Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
but also...encouraging people to absolutely hammer down as many pints as possible in a tiny time frame results in people getting absolutely smashed and therefore worse behaviour

there's a huge difference between buying a pint at half time and drinking it throughout a 45 minute half- as I think most punters do at non league, (bars are rarely busy during the game) and absolutely ploughing through a pint in about 3 minutes (by the time you've queued) as part of a mad half time rush (i've even seen people neck TWO pints ffs). You get much, much drunker

as for spilled drinks....people have drinks during the game at the amex....are they many cases of people getting scolded with bovril or getting drenched with sticky fanta?

Not sure I'm aware of your first point. Most people who are that way inclined, are drinking before even arriving at the Amex and you can't hammer down pints to your hearts content because of the queues. Of course people may order themselves more than one pint at a time but I don't see that happening in great numbers.

As for your point about bovril etc.. they come in cups with lids so little spillage unless they are completely dropped. Also, you don't get many people making lots of trips to the bars during the game to get multiple bovrils down their neck which you would do if it was alcohol.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm clearly not explaining myself properly. What I'm getting at is that opening up the amount of time that people are able to drink something that they've ordered results in less people getting off their faces. Some people might just like to casually nurse a pint throughout a half whilst watching a bit of football- the current system doesn't work for those people but does work for people who fancy getting absolutely obliterated by blitzing a pint of Fosters in 3 minutes. Should we not be discouraging the latter?!

I really don't think people are going to be popping to the bar throughout the half as much as people think they will- how many pints are most people drinking in a 45 minute period at a pub for example? Maybe giving people an option of a two pinter as they do in some gig venues would work, 2 pints in 45 minutes is better than 1 in 3 minutes really.

call me a radical but I just think encouraging a more casual drinking experience- LIKE THEY DO IN BASICALLY EVERY OTHER SPORT is surely better than the current system? I took an american friend to a game at the amex once and we got a pint before the game, he went to take his drink to his seat and couldn't quite believe his ears when I told him that he wasn't allowed....Take a step back and think about how ludicrous the sentence "you're not allowed to drink beer in view of the pitch" is

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm clearly not explaining myself properly. What I'm getting at is that opening up the amount of time that people are able to drink something that they've ordered results in less people getting off their faces. Some people might just like to casually nurse a pint throughout a half whilst watching a bit of football- the current system doesn't work for those people but does work for people who fancy getting absolutely obliterated by blitzing a pint of Fosters in 3 minutes. Should we not be discouraging the latter?!

I really don't think people are going to be popping to the bar throughout the half as much as people think they will- how many pints are most people drinking in a 45 minute period at a pub for example? Maybe giving people an option of a two pinter as they do in some gig venues would work, 2 pints in 45 minutes is better than 1 in 3 minutes really.

call me a radical but I just think encouraging a more casual drinking experience- LIKE THEY DO IN BASICALLY EVERY OTHER SPORT is surely better than the current system? I took an american friend to a game at the amex once and we got a pint before the game, he went to take his drink to his seat and couldn't quite believe his ears when I told him that he wasn't allowed....Take a step back and think about how ludicrous the sentence "you're not allowed to drink beer in view of the pitch" is

You are explaining yourself properly.

I think some fans will just casually have a pint when watching the game and this won’t be an issue, trouble is there will also be f***wits will spoil it for everyone.

I suppose go back to the early days at the Amex and away games say 6+ years back and I don’t remember fans throwing pints around on a concourse. The year we were promoted to the Prem at a few away games before the match it was difficult to avoid a small group of lads luzzing beer around….Forest away springs to mind.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You are explaining yourself properly.

I think some fans will just casually have a pint when watching the game and this won’t be an issue, trouble is there will also be f***wits will spoil it for everyone.

I suppose go back to the early days at the Amex and away games say 6+ years back and I don’t remember fans throwing pints around on a concourse. The year we were promoted to the Prem at a few away games before the match it was difficult to avoid a small group of lads luzzing beer around….Forest away springs to mind.

On the concourse at Wolves, I got wetter than a dolphin's wet bits

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Tweet is no longer accessible. What was happening?

I assume it's the rotund fella drinking 'one last beer' before all but passing out and looking like he was having a fit.

Nothing to see here.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The Tweet is no longer accessible. What was happening?

Apologies.
Group of lads watching Yorkshire CCC, one lad downed multiple pints in a row surrounded by at least 50 others cheering him on.
On his last pint he fell over the seats in front, he was then carried out on some sort of stretcher with everyone around chanting Yorkshire.

Shame it’s been deleted, I have it saved on my Twitter direct messages as I sent it to my son earlier.

3C64C19B-C284-475D-A644-858691F8F5CC.jpeg

BC5F4E11-CD7D-46FB-B62B-59D32459CE28.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Look at the ****ing state of him :facepalm:

Shame he can’t be directly billed for whatever medical treatment he received after that.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

Just found this older post and have to disagree.

It is a fundamental law of physics that you could not get obliterated by blitzing a pint of Fosters in 3 minutes.

Maybe a pint of Stella. Maybe more a pint of Leffe.

Maybe more a ‘mega pint’ of red wine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m really against this; things are fine as they are at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here