Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2011

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nope I have listened to ATH before, for me it's just a poor imitation.
I was thinking about it a while ago, and decided it's not what Mike & Mr Tony say, it's the way they say it.
I can't think of 2 better broadcasters (talking heads), there love of sport, language, and each other (not in a gay-lord way!) sets them apart.
There has to be a reason, other than sport, why I listen, during college basketball.

I get to meet a few of the Round The Horn and PTI guys at NFL events. Mike Wilbon is a top, top bloke. I once spoke to him for a piece on Beckham's possible impact in the USA, and his knowledge of soccer is immense - he used to cover the NASL. Tim Cowlishaw, Jackie McMullan and Bill Plaschke are also good people, as well as having the sort of knowledge across many sports that you rarely find in the UK. Woody Paige, on the other hand, is weird ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get to meet a few of the Round The Horn and PTI guys at NFL events. Mike Wilbon is a top, top bloke. I once spoke to him for a piece on Beckham's possible impact in the USA, and his knowledge of soccer is immense - he used to cover the NASL.
None of which surprises me, he's obviously so very well respected, not only by the level and quantities of pro's, active and retired, he classes as friends. But he can even throw Mr President into the mix, too.

I now also listen to Tony Kornheiser's show, which is very enjoyable.
It's very interesting to get an American, insular (as you would expect) but pretty liberal view of the world.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not wishing to gloat, but Phillies 3 and 0 already!!! Play a series against the METS Tuesday through friday.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
A Cardinals fan has absolutely no justification to have a pop at another team - but did you see how the Red Sox kept their winless start to the season going? I love a squeeze play myself.

MLB.com Gameday | indians.com: Gameday

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Been going over to Boston every April to take in 4 or 5 mighty Red Sox games for the past six years, but too skint this year boo. Shame as we probably have our best roster in decades this season. Still, mlb.tv is great value, lets you watch all 2,430 regular season games online live for about a hundred quid. I will be subscribing as ever, even though watching a game usually means staying up til 6 or 7am...

LOL! As a huge Rangers fan (and of course Albion STH) think I have your number FA.

Delighted Tex have kept last year's form going despite the loss of the awesome Cliff Lee (can you believe the Phillies' rotation?) but 6-0! Wow. Still, we all know it's a long season.

Baseball, cricket, sunshine, may not be the worst time to take redundancy...

PG

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
LOL! As a huge Rangers fan (and of course Albion STH) think I have your number FA.

Delighted Tex have kept last year's form going despite the loss of the awesome Cliff Lee (can you believe the Phillies' rotation?) but 6-0! Wow. Still, we all know it's a long season.

Baseball, cricket, sunshine, may not be the worst time to take redundancy...

PG

It's June through August you need to worry about if you follow the Rangers. Gets very hot and humid down in Texas, can be very difficult to maintain your A-game in those conditions.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's June through August you need to worry about if you follow the Rangers. Gets very hot and humid down in Texas, can be very difficult to maintain your A-game in those conditions.

Evidence from last season was that it was the opposition who struggled to deal with the heat. The hot weather makes the ball fly further and this suits the Rangers offence too. But yeah, I'm a Rangers fan because I worked in Dallas 1986-87 and it gets HOT! I have a photo somewhere of the scoreboard at the old Arlington stadium at a double-header showing 100F at midnight!

PG

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
caught the phillies mets game last night on espn - talk about a raping :lolol:

tomorrow has got the potential to be a CORKING day in front of the box - grand national, red sox v yankees at 6pm and then hockey night in canada starting at midnight with montreal v toronto followed by vancouver v calgary

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
100F at midnight!

I saw the final three games of the season in Phoenix about seven years ago, Diamondbacks/Cardinals.
Although it was even hotter than that, with the roof closed and the air con on, it was quite comfortable.
I still can't comprehend what it must cost to bring the temperature down 25 degrees in a 45000 capacity stadium?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Nice win for the Phils. Now come on Boston. I have an accumaltor on all the divisional winners.

Red Sox
White Sox
Rangers
Phillies
Reds
Rockies

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
With the Cardinals now unbelieveably top of their (desperately weak) division after a poor April, the main news is MLB takeover of the Dodgers. This is such big news I even read it in The Times this week.

Here's the LA Times story:
Dodgers: Major League Baseball seizes control of Dodgers - latimes.com

It sounds like as if The FA had taken over Pompey, to find a buyer and even had the team manager reporting to them.

Not saying its right or wrong, but we all know the FA are piss poor at managing and controlling the clubs. It seems that MLB are much stronger and won't take any shit from bad management / ownership.

Imagine if you will, its 1996. A tough no nonsense Graham Kelly issues a statement:

"I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the ALBION and to protect the best interests of the club, its great fans and all of FOOTBALL," he said. "My office will continue its thorough investigation into the operations and finances of the ALBION and related entities during the period of Mr. ARCHER'S ownership."

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
on t'cruise last month, I got chatting to some( in fact almost everyone) baseball fans and you would not believe the animosity between red sox and Yankee fans. makes our palace rivalry look
like a love in

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Twins are having a mare this season. I've seen three games where we hardly scored and the pitching was atrocious.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
on t'cruise last month, I got chatting to some( in fact almost everyone) baseball fans and you would not believe the animosity between red sox and Yankee fans. makes our palace rivalry look
like a love in

When they were building the New Yankee Stadium one of the concrete gang was a Red Sox fan and buried a Red Sox shirt in the foundations. When they found out they had to dig up the foundations to retieve said shirt. His boss suggested that he did a very quick runner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/sports/baseball/14jersey.html

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When they were building the New Yankee Stadium one of the concrete gang was a Red Sox fan and buried a Red Sox shirt in the foundations. When they found out they had to dig up the foundations to retieve said shirt. His boss suggested that he did a very quick runner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/sports/baseball/14jersey.html

Wasn't it David Ortiz's shirt? I'm surprised the stadium didn't buckle slightly. He's a big boy.

Anyway there are many reasons for disliking the Yankees, the Man United/Bayern Munich/Real Madrid of baseball. But Derek Jeter and Mark Teixera's highly-punchable faces should be enough for anyone. :myfatherinlawwasbatboyatfenwayparkintedwilliamsheyday:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here