Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As a British company operating in the States we offer 20 days basic plus Summer Fridays, another 12 half days - so 26 in total. This is quite a powerful incentive when recruiting as a lot of the Americans we hire have been on 10 days or so with previous American companies.

When we tell them an 18 year old starting work in the UK will typically get 25 days when he / she starts they are gobsmacked.

When I was working in NY I kept my UK holiday entitlement of 30 days as I was technically only on secondment, albeit for 3 years.

I actually lost count of the number of times I was asked if I actually used them all.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do the French get an additional 10 days after 20 years? If so 45 days plus BHs, Strike days and sickies would amount to about 12 weeks, ie a week per month.!!!

Yes the are on the same incentive as the rest of Europe.

Strangely our polish team have very odd holidays....not many annual holidays, but loads of festival and religious days

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I - more than anyone - appreciate this isn't the thread for serious discussion but how the hell do the Yanks survive with 10 days holiday? A mate of mine is a recruitment consultant (Rip Frank) and he was asked to put forward a candidate for an American company whose holiday entitlement was zero days per year. To his credit he refused. They then upped the offer to a final offer of 5.

Coronavirus will debiltate them with the lack of sick pay and employee rights.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As a British company operating in the States we offer 20 days basic plus Summer Fridays, another 12 half days - so 26 in total. This is quite a powerful incentive when recruiting as a lot of the Americans we hire have been on 10 days or so with previous American companies.

When we tell them an 18 year old starting work in the UK will typically get 25 days when he / she starts they are gobsmacked.

But, try telling an 18 year old here that in the US you get charged for any medical treatment, no doubt they would have racked up a few grand in fees for A&E in those 18 years.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I - more than anyone - appreciate this isn't the thread for serious discussion but how the hell do the Yanks survive with 10 days holiday?

Seems to be a mixture of their puritan work ethic and good old fashioned fear. We have almost had to force them to take vacation leave when they are working for us as they just aren't used to having 20 days to play with, and we can't carry days over - so use it or lose it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But, try telling an 18 year old here that in the US you get charged for any medical treatment, no doubt they would have racked up a few grand in fees for A&E in those 18 years.

One of the biggest deals for US staff is health insurance - it’s part of our package in the States. When we let one of our directors go recently it was that he was worried about more than his actual job - equivalent private insurance for him and his family was over $3000 - a month.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I asked one of our cleaners why she wasnt using the hoover, she explained that they use it on alternate days, when on the other days they go around the office picking up hole punch residue by hand.
Absolute madness, touching the floor with bare hands, picking up all sorts of germs......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I letting my prejudices get the better of me here?

My colleague who uses her holiday too early so for the last 3 years had a parent die in February.
Has now been signed off work indefinitely due to her asthma and this virus.

But she's only just returned to work from 2 weeks full paid sick, because...

...she had Coronavirus.

I thought once you were through it you couldn't catching again?

Oh and spot the jealous man who hates his job and would rather be almost anywhere else.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Am I letting my prejudices get the better of me here?

My colleague who uses her holiday too early so for the last 3 years had a parent die in February.
Has now been signed off work indefinitely due to her asthma and this virus.

But she's only just returned to work from 2 weeks full paid sick, because...

...she had Coronavirus.

I thought once you were through it you couldn't catching again?

Oh and spot the jealous man who hates his job and would rather be almost anywhere else.

I get your jealous angst but being factual about this virus we don’t know if once you’ve caught it whether you can catch it again. This is the problem with heard immunity - just takes one minor mutation and the clock goes right back to zero.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Just overheard on the radio that someone recently used the following expression on a work conference call “let’s nail that beaver to the tree”. Let’s hope they don’t work for the RSPCA.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I can't be arsed to go back over this thread to check, but has anyone seen Bob Mortimer's Train Guy on twitter / instagram? He could've just copied it off some of the posts here. It's all gone a bit quiet on here now some of us are working at home, but there has to be some bellcheesery from Zoom / Teams meetings? I'm finding them even more excruciating than the normal face-to-face meetings so always have another window open on my laptop so don't have to look at my colleagues.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
but there has to be some bellcheesery from Zoom / Teams meetings? I'm finding them even more excruciating than the normal face-to-face meetings so always have another window open on my laptop so don't have to look at my colleagues.

Like those that insist on having their toddler sit on their knee whilst on our morning Zoom meeting, or those that have clearly just got out of bed or are still in bed ! Or those that still don’t understand how Zoom works and how to accept a call so are always late arriving to the meeting. Or those that are eating their breakfast, or those with crap internet connections so you can’t hear a word they are saying, I could go on !!!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I can't be arsed to go back over this thread to check, but has anyone seen Bob Mortimer's Train Guy on twitter / instagram? He could've just copied it off some of the posts here. It's all gone a bit quiet on here now some of us are working at home, but there has to be some bellcheesery from Zoom / Teams meetings? I'm finding them even more excruciating than the normal face-to-face meetings so always have another window open on my laptop so don't have to look at my colleagues.
It's the misuse of the mute button that gets me. On a big group call there's always one BC that leaves themselves unmuted when not talking, so everyone can hear their heavy breathing/crisp eating/kids in the background/horrendous feedback loop.

Then, having gone on mute, when they get asked to speak they always forget to unmute.

How hard is it to use a mute button?! Click it off when you're speaking, and back on when you've finished.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What's work?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Like those that insist on having their toddler sit on their knee whilst on our morning Zoom meeting, or those that have clearly just got out of bed or are still in bed ! Or those that still don’t understand how Zoom works and how to accept a call so are always late arriving to the meeting. Or those that are eating their breakfast, or those with crap internet connections so you can’t hear a word they are saying, I could go on !!!

i forgot to add the people on their Vapes thinking its hilarious blowing a huge cloud into their camera and reappearing through the haze a few seconds later :wanker:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
i forgot to add the people on their Vapes thinking its hilarious blowing a huge cloud into their camera and reappearing through the haze a few seconds later :wanker:

I hate to admit it, but that is the sort of thing I would do....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[tweet]1250849656302645249[/tweet]

[tweet]1242857343517327360[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here