Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry to Man City - sell-on clause?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Apparently he is in talks with City over a move there, now assuming he does, have we still got a sell-on clause for him?

Theres something in a story on the Sunday Mercury website back in 2008 which says.

Brighton were also given a 15 per cent sell-on clause, meaning they could bank a further £2.1 million if Villa insist on a complete cash deal rather than a player exchange with Liverpool.

So could we be quids in if City stump up the cash?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think this has been asked before, and the answer is that we have no sell-on clause whatsoever.

Could be wrong, though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Nope.

The talks will be interesting

So you cant offer me European football of any kind, what reason would I want to join.

No, how will 200k do as a reason

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I believe it is wrong - as confirmed by Insider last summer when the Barry/Liverpool story was at its' hottest. I believe that we took a lump sum off Villa when we were struggling a few years back, in return we waived our right to a sell-on cause.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nope.

The talks will be interesting

So you cant offer me European football of any kind, what reason would I want to join.

No, how will 200k do as a reason

Indeed. Gareth "I'll only leave Villa for Champions League football" Barry will go down severely in my estimation if he joins City.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bit of a mistake Uncle Dick

When you need the money you need the money.

Are you happy Falmer's being built? I dare say that £500K came in handy, maybe prevented a star player being sold, maybe resulted in a promotion or that extra season in the Championship?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
On the flip side, we should have sold the sell on clause that we placed on John Robinson, if the opportunity ever arose. I wouldn't say it was a mistake from Dick. Certainly if we needed the money at that time and there was no guarantee that he was going to move on. Besides, he hasn't even signed yet, so 'mistake' is entirely the wrong word anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here