• Simply Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take That

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Jimmy Grimble

People getting snobby and/or pissed off about how popular Oasis are? What a shocker!

Fair enough if you don't like their music, but to look down on other people because they do is childish. The amount of people that do it to look 'right-on' in music crowds is embarrassing. I know not all of you on here do it, but a lot of people do (I know people who used to love Oasis but don't now cause they don't see it as cool!)

Oasis' first two albums were brilliant (particularly the first) and that's why they're still popular today(It still gets played in indie clubs today ffs!). Say all you like about Liam and Noel, but Liam was a very talented singer and Noel was (arguably still is - his acoustic shows demonstrate this) a talented musician.

From a subjective viewpoint Oasis were the best for me, because they're music touched me in a way that the other bands didn't. The emotional reaction I used to get from hearing Definitely Maybe and WTSMG as a 16 year old was untouchable. That's just something that they're music did to me - and obviously to thousands of other people. I can't fully explain why I loved those 2 albums so much - aside from the fact Liam's voice was so touching yet so powerful and some of the lyrics were easy to relate to - but I can say what they meant (and still do mean) to me was unbelievable and something that causes me to see them as being the best.

If I was to look at it all objectively and factor in everything that makes a band the 'best' then I'd probably go for the Stone Roses or The Smiths. But I'm not going to do that. Music is about personal preference, and for me personally, the best are Oasis.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably need to consider the demographic of the board - While there will be some younger Smiths fans, you need to be approaching 40 for them to have been around during those teenage years.....

... and for those of us over 50, nearly all these bands never really came into our orbit. Joy Division were around when I was well into music but they were a band that never appealed to me. The rest of the bands (apart from The Fall and Oasis) are completely unknown to me- but that's a typical 53-year-old's reaction.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Second Coming is a great album, it suffered from too high expectations.

Go and have a listen, it is better than great.

Have to disagree with that. A few good tracks, but very patchy. The stone Roses only made one good album,but LOADS of their best tracks were never on an album like fools gold, elephant stone and sally cinnamon. I've been rediscovering new order because of this thread, so thanks!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hehe. One album wonders Roses v Smiths/Fall? Hehehe.
The new album of the Fall sounds ace too.
The thing about The Fall is that you lose count how many different bands they've actually been. I love Mark E Smith and Infotainment Scan remains one of my fave ever albums, but it's really just Smith and whichever of his mates are available to play at the time. :lolol:

As for Stone Roses, I think you have a point. At least Ian Brown has churned out some decent stuff since then (although never hit the same high mark as those two brilliant Stone Roses albums). This is what turned me off Oasis. Their first two albums were f***ing superb, but since then they've been every bit as formulaic as Status Quo.

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
3 votes for the Inspirals. Absolute scandal. No better site than seeing Clint Boon on the keyboards 1991 (?) in the Event. Sweat dripping off the ceiling that night.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
People getting snobby and/or pissed off about how popular Oasis are? What a shocker!

Fair enough if you don't like their music, but to look down on other people because they do is childish. The amount of people that do it to look 'right-on' in music crowds is embarrassing. I know not all of you on here do it, but a lot of people do (I know people who used to love Oasis but don't now cause they don't see it as cool!)

Oasis' first two albums were brilliant (particularly the first) and that's why they're still popular today(It still gets played in indie clubs today ffs!). Say all you like about Liam and Noel, but Liam was a very talented singer and Noel was (arguably still is - his acoustic shows demonstrate this) a talented musician.

From a subjective viewpoint Oasis were the best for me, because they're music touched me in a way that the other bands didn't. The emotional reaction I used to get from hearing Definitely Maybe and WTSMG as a 16 year old was untouchable. That's just something that they're music did to me - and obviously to thousands of other people. I can't fully explain why I loved those 2 albums so much - aside from the fact Liam's voice was so touching yet so powerful and some of the lyrics were easy to relate to - but I can say what they meant (and still do mean) to me was unbelievable and something that causes me to see them as being the best.

If I was to look at it all objectively and factor in everything that makes a band the 'best' then I'd probably go for the Stone Roses or The Smiths. But I'm not going to do that. Music is about personal preference, and for me personally, the best are Oasis.
top post:thumbsup:
The polarity of opinion Oasis engender seems endless. For me they were a breath of fresh (albeit retro) air in 1994 and I saw almost every London / SE England show they played from may that year (I have when I saw them 11 times according to "the list") before they released Definitely Maybe at year end and then again at the Brighton Centre at the end of January 1995 just before I emigrated. Of the hundreds and hundreds of gigs I've attended over the past 30 years I've rarely seen a better front man than Liam (complete twat that he undoubtedly is).
I have enjoyed every one of their albums apart from the lamentable 3rd one, although disagree with most in thinking their 2nd release was nothing more than a glorified Noel Gallagher wankfest lap of honour that didn't come close to their seminal, yes seminal debut.
Geez, got that off my chest then.
notwithstanding all that JD/NO still take the title of best ever Manc band for me and I never even got to see JD live.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
top post:thumbsup:
The polarity of opinion Oasis engender seems endless. For me they were a breath of fresh (albeit retro) air in 1994 and I saw almost every London / SE England show they played from may that year (I have when I saw them 11 times according to "the list") before they released Definitely Maybe at year end and then again at the Brighton Centre at the end of January 1995 just before I emigrated. Of the hundreds and hundreds of gigs I've attended over the past 30 years I've rarely seen a better front man than Liam (complete twat that he undoubtedly is).
I have enjoyed every one of their albums apart from the lamentable 3rd one, although disagree with most in thinking their 2nd release was nothing more than a glorified Noel Gallagher wankfest lap of honour that didn't come close to their seminal, yes seminal debut.
Geez, got that off my chest then.
notwithstanding all that JD/NO still take the title of best ever Manc band for me and I never even got to see JD live.
correction - from March that year - it matters to me, if not anyone else....

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
It is amazing how one city can spawn so many good bands.

I voted James purely because I've got their greatest hits album on at the mo but looking at the list for the poll there's such a diverse selection.

The misery of The Smiths & Joy Division, the party mess head style of the Happy Mondays, the poppyness of James & the genius yet hit & miss music from the Stone Roses.

Never appreciated Oasis though, a bit too arrogant & too much swagger for my liking and always preferred Blur.

Totally agree with Liam & Noel's comments on 'the fat dancer from Take That' though.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Photo finish between the Smiths and the Stone Roses sees Steven Patricks Boys edge it, if only because they managed to get out more than one album....

Mind you the Durutti Column are my personal faves - always at least one of their records on my cars multi-changer - an acquired taste probably and not many people acquired a taste for 'avant garde jazz classical':facepalm:

Honourable mentions to New Order and the Happy Mondays

Oasis on a good day were an excellent Beatles tribute band and on other days an excellent Slade tribute band

Jimmy Grimble

Prime example of disliking Oasis for the sake of it tonight

I was with some sort at Stonelove, and Oasis came on, I asked if she liked Oasis, her response was "I think they're good, but I don't like them because lots of people like them" :lolol:

Still pulled the silly BINT, though :thumbsup:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Joy Division and New Order have been the cornerstone of my listening for the last 30 years so I couldn't contemplate votong for anyone else.

Of the current crop I mainly listen to Doves, Puressence and Delphic.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
3 votes for the Inspirals. Absolute scandal. No better site than seeing Clint Boon on the keyboards 1991 (?) in the Event. Sweat dripping off the ceiling that night.

9th May 1990 at Top Rank with Ashley & Jackson supporting?
Maybe yours was a year later. That one was a cracker anyway.

Going by albums that I bought:
The Smiths 4 (+HOH&LTB2)
The Fall 4 (the new one is ace)
James 3 (Everything before Goldmother)
Inspiral Carpets 2
Oasis 2
Happy Mondays 2
The Stone Roses 1
Joy Division 0 (I know)
New Order 0
The Chameleons 0
10cc 0

That list is a pretty accurate refection of ranking too. I'd put the Roses up to 2nd/3rd due to a blistering album.

And as if by magic, Girl Afraid pops up on the ipod.

Last edited:

FANBOY

Banned
Feb 4, 2010
JOY DIVISION.

I never really got the smiths although I really really tried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here