Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry to Man City - sell-on clause?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Whereas Villa, like Everton, dont and wont have the resources to break into the top 4, Man City do have the cash and must be atleast aiming for a CL spot if they want to attract players like Kaka etc...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When Aston Villa poached Barry from us they had to pay us compensation and additionally further staged payments dependent on appearances , England call ups (U21 and full squad) and a sell on clause. Aston Villa then paid a £500k one off payment in exchange for us giving up all rights to any future payments.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barry is believed to have been offered a four-year deal worth around £80,000 a week by City :eek::whisky:
He must be pretty upset that income tax has gone up from 40% to 50% :laugh:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I think that is standing isn;t it. And don't forget that Barry NEVER played for us at any level except the Centre of Excellence.

So screwing a million out of Villa for a player who never played for us IS INSPIRED

Is the right answer. I seem to remember at the time we got hold of the fax number at Villa and clogged it up with letters saying things like 'pay up yer bastards'. I am sure it didn't have any effect but it felt good.

It also led to John Gregory slagging us off and look what happened to him in the end. The curse of the Seagull finally got to him !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spurs didnt rip his contract up, he went to West Ham as part of a swap deal for Defoe. He was valued at 750k by an indepedant body. Thats why we didnt get a sell on, as he had to be worth over the 1.5m they paid for him.

I think that you are wrong, but I am not prepared to argue the point but I am sure that it was something to do with the transfer window etc and the only way that he could sign for West Ham was if he was out of contract so Spurs tore up his contract.

I dont think that I am imagining that I read it somebody else must have done, where are all the secret Spurs fans when you need them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think at the time Zamora was part of the swap deal for Defoe which meant that BZ was given a nominal value of £750k given the transfer value of the other Spurs player to equal the valuation for Defoe. Any amount over £1.5M would have seen us getting a payment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a strange transfer both for him and City. Last year he could have joined Liverpool and challenged for the premiership and champions league while City are no where but have a lot of money, which I suppose it all boils down to. City have Kompany and DeJong and now another defensive ish midfielder.
See I think it's a good deal for both parties. Villa get £12m for a player who probably hasn't got his heart in it any more and has already served them well. City get a player known for his consistent performances - something of an achilles heel for them last season.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I think at the time Zamora was part of the swap deal for Defoe which meant that BZ was given a nominal value of £750k given the transfer value of the other Spurs player to equal the valuation for Defoe. Any amount over £1.5M would have seen us getting a payment.

From what I remember BZ could not move due to his age and some ruling that players under a certain age cannot be transferred twice within a certain time period. Therefore to make the swap, Tottenham "cancelled" his contract, allowing him to be a free agent and sign for anyone.

But I could be wrong

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From what I remember BZ could not move due to his age and some ruling that players under a certain age cannot be transferred twice within a certain time period. Therefore to make the swap, Tottenham "cancelled" his contract, allowing him to be a free agent and sign for anyone.

But I could be wrong

I am glad that I was not dreaming it and that somebody else had read the same.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
See I think it's a good deal for both parties. Villa get £12m for a player who probably hasn't got his heart in it any more and has already served them well. City get a player known for his consistent performances - something of an achilles heel for them last season.

I think you've made a great point or 4 there Simster. If pushed though, I still think his supposed motive of leaving Villa - i.e. "I want to play in The Champions League" - is a bit of a joke now really. I guess the 80 grand a week might soften the blow a bit, mind.. :rolleyes:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here