Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Benn vs Eubank

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Postponed according to official statement

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

By how long for if Benn gets banned?

And when he does come back will he have the same career trajectory as Michael Barrymore?

In the brave new world of 21st century sport will the major broadcasters even entertain him with this stain on his character?

UFC beckons?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And when he does come back will he have the same career trajectory as Michael Barrymore?

In the brave new world of 21st century sport will the major broadcasters even entertain him with this stain on his character?

UFC beckons?

Tyson Fury has a drugs ban on his record and this doesn’t seem to affect his marketability.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Tyson Fury has a drugs ban on his record and this doesn’t seem to affect his marketability.

That was almost 7 years ago, this week’s shit storm, even though they apparently knew about it in August, will have far reaching ramifications for the sport.

They will want and need a scapegoat, Benn ticks all the boxes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was almost 7 years ago, this week’s shit storm, even though they apparently knew about it in August, will have far reaching ramifications for the sport.

There’s plenty more recent examples though. What’s different about Benn’s failing which will engender “ far reaching ramifications for the sport. ” when no others seemingly have?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

UFC beckons?

He will prob get 6 months

Hasn’t harmed canelo or fury .

He will forever be questioned by his haters though

He should be banned for life . No place for it in the sport

He’s a cash cow though

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I am confident that this will have zero impact on his career.

Loads of boxers have tested positive for various substances over the past few years: Canelo, Billy Joe Sunders, Dillian Whyte, Alexander Povetkin, Luis Ortiz to name a few. It has had no affect on the careers of any of those boxers at all. Boxing is very different to other sports, you only have to look at MTK and the Daniel Kinahan saga, they will literally turn a blind eye to anything!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
There’s plenty more recent examples though. What’s different about Benn’s failing which will engender “ far reaching ramifications for the sport. ” when no others seemingly have?

I take your point, but I just feel this may be the straw that breaks the camels back, the sport has literally been dragged through the mud by Hearn and Benn, rather than accepting the BBB of C’s ruling yesterday they effectively stuck two figures up at the governing body trying to make out they were above the rules, wanting to continue and both fighters collect the reported £7million combined purse.

Robert Smith and rest of the board won’t take this lying down and it could end up costing Benn his career.

Callum Smith was on You tube tonight he didn’t pull any punches, pardon the pun, “ He’s a f****** cheat and should never be allowed in a British ring again”

Frankly I don’t think he’s the only one in boxing who thinks that.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Loads of boxers have tested positive for various substances over the past few years: Canelo, Billy Joe Sunders, Dillian Whyte, Alexander Povetkin, Luis Ortiz to name a few. It has had no affect on the careers of any of those boxers at all. Boxing is very different to other sports, you only have to look at MTK and the Daniel Kinahan saga, they will literally turn a blind eye to anything!

That was before Kinahan ended up on the FBI’s most wanted list, I think the whole landscape has changed.

My gut feeling, might be wrong, is that Benn will end up the Lance Armstrong of British boxing, so far out in the cold they will have to thaw him out just to interview him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Very much this.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I would bet the BBBoC knew about the adverse test at the same time as the Hearn, Benn, Kalle and Jr. and that they were willing for the fight to continue as long as it was kept swept under the rung but when it all got leaked yesterday they were forced to act.

The excuse will be that Benn hasn't failed a UKAD test which the board go by, the board haven't suspended him and they will come up with loads of ridiculous reasons for the 'trace' substance. I wouldn't be surprised if Benn escapes a ban altogether.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
That was before Kinahan ended up on the FBI’s most wanted list, I think the whole landscape has changed.

My gut feeling, might be wrong, is that Benn will end up the Lance Armstrong of British boxing, so far out in the cold they will have to thaw him out just to interview him.

Thats my point really, it took a FBI sanction for them to do anything. Before that they were more than happy to work with, and take money from, the head of Europes largest drugs cartel. In the boxing world it was only Barry Mcguigan that spoke out about it and he was ostracized and labelled as a rat.

I don't see much has changed since then, nobody was taken to task for their involvement, nothing in to the landscape has happened to prevent something similar from happening again. Bob Yalen left as CEO of MTK and was inducted in to the boxing hall of fame a few weeks later, Mathew Macklin who started MTK with Daniel Kinahan is still working as a pundit for Sky!

I am sure that somehow they will find a way to wangle Benn out of it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I would bet the BBBoC knew about the adverse test at the same time as the Hearn, Benn, Kalle and Jr. and that they were willing for the fight to continue as long as it was kept swept under the rung but when it all got leaked yesterday they were forced to act.

The excuse will be that Benn hasn't failed a UKAD test which the board go by, the board haven't suspended him and they will come up with loads of ridiculous reasons for the 'trace' substance. I wouldn't be surprised if Benn escapes a ban altogether.
Makes you wonder who leaked the information and for what reason, Eubank SR didn't want this fight to go ahead, for example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Makes you wonder who leaked the information and for what reason, Eubank SR didn't want this fight to go ahead, for example.

What I do not understand is why the result came back in early September yet it was kept under wraps until it was recently leaked. When would it have become public had it not been leaked? How many other positive results have not been published to the wider public and/or the authorities?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t really follow boxing that much, but this plus the Fury/Joshua nonsense in the last couple of weeks makes it sound like it’s run like a village fete on a bad day rather than a billion dollar sport.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don’t really follow boxing that much, but this plus the Fury/Joshua nonsense in the last couple of weeks makes it sound like it’s run like a village fete on a bad day rather than a billion dollar sport.

Imagine a village fete run by gangsters........

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On top of this there is now a very strong rumour that Eubank Senior has been sectioned under the mental health act, in light of Senior’s perceived ‘demons’ over Michael Watson, the death of his second son Sebastian last year and the fact that the Eubank camp knew about the drug test failure last month it appears things may have got on top of him.

There’s a touch of marmite about all of us and he’s a character that polarises opinion, but I know how hard the struggles with mental health can be, I hope he gets the help he needs and is soon back enjoying life with his family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here