BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wozza said:
BBC award is not right for sad Clarke - Kevin Mitchell, The Observer.

Darren Clarke will win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award - for entirely the wrong reason.

A groundswell of sentiment for the Irishman after his part in Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States in Kildare last weekend owes its intensity to the recent death of his wife, Heather. And that is no reason to win an award that is supposed to be for sporting excellence.

The media-generated support for Clarke is mawkish and, perversely, an insult to his wife. She should be remembered for being his partner and the mother of his children, not part of what looks like turning into a Diana-style national sobfest.

Clarke, who has had an ordinary season overall, would lose nothing if he withdrew from the vote now before the bandwagon runs out of control. Indeed, he would be applauded. But he ought to do it not to be better regarded for sacrificing a gong but out of respect for his wife.

Word.

Kevin Mitchell knows what exactly, about the amount of respect Clarke has for his wife's memory. Mitchell can f*** right off - sanctimonious prick.

Clarke may very well feel that the public swell of support for him and what he has achieved in tremendously difficult circumstances is in fact some form of tribute to Heather's memory.

Clarke may feel like that. He may not. How he wishes to show his respect for his wife's memory is not up for Kevin Mitchell to decide.

That is all.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
hans kraay fan club said:
Kevin Mitchell knows what exactly, about the amount of respect Clarke has for his wife's memory. Mitchell can f*** right off - sanctimonious prick.

Clarke may very well feel that the public swell of support for him and what he has achieved in tremendously difficult circumstances is in fact some form of tribute to Heather's memory.

Clarke may feel like that. He may not. How he wishes to show his respect for his wife's memory is not up for Kevin Mitchell to decide.

That is all.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

There I was muddling around trying to put it into words and you did it to the letter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ernest said:
I'd like to see her pink tickled particularly by me :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Ernest, I think the chances of a girl in her twenties letting you tickle them are pretty slim.

Oh.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
BBC award is not right for sad Clarke - Kevin Mitchell, The Observer.

Darren Clarke will win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award - for entirely the wrong reason.

A groundswell of sentiment for the Irishman after his part in Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States in Kildare last weekend owes its intensity to the recent death of his wife, Heather. And that is no reason to win an award that is supposed to be for sporting excellence.

The media-generated support for Clarke is mawkish and, perversely, an insult to his wife. She should be remembered for being his partner and the mother of his children, not part of what looks like turning into a Diana-style national sobfest.

Clarke, who has had an ordinary season overall, would lose nothing if he withdrew from the vote now before the bandwagon runs out of control. Indeed, he would be applauded. But he ought to do it not to be better regarded for sacrificing a gong but out of respect for his wife.
I can see where he's coming from, but ultimately I disagree. Not as vehmently as Hans Kraay F.C. but still disagree. It's the Sports PERSONALITY award, not Sports ACHIEVMENT. I accept he's had an ordinary season (as have most of the other contenders in their sports) but those Ryder Cup scenes are going to be one of THE sporting memories of the year, so in that respect he won't be an unworthy winner.

I'm still voting for Monty though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Storer68 said:
who was that bloke that's just run a sjed load of half marathons around the world in the last month.

gets it my book.
Warren Aspinall?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
All of the above will be contenders IMHO. I bet you the tennis loving BBC will also try and sneek that scottish shitbag tennis player in there, after a pretty average year. If he even gets close to winning it Ill emigrate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports