• Out

Votes: 115 43.2%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 22 8.3%

• Total voters

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I think you've missed the point. It's not what he's done, it's the way he's done it. As others have said, the club's completely lost its soul with its customer-first fans-later approach. I've never seen so much general apathy among Albion fans, even through the Withdean years. And I don't view his condescending emails with their corporate spin defending his actions as listing to fans.

He's also priced-out many loyal or young fans with the ridiculously high match-day tickets and other match-day products (and tries to make you feel as though you're a bad fan if you don't want to pay over four quid for an often average pie (if they have any in stock that is!) He may have increased revenue in the short-term but watch revenue erode away when swaths of season-ticket holders cancel at the end of the season.

If Barber wants to treat us as customers, we'll treat the Albion as any other business. If they provide a poor quality, overpriced 'match-day experience', then we'll simply take our business elsewhere to the many other offerings Sussex has.

But we arent Little Old Brighton anymore, the club has had to grow - simple as that. Unfortunately for those that dont like football like this - their noses have been put out of joint. The club does need to become more "customer focused" I agree, as recently they havent been open about anything. During Poyetgate, they were incredibly open as much as possible but now they are too silent. Match pricing isnt awful, but it could be better. If the worst comes to it long-term, then thats when he will hopefully earn his money as it will be a massive challenge to keep us sustainable.

No one is forcing you to support the Albion remember.The matchday experience isnt that bad, the issue is on the pitch which Barber doesnt control. Pre-match and post-match we are leading the country - shame that during the match right now we cant lead anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yet at the moment half the support isn't keen.

I know I stand alone as the only moderator who doesn't think he is good for the club. I hope you are all right and I won't be able to say I told you so, I really do.

Meeting FFP by selling your best players, buying rubbish, increasing the prices of everything and reducing the amount of club staff is not rocket science.

Neither is getting Nike as a kit maker and American Express as a kit sponsor.

All things anyone with basic grasp of business could achieve.

However he has alienated a lot of the supporters/customers in the process and lost two good managers. It's all short term gain at the expense of what matters, the team and the fans.

You should never ever judge a company just on profit increase or loss reduction, that bit is easier than it looks when you start with £13million losses. The empty seats are much more telling and long term problem.

You've saved me typing this. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you've missed the point. It's not what he's done, it's the way he's done it. As others have said, the club's completely lost its soul with its customer-first fans-later approach. I've never seen so much general apathy among Albion fans, even through the Withdean years. And I don't view his condescending emails with their corporate spin defending his actions as listing to fans.

He's also priced-out many loyal or young fans with the ridiculously high match-day tickets and other match-day products (and tries to make you feel as though you're a bad fan if you don't want to pay over four quid for an often average pie (if they have any in stock that is!) He may have increased revenue in the short-term but watch revenue erode away when swaths of season-ticket holders cancel at the end of the season.

If Barber wants to treat us as customers (how much does it cost if you want to replace a lost season-ticket?), we'll treat the Albion as any other business. If they provide a poor quality, overpriced 'match-day experience', then we'll simply take our business elsewhere to the many other offerings Sussex has.

This.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Paul Barber is an arrogant back to front, that said you probably need to be to do his job, however I wish he would shut the fluck up and stay out of the programme, I have no interest at all in his opinions!

Don't flippin' read them, then! FFS...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
This makes me think what a tough job the Chancellor of the Exchequer has in government. Sorting out the finances of a country, and having a say in European and world finances and policy etc. All for the princely salary of a shade under a hundred and thirty five grand a year. So my point is, how the f*ck is a CEO of a football club worth nearly half a million a year?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You just need to read his programme notes to see how he is skilled at telling us what we want to hear - but the proof is in the pudding.

Next time you are at the Amex, look around you at all the empty seats - consider whether more could be done to make the Amex a place that new fans would want to keep coming back to. By treating our fans as customers that's exactly what they've become - and it's not surprising that they're not passionate enough about this "product" to keep forking out £30+ for a ticket.

That North Stand/South West meeting is a start - but why wasn't this done at the very beginning when while were filling the stadium and had a lot more potential fans to impress?

Start winning games and the seats will be filled. You can see they are looking at the issues they raise. Why de-stabilise everything because the wrong manager was appointed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This makes me think what a tough job the Chancellor of the Exchequer has in government. Sorting out the finances of a country, and having a say in European and world finances and policy etc. All for the princely salary of a shade under a hundred and thirty five grand a year. So my point is, how the f*ck is a CEO of a football club worth nearly half a million a year?

He can go as well.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
You just need to read his programme notes to see how he is skilled at telling us what we want to hear - but the proof is in the pudding.

Next time you are at the Amex, look around you at all the empty seats - consider whether more could be done to make the Amex a place that new fans would want to keep coming back to.?

You don't think that's more to do with the quality of the football Sami's boys have produced then?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hard call without better inside knowledge. But his programme notes .......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here