Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry to Man City - sell-on clause?

Bit of a mistake Uncle Dick

Why? He guaranteed (according to NSC) £500k for a loss making tin pot club. Quite a result I'd say. I've been critical of DK but at the time I think that was an inspired bit of business.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think and I may be wrong, but the sell on clause only relates to an agreement between the current selling club and the buying one and that previous agreements between the selling club and the players previous clubs are null and void hence we didnt get anything when BZ moved from Spurs and West Ham.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think and I may be wrong, but the sell on clause only relates to an agreement between the selling club and the buying one and that previous agreements are null and void hence we didnt get anything when BZ moved.

Eh? Villa is his first club after being a Brighton player, so we would be liable to receive something if we had not come to an early agreement.

We would have got something for Zamora if he had gone for over what they paid for him, but he was moved in a swap deal for Defoe and valued at £750k.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Eh? Villa is his first club after being a Brighton player, so we would be liable to receive something if we had not come to an early agreement.

We would have got something for Zamora if he had gone for over what they paid for him, but he was moved in a swap deal for Defoe and valued at £750k.
That was a very dodgy bit of business in which we got shafted, don't you think? considering he went on to move to Fulham for 2.5 million

That was a very dodgy bit of business in which we got shafted, don't you think? considering he went on to move to Fulham for 2.5 million

No not really. He didn't get a look in at Spurs, who only paid £1.5m for him, and moved to Fulham years later, when the clubs were receiving much more TV money and transfer fees were substantially inflated.

Incidentally, I thought the deal was £6m for Zamora and Pantsil. Surely Pantsil wasn't valued at £3.5m?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Indeed. Gareth "I'll only leave Villa for Champions League football" Barry will go down severely in my estimation if he joins City.

Good point, well made. I was hoping he wouldn't go to L'pool as long as they keep Alonso, becauase I think he's better than Barry, although I do rate Barry quite highly. If they lost Alonso, then he would be a decent replacement. Can't see Barry at Chelsea and certainly not at Utd, so unless the Arse want him (probably the best suited club for him IMO), he's quickly running out of places to move to.

I think he's 28 now, so won't see CL footie at City in his playing career (well, 3 years at least anyway)

I think that is standing isn;t it. And don't forget that Barry NEVER played for us at any level except the Centre of Excellence.

So screwing a million out of Villa for a player who never played for us IS INSPIRED.

Shame we couldn't do it with jamie moralee:laugh:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't Standing the one expected to be the star when the two of them went to Villa?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I always remember when Standing got introduced to the Goldstone crowd either before a game, or at HT back in the day.

He was highly rated, and I always thought wed sign him one day, but just never happened.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Can't believe he's considering signing for Man city. Seems a strange move...unless they're offering him ridiculous amounts of money or have told him that they're going on a major spending spree...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Barry will be on a lot more a Man City and you have to admit, with their money, City SHOULD be challenging in the next two years and not just for domestic honours.

SHOULD.

Maybe Barry wants to be part of that, Villa don't seem to be progressing quickly enough for him to play Champions League football there and Liverpool didn't want him enough to pay the going rate so this looks like his best bet.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Barry will be on a lot more a Man City and you have to admit, with their money, City SHOULD be challenging in the next two years and not just for domestic honours.

SHOULD.

Maybe Barry wants to be part of that, Villa don't seem to be progressing quickly enough for him to play Champions League football there and Liverpool didn't want him enough to pay the going rate so this looks like his best bet.

Dunno, I think Villa are the better short term bet. They were undone this year by a thin squad. I reckon Lerner will provide suitable funds for O'Neill to remedy that this summer-he's already let O'Neill spend pretty heavily up to this point so it seems strange that he'd stop now when they're not too far off being a really good team. So going on that premise Villa should still be a better team than MAn City next year. Plus, I think O'neill's a better manager than Hughes so even if the teams are of the same quality I'd expect O'neill to get more out of villa than hughes out of city.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

SHOULD.

Would agree with that. I think City are probably far more likely to finish in a CL spot over the next few seasons than Aston Villa.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

You are correct I wasnt thinking about Villa being his only club. As regards Zamora I think Spurs tore up his contract so he was valued at nothing as he was out of ocntract, not £750k. My point is that when he went Fulham we wouldnt have got anything as the agreement about sell on was between us and Spurs like wise us and Villa but DK settled for a fee which at the time seemed a good move. Probably wouldnt have done it if TB money was available then.

I think this might be close to the reason why he is choosing Man City (a club of gross over ambition and perennoial under achivement!)

Barry is believed to have been offered a four-year deal worth around £80,000 a week by City :eek::whisky:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
You are correct I wasnt thinking about Villa being his only club. As regards Zamora I think Spurs tore up his contract so he was valued at nothing as he was out of ocntract, not £750k. My point is that when he went Fulham we wouldnt have got anything as the agreement about sell on was between us and Spurs like wise us and Villa but DK settled for a fee which at the time seemed a good move. Probably wouldnt have done it if TB money was available then.

Spurs didnt rip his contract up, he went to West Ham as part of a swap deal for Defoe. He was valued at 750k by an indepedant body. Thats why we didnt get a sell on, as he had to be worth over the 1.5m they paid for him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What a strange transfer both for him and City. Last year he could have joined Liverpool and challenged for the premiership and champions league while City are no where but have a lot of money, which I suppose it all boils down to. City have Kompany and DeJong and now another defensive ish midfielder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here