienced covering central defender with a bit of pace so we don't get caught on the break pushing up in search of a goal.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As long as season ticket sales hold up it's all just detail

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No forward or midfielder seems to be getting his head on the end of crosses.

It's not ALL about crosses you know. There are strikers out there that can score with their feet.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

As has been said before in other threads, we are probably just a couple of quality signings away from promotion to the promised land. I'm covinced that those players are out there, and available for fees, and wages, that wouldn't break the bank of Tony.

Why aren't we making them? I guess only Mr. Bloom knows the answer to that.

The club appears to be premier league ready in every department, except the one that matters the most, on the field.

The one thing that is for sure, is that there will be an awful lot of disgruntled fans out there if we fail to make the necessary signings, and we do miss out on promotion.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The one thing that is for sure, is that there will be an awful lot of disgruntled fans out there if we fail to make the necessary signings, and we do miss out on promotion.

Disgruntled? Not me.
Disappointed, perhaps. But who am I to demand the Chairman ploughs more than the £10million a season he already is.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's not ALL about crosses you know. There are strikers out there that can score with their feet.

We've got them, just about. Not counting Baldock. Hemed's conversion rate is not good enough.

But I agree in principle. Don't even need a target man. But if we play 4-4-2 it implies one forward running to the near post and one in the middle as a target.

I would have us playing possession flair football threading the ball in front of our strikers finding space.

I can't think of this magical striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here