Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's the BBC sports PERSONALITY of the Year.

For Clarke to come back after what he has been through and play so well and have a huge hand in us retaining the Ryder Cup I would say he deserves it. When over-paid prima donnas let us down in Germany and generally our sporting heroes have really let us down this calender year I cannot think of a more befitting winner than Clarke.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
crodonilson said:
It's the BBC sports PERSONALITY of the Year.

For Clarke to come back after what he has been through and play so well and have a huge hand in us retaining the Ryder Cup I would say he deserves it. When over-paid prima donnas let us down in Germany and generally our sporting heroes have really let us down this calender year I cannot think of a more befitting winner than Clarke.

Despite the name (what else could they call it?), it's still a sporting achievement award.

Europe would have won without him. And it's a team event anyway (there's a seperate award for that).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Clarke should get it, if only for the sheer SPEED he knocked back that pint of Guiness on the balcony. That was f***ing HEROIC.

:bowdown:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wozza said:
Despite the name (what else could they call it?), it's still a sporting achievement award.

Disagree. It is called that, because that is what it is meant to be. They could easily call it 'Sportsman of the Year', but they don't. Because it isn't.

I have never been bothered enough to actually get of my arse and vote before, but for the first time I will be.

VOTE CLARKE. You know it makes sense.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wozza said:
Europe would have won without him.
Almost certainly. But the fact that he was there and playing as well as he did was another massive boost for them from the off.

If there's no room for sob stories, romance and heroism in sport, you might as well watch chess.
emtionalclarke.jpg

Stumpy Tim

Man of Harveys said:
If there's no room for sob stories, romance and heroism in sport, you might as well watch chess.[/IMG]

Agree with that, but for me the sight of an English spinner ripping through one of the best batting line-ups this summer had me CREAMING myself. The fact that he is also a cult hero and has taken on the mantle as the first seikh to have played for England so well means he gets my vote.

If Monty bowls England to Ashes success, he'll win it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stumpy Tim said:
Agree with that, but for me the sight of an English spinner ripping through one of the best batting line-ups this summer had me CREAMING myself. The fact that he is also a cult hero and has taken on the mantle as the first seikh to have played for England so well means he gets my vote.

If Monty bowls England to Ashes success, he'll win it

They will only have played two tests by the 10th December when the award is presented, so he'd have to go some.

VOTE CLARKE.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
hans kraay fan club said:
They could easily call it 'Sportsman of the Year', but they don't. Because it isn't.

No, that would be sexist.

If the awards aren't about sporting excellence, why do they focus on the big professional sports?

If you (or the BBC) looked, you'll find dozens of amazing stories of achievement, endeavour and 'success' in the face of adversity.

Is this case special because it's a bunch of millionaires on TV?

Wozza said:
No, that would be sexist.

If the awards aren't about sporting excellence, why do they focus on the big professional sports?

If you (or the BBC) looked, you'll find dozens of amazing stories of achievement, endeavour and 'success' in the face of adversity.

Is this case special because it's a bunch of millionaires on TV?

No, it's because the awards are voted for by the pubic who are, in the main, too f***ing lazy to go searching for your unsung heroes. They are actually having a regional unsung hero award this year, with a national winner too.

The BBC have to appeal to the lowest common demoninator as with all these award shows, if there weren't known people to vote for then no one votes so no revenue for Auntie Beeb.

Stumpy Tim

hans kraay fan club said:
They will only have played two tests by the 10th December when the award is presented, so he'd have to go some.

makes it easier for him then. Spins us to victory at Brisbane & then Adelaide (where I will be watching in the stands:clap2: ) and he's got it.

vote MONTY

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Stumpy Tim said:
vote MONTY
Great spinner though he is, if he does well in this poll it would be because of his religion and culture as much as his talent, none of which are likely to have affected his game in any way.

Stumpy Tim

Man of Harveys said:
Great spinner though he is, if he does well in this poll it would be because of his religion and culture as much as his talent, none of which are likely to have affected his game in any way.

It would be because people have taken to his personality. He has worked tirelessly on his fielding & batting, has got the crowd right on his side, and has a great personality... he deserves the award. It's nowt to do with his religion

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stumpy Tim said:
It would be because people have taken to his personality. He has worked tirelessly on his fielding & batting, has got the crowd right on his side, and has a great personality... he deserves the award. It's nowt to do with his religion

I would have absolutely no problem at all with Monty winning it. He would be a worthy winner, though as has been said, the 'personality' bit tends to be overlooked.

If Andrew Murray won wimbledon he would get it despite not actually having a personality at all.

VOTE CLARKE anyway.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Stumpy Tim said:
He's a nice enough guy - as England cricketers have tended to be, although his cultural background means we know more about him. So what? He's got better at batting - which bowlers have to in order to be picked by Duncan Fletcher: Ashley Giles' batting improved a lot in recent years but he shouldn't ever be talked about for Sports Personality either - and there are interesting and hugely positive aspects about having an Asian bloke playing cricket for England, although we heard precious little of this aspect when Nasser was captain.

The crowd cheer him because he can't field - and there's more than a bit of irony about it all - can bowl a bit but is no world-beater just yet and looks different. It's like saying Ian Holloway should get manager of the year because he cracks lame jokes in interviews.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Zara Philips should win, then we can have another debate about shagging her and also she's a world champion, in a competitive sport, which is kinda impressive.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
BBC award is not right for sad Clarke - Kevin Mitchell, The Observer.

Darren Clarke will win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award - for entirely the wrong reason.

A groundswell of sentiment for the Irishman after his part in Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States in Kildare last weekend owes its intensity to the recent death of his wife, Heather. And that is no reason to win an award that is supposed to be for sporting excellence.

The media-generated support for Clarke is mawkish and, perversely, an insult to his wife. She should be remembered for being his partner and the mother of his children, not part of what looks like turning into a Diana-style national sobfest.

Clarke, who has had an ordinary season overall, would lose nothing if he withdrew from the vote now before the bandwagon runs out of control. Indeed, he would be applauded. But he ought to do it not to be better regarded for sacrificing a gong but out of respect for his wife.

Word.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Zara Phillips - you would though

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lets face, the BBC Sports Personality is a bit shit these days - they have no rights on any of the major sports any more.

So how about we all vote for Ashley Cole? For his integrity, and tireless and selfless campaign against greedy football clubs and their boards. PLus he came DESPERATELY close to winning the world cup for us, so he is worth every penny of his modest salary.

If there was such a campaign, would he feel suitably shamed, or is too fuckwitted to realise that the joke was on hiim. I think I know the answer come to think of it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wozza said:
BBC award is not right for sad Clarke - Kevin Mitchell, The Observer.

Darren Clarke will win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award - for entirely the wrong reason.

A groundswell of sentiment for the Irishman after his part in Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States in Kildare last weekend owes its intensity to the recent death of his wife, Heather. And that is no reason to win an award that is supposed to be for sporting excellence.

The media-generated support for Clarke is mawkish and, perversely, an insult to his wife. She should be remembered for being his partner and the mother of his children, not part of what looks like turning into a Diana-style national sobfest.

Clarke, who has had an ordinary season overall, would lose nothing if he withdrew from the vote now before the bandwagon runs out of control. Indeed, he would be applauded. But he ought to do it not to be better regarded for sacrificing a gong but out of respect for his wife.

Word.

I respect this argument a great deal, I really do. But I totally disagree with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here