Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC Predict the PL Table

premier-league-table-2021-final-36ddda71066989c252d670cf8fde853a.jpg

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Think Liverpool are in for a really tough season. Klopp got a lot of criticism from some knowledgeable people while at Dortmund that he is destroying footballers (physically) with his approach to training. Its 100% intensity all the time (instead of periodisation) and it works very nice for a few seasons but its not sustainable and eventually they suffer a lot of injuries. That combined with the fact that their squad is getting quite old could turn into disaster.

You must be a mystic!
I’ve got the Reds down for automatic relegation with Brentford as champions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we've had a thread predicting the whole table positions I've not seen it but apologies if missed.

However, the BBC site has a nice easy way to predict the final table and while this is often better done when the transfer window SLAMS shut, we nevertheless kick off this weekend. So anyone else want to see their prediction angrily bounced at the end of the season?

Here's mine.

View attachment 139317
Not going to bother doing one myself, or tearing anybody else's apart - but one think I'm really sure of that isn't reflected in your table is that we will be champions of the South Coast - no way are we not going to finish above Southampton!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
1. Man Utd
2.Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Leicester
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Arsenal
8. Aston Villa
9. West Ham
10.Everton
11. Leeds
12. Burnley
13. Brighton
14. Wolves
15. Watford
16. Southampton
17. Brentford
18. Newcastle
19. Crystal Palace
20. Norwich

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
36906D20-B10B-4193-B52A-80BD88AC46C0.jpeg

Appreciate I’m one of the more pessimistic on our position, but I can see no reason why our season will be that different to last season unless we get better quality and more pace in our front line. And I’m worried that the White loss is bigger than we realise. That said, I reckon anyone from 12th downwards could go down. At the top, I have a hunch that Chelsea with Lukaku are going g to pip City. Unfortunately I also reckon Palace may do OK.

SAC

May 21, 2014
What a great thread. Lots of confidence of us not being in a relegation battle. :albion2:

It could still be a relegation battle for most of the season and then picking up points in April & May.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
View attachment 139360

Appreciate I’m one of the more pessimistic on our position, but I can see no reason why our season will be that different to last season unless we get better quality and more pace in our front line. And I’m worried that the White loss is bigger than we realise. That said, I reckon anyone from 12th downwards could go down. At the top, I have a hunch that Chelsea with Lukaku are going g to pip City. Unfortunately I also reckon Palace may do OK.

Just going along with the old trope that bad luck evens itself out, is enough to suggest we will have a better season.
That definitely didn't happen last season. We were definitely in deficit last season.

I genuinely can't see us having another season where we:
  • have a penalty given after full time whistle has blown.
  • Have a valid goal disallowed/allowed/disallowed again.
  • Lose a game where the opposition have 2 touches in our area
  • Hit the woodwork 5 times in a game
  • Miss 2 penalties in one game
  • Lose our best players for over half of the season
  • Miss 4 open goals

Add in the usual arguments of: XG/XGA ; improved XGA after replacing Ryan and the fact we will have home fans back in the stadium.
Gives me hope that we will finish higher up the table.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just going along with the old trope that bad luck evens itself out, is enough to suggest we will have a better season.
That definitely didn't happen last season. We were definitely in deficit last season.

I genuinely can't see us having another season where we:
  • have a penalty given after full time whistle has blown.
  • Have a valid goal disallowed/allowed/disallowed again.
  • Lose a game where the opposition have 2 touches in our area
  • Hit the woodwork 5 times in a game
  • Miss 2 penalties in one game
  • Lose our best players for over half of the season
  • Miss 4 open goals

Add in the usual arguments of: XG/XGA ; improved XGA after replacing Ryan and the fact we will have home fans back in the stadium.
Gives me hope that we will finish higher up the table.

I went for 14th for some of these reasons. The pessimist in me would query if our chances and XG will be the same again this season however, what with missing White's speed in transition and seemingly not having Lamptey again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wow, an Abion fan who hasn't tipped Palarace to finish bottom of the table! Agree with you re Wolves, l think that they will struggle roo, new manager lost several of their players etc. etc. Brighton finishing in 12th would suit me just fine too.

I don't think I'm the only one who hasn't predicted Palaces demise, as happy as I would be if they were relegated.

I think Wolves could be in trouble, I very nearly put them in my bottom three but I think Jiménez returning will give them enough goals to survive. I don't think their manager is that good either. Took Benfica on their worse run of results in 20 years before he was sacked, could easily be another Hyypia.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So how did you do?

Most seem to have over estimated Man United and under estimated us, me included (though, in typical fine margins style I was one place from correct at half time on Sunday). I promise to try and regard my glass as much fuller in the future. Do bear in mind, though, that these were made before Cucurella was confirmed and with Caicedo arriving but not featuring in the starting squad.

Credit to [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] for getting all the relegated teams correct, and in the correct order and to [MENTION=1426]The Wookiee[/MENTION] for sticking his neck out on us. Not so sure about Swansman's Liverpool post though, although Klopp seems to have added quite a bit of possession to that old gegenpress as well as Luis Diaz adding a younger element and probably being the Top 4 signing of the season.

Anyway, clear evidence on why bookies are rich and predictions before the transfer window closes are a fool's errand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here