Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look at the ****ing state of him :facepalm:

Shame he can’t be directly billed for whatever medical treatment he received after that.

It’s a shame they even treated him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m really against this; things are fine as they are at the moment.

Yeah, agreed. It would be pandering to the minority of selfish idiots who don’t give a **** about anybody else. A large number of fans would not be prepared to go to the game if they thought they were going to get covered in beer. We’ve seen it in away concourses and we avoid them. Eat and drink elsewhere and go straight into the seats. If that option is removed then we won’t bother.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm clearly not explaining myself properly. What I'm getting at is that opening up the amount of time that people are able to drink something that they've ordered results in less people getting off their faces.
he current system doesn't work for those people but does work for people who fancy getting absolutely obliterated by blitzing a pint of Fosters in 3 minutes. Should we not be discouraging the latter?!

I really don't think people are going to be popping to the bar throughout the half as much as people think they will- how many pints are most people drinking in a 45 minute period at a pub for example? Maybe giving people an option of a two pinter as they do in some gig venues would work, 2 pints in 45 minutes is better than 1 in 3 minutes really.

call me a radical but I just think encouraging a more casual drinking experience- LIKE THEY DO IN BASICALLY EVERY OTHER SPORT is surely better than the current system? I took an american friend to a game at the amex once and we got a pint before the game, he went to take his drink to his seat and couldn't quite believe his ears when I told him that he wasn't allowed....Take a step back and think about how ludicrous the sentence "you're not allowed to drink beer in view of the pitch" is

Sounds like you are talking about yourself. Just because you wouldn’t do something that doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. There’s enough drunkenness at football already, particularly at away grounds. Not all of us are comfortable being around it. Your story about your American friend being surprised at the no drinking in seats rule reminded me of our trip to a baseball match in America where people were getting up to go to the bar every 5 minutes. It was bloody annoying.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
…seriously though, despite the fact I’m one of those with a borderline drink problem that likes to get as many down my neck as I can on a match day, I agree with most on this thread that sadly we can’t be trusted. I’d like to see the facility to be served quicker at half time so we don’t lose 13 minutes of our 15 in the queue. I sit near the end of a row anyway so I can nick off on 38 minutes (not getting in anyones way in the same fashion you’re (only meant to) move at the cricket In-between overs. Quickly order my two pints, cover them in hat, gloves, copy of Razzle etc then go back to my seat for the last 5 minutes of the half, again making sure no one misses any action due to me standing. Yes, I risk said beers being nicked/tampered with, but I’ll take that risk to avoid the queue.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
…seriously though, despite the fact I’m one of those with a borderline drink problem that likes to get as many down my neck as I can on a match day, I agree with most on this thread that sadly we can’t be trusted. I’d like to see the facility to be served quicker at half time so we don’t lose 13 minutes of our 15 in the queue. I sit near the end of a row anyway so I can nick off on 38 minutes (not getting in anyones way in the same fashion you’re (only meant to) move at the cricket In-between overs. Quickly order my two pints, cover them in hat, gloves, copy of Razzle etc then go back to my seat for the last 5 minutes of the half, again making sure no one misses any action due to me standing. Yes, I risk said beers being nicked/tampered with, but I’ll take that risk to avoid the queue.

If you're not joking, then I'd say you're on the wrong side of that borderline and should seriously consider changing your ways / seeking help.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I love a beer at the football but not whilst the game is on. I would probably lamp someone if I got covered in their beer. It’s not needed just leave it as it is.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agree with the general sentiment. The attitude best summed up by a conversation I had before an England game last summer

"Blimey lads, you've got enough to drink here"
"Yeah, I've got one to drink and one to throw in the air when we score"

All these viral videos of pubs going mental when England put a 5th past Panama which then gets replicated by those who don't think for one second that people don't want to wear that pint down their local. It would be the same at the ground (and would be awful during the initial novelty of it)

Cricket meanwhile needs to introduce more alcohol free zones. Families and people of different faiths don't want to be surrounded by dickheads. Whilst the Yorkshire example is extreme, its not uncommon to see different versions of it elsewhere.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Confirm Razzle is A4 without confirming Razzle is A4

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Strange how this "want to be able to go to football without getting beer all over me" is so common... I've been to 200+ football matches where you can drink in the stands and not once did I get covered in beer.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Strange how this "want to be able to go to football without getting beer all over me" is so common... I've been to 200+ football matches where you can drink in the stands and not once did I get covered in beer.

Answer in the post from Iggle Piggle below.

I’m guessing your 200+ football matches have been in your country, maybe the football fans in Sweden are quite happy just watching a football match without throwing beer around when their team score a goal.
We currently can’t be trusted having a lid on a bottle of water when watching a match.

Agree with the general sentiment. The attitude best summed up by a conversation I had before an England game last summer

"Blimey lads, you've got enough to drink here"
"Yeah, I've got one to drink and one to throw in the air when we score"

All these viral videos of pubs going mental when England put a 5th past Panama which then gets replicated by those who don't think for one second that people don't want to wear that pint down their local. It would be the same at the ground (and would be awful during the initial novelty of it)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here