Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I love a few beers on football day before and after the match, but I also see absolutely no need to have one during the game.

Changing this would put it on the irritation level of the imbeciles at the cinema.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No due to all the reasons already mentioned.

If people cannot go 45 minutes without a drink they should either go to AA or the pub.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not seen many posts like that - maybe 1 or 2?

There seems to be an assumption that beer will be thrown around - I really don’t think it would be as bad as people are imagining.

I know there were lots of videos of it during the last World Cup and Euros but that’s a different context. I think it’s highly unlikely an Albion STH will luzz a pint up in the air as the result will be strong action against them from the club (the only way beer in the ground would be sanctioned is with very strict rules around this).

Before lockdown the North Stand concourse would be awash with beer and plastic pint pots after a decent result, can’t see that really being any different if people are allowed to take pints onto the ‘terrace’.
I don’t mind admitting that I’m nearly 40 and I have very little interest in being coated in beer every game.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I don't understand the need to drink so much alcohol at the football anyway. I understand you want to have a good time, but that's what the football is there for. One or two to help you lighten up is fine, but more than that? Suggests you may have an issue that the drink just exacerbates. Being able to bring one drink back to your seat is fine, but multiple? No thank you, football fans unfortunately can't be trusted.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Before lockdown the North Stand concourse would be awash with beer and plastic pint pots after a decent result, can’t see that really being any different if people are allowed to take pints onto the ‘terrace’.
I don’t mind admitting that I’m nearly 40 and I have very little interest in being coated in beer every game.

Exactly. I think it started happening in our promotion season and I’ve seen it in videos at games and in pubs and “fan zones” ever since. It seems to be a thing nowadays and I don’t much care for it.

A bit like standing makes me think hard about away games, this beer luzzing makes me want to get away from the crowds for a beer. It’s a shame, as there’s nothing more fun than a happy football crowd celebrating a win with a sing song and a drink. Just drink it, don’t luzz it. Chairs are for luzzing, not pints!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Exactly. I think it started happening in our promotion season and I’ve seen it in videos at games and in pubs and “fan zones” ever since. It seems to be a thing nowadays and I don’t much care for it.

A bit like standing makes me think hard about away games, this beer luzzing makes me want to get away from the crowds for a beer. It’s a shame, as there’s nothing more fun than a happy football crowd celebrating a win with a sing song and a drink. Just drink it, don’t luzz it. Chairs are for luzzing, not pints!

Agreed.
I appreciate this will make me sound like an old fart but this sort of behaviour is just part of the ‘who can be the biggest dickhead’ culture nowadays.

Jimmy Grimble

It’s a social media thing isn’t it? Youngsters across the country compete to have the craziest videos in all forms, football celebrations included.

I still think the stuff that has gone on in the past on the concourse is a different context to having a beer in the stand. When it gets silly in the concourse, it generally centres around a group and it’s easy to stay away from them. There’s been no real need for the club to get involved. If drinking is allowed at your seat, the club will 100% have a more hard-lined policy about acceptable behaviours.

Jimmy Grimble

Spilling drinks has also been mentioned more than once on this thread. The plastic pint cups are very flimsy, I can imagine someone 5 pints in trying to negotiate getting to his seat in the middle of a row.
More than one person is going to get some on their shoes or down the back of their head.

Yeah, this would probably happen. Hopefully they’d get those solid, reusable ones which you have to pay a deposit for - might make people less likely to chuck them too!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Why can’t we stall urinals (the gutter ones) into each row, seems to make sense and deals with the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't understand the need to drink so much alcohol at the football anyway.

The younger generation don’t actually drink it…for some weird reason they prefer to luzz it around.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
reading through this thread, it's pretty obvious who has and who hasn't regularly gone to watch non league

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
As someone that has commented on this thread and also is a regular at non league matches, I’m not sure what your point is.

that allowing people to drink throughout the half won't result in some sort of roman orgy with people stumbling around, throwing beer all over the place

in fact I very rarely see people absolutely plastered at non league but it's quite a common occurrence at Brighton games

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
that allowing people to drink throughout the half won't result in some sort of roman orgy with people stumbling around, throwing beer all over the place

in fact I very rarely see people absolutely plastered at non league but it's quite a common occurrence at Brighton games

You have almost answered your point in the first sentence here in your second sentence :)
I’ve seen many fans at the Amex absolutely hammered.

I’m not sure where you watch non league but it’s obvious nothing like going to the Amex.
The yoof that usually luzz beer on the concourse in the North stand ( occasionally ) are the sort of fans that don’t go to non league.

I have mentioned on this thread about fans spilling beer on others when going back to their seats, others have mentioned fans up and down from their seats to the toilet.
At non league games that I go to most fans spread out and if there is seating it’s not usually packed out like at the Amex.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
You have almost answered your point in the first sentence here in your second sentence :)
I’ve seen many fans at the Amex absolutely hammered.

I’m not sure where you watch non league but it’s obvious nothing like going to the Amex.
The yoof that usually luzz beer on the concourse in the North stand ( occasionally ) are the sort of fans that don’t go to non league.

I have mentioned on this thread about fans spilling beer on others when going back to their seats, others have mentioned fans up and down from their seats to the toilet.
At non league games that I go to most fans spread out and if there are seating it’s not usually packed out like at the Amex.

but also...encouraging people to absolutely hammer down as many pints as possible in a tiny time frame results in people getting absolutely smashed and therefore worse behaviour

there's a huge difference between buying a pint at half time and drinking it throughout a 45 minute half- as I think most punters do at non league, (bars are rarely busy during the game) and absolutely ploughing through a pint in about 3 minutes (by the time you've queued) as part of a mad half time rush (i've even seen people neck TWO pints ffs). You get much, much drunker

as for spilled drinks....people have drinks during the game at the amex....are they many cases of people getting scolded with bovril or getting drenched with sticky fanta?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
No, but only because of all the plastic cups. There's too much plastic wastage as it is.
Proper glasses of wine and beer would be better, but then there's a risk of broken glass and risk of away teams taking the piss.
Paper cups doesn't seem right either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I usually drive to games so am probably a bit biased in having no desire to get soaked in beer or have ***** getting up every few mins to get another pint or evacuate their previous one, but suspect it’ll happen as there seems to be some momentum behind the view. What’s more interesting now is the COLOSSAL number of 18-30ish lads who need a poo before the game, and are seemingly happy to share a cubicle :wrong:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
but also...encouraging people to absolutely hammer down as many pints as possible in a tiny time frame results in people getting absolutely smashed and therefore worse behaviour

there's a huge difference between buying a pint at half time and drinking it throughout a 45 minute half- as I think most punters do at non league, (bars are rarely busy during the game) and absolutely ploughing through a pint in about 3 minutes (by the time you've queued) as part of a mad half time rush (i've even seen people neck TWO pints ffs). You get much, much drunker

as for spilled drinks....people have drinks during the game at the amex....are they many cases of people getting scolded with bovril or getting drenched with sticky fanta?

I am currently on a break from drinking but before a Saturday match at the Amex I would drink in the pub and on the train in, I overdid it many times :) but I never drank on the concourse before a match or at halftime.
I think many fans turning up hammered to the Amex will be the problem with spilling drinks and constantly visiting the bogs.

I’ve also spent non league games in the bar when it’s been cold, I could see some of the pitch through the window :)

Bovril cups have lids and the sort of fan that drinks it is usually not pissed up and clumsy :)
I’m not sure what happens in the family stand with the sticky Fanta drinkers TBH :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here