Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham's wages at PSG will go to a local children's charity

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're not being cynical, actually. You're being churlish and mean-spirited, unnecessarily looking to find fault where there is none.

My view is that the huge amount probably in excess of 2m either £ or Euros will get taken up by the people in high places and not get to the root of the problem as happened with a vast majority of Bob Geldorfs raised moneys. I think that its a grand gesture but he has been manipulated and badly advised to suit certain individuals.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Just watched the interview with Darren Tullet(Shoreham born) and Beckham on Bein Sports. Whatever people think of Beckham he is box office wherever he goes. Nice gesture regarding his salary whatever the finer details.

They are literally wetting themselves over here. I'll have to pop down the road to watch him at some stage

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My view is that the huge amount probaly in excess of 2m either £ or Euroswill get takren up by the people ion high places and n0pot get to the root of the problem as happened with a vast majority of Bob Geldorfs raised moneys. I think that its a grand gesture but he has been manipulated and badly advised to suit certain individuals.

But your view is completely unfounded. With zero basis in fact. They haven't even announced which charity he is donating to. You've simply made up what you want to believe, to suit your agenda (of finding something to moan about).

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I wont donate to either of those as the administration costs take too much out of it. I read once that the actual money going to the source of the charity ie research or a foreign country is less than 10p in the £

Cancer research:
80% goes to research.

Oxfam:
84% emergency, campaign and development
9% support costs
7% invested for the future

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Haven't read the whole thread, but the reason why he probably told everyone he's giving it to charity is because if he didn't people would be saying 'last big payday' etc where's he's actually a very classy individual.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not moaning as I said it is a grand gesture but put yourself in the position of an organiser of any charity just as an example a local hospital that suddenly get an unexpected windfall of possibly 1/2m Euros a month come into the coffers how much would your wage or expenses go up would you have a BMW or Merc for your next company car rather than a Focus. I agree we need to see how the finer details pan out but I can forsee problems

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Nice gesture, it's a shame all extremely wealthy people don't follow Bill Gates philanthropic example. Do they really need multi millions sitting in offshore bank accounts when it could be doing so much good for their fellow disadvantaged human beings?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not moaning as I said it is a grand gesture but put yourself in the position of an organiser of any charity just as an example a local hospital that suddenly get an unexpected windfall of possibly 1/2m Euros a month come into the coffers how much would your wage or expenses go up would you have a BMW or Merc for your next company car rather than a Focus. I agree we need to see how the finer details pan out but I can forsee problems

I think I see your argument. If I was donating large amounts to a charity I would make sure I received a breakdown as to where my money was being spent with the emphasis on it being spent at the grassroots not on admin/chief execs etc etc.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Not moaning

yes you are.

just as an example a local hospital that suddenly get an unexpected windfall of possibly 1/2m Euros a month come into the coffers how much would your wage or expenses go up would you have a BMW or Merc for your next company car rather than a Focus.

or maybe, just maybe, people who dedicate their lives to charity work don't think that way? but you apparently do...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Great gesture and brilliant player, over rated? pffftt.

Amazing video. Didn't get goosebumps the whole way through until the very last free kick.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nice gesture indeed, so well done. But, a PR stunt if ever there was one.

Pity that a few others of this elite set (pretty well mosr Prem footballers) weren't doing something similar

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
On a visit to the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville I read one of the great man's beliefs, if you have to announce to everyone when you are doing something good, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Having said that any donation to a worthwhile charity should be welcomed. As for Beckham the footballer, in my opinion 3 other players wearing the number 7 shirt at Man U in the last 20 years would be in a team before him.

Beckham on why he has chosen to donate his salary to charity: "One of the reasons I wanted to come to Paris was we decided on something quite unique. I won't receive any salary. My salary will go to a local children's charity. That's one of the things we're excited and proud to do. It's something exciting and I'm not sure it's been done before."

Another look at me stunt:facepalm: not sure why he had to hijack last day of transfer deadline:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here