[Albion] Attacking Options

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I thought cornet was a winger?

He is - but as the OP said (which has been missed by most), I don’t think we’re necessarily talking about an out and out #9. It’s not the Potter way. But someone in the front 3 with pace, the ability to beat a man, and a good finisher would fit the bill. Similar to what we were presumably looking for from Rodriguez. Brereton Diaz also not an out and out #9. Cornet a good example of the same thing. The point is that he and Dennis shows it is possible (albeit not easy) to find good options within our price range, but it involves casting the net wide, and getting a bit lucky.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As much as I admire Bloom sticking to his principles and not breaking the glass ceiling in terms of player wages, we are evidently short of a top striker up front when crosses come in and it frustrates me enormously seeing good chances go begging. It's easy to spot the difference when Welbeck comes on, such a presence in the air and scares the life out of defences. Maupay is good but needs help, he's not a threat on headers, or breaking down defences using his body weight or pace, so we need that type of striker if we want to put our opponents to the sword consistently.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
He is - but as the OP said (which has been missed by most), I don’t think we’re necessarily talking about an out and out #9. It’s not the Potter way. But someone in the front 3 with pace, the ability to beat a man, and a good finisher would fit the bill. Similar to what we were presumably looking for from Rodriguez. Brereton Diaz also not an out and out #9. Cornet a good example of the same thing. The point is that he and Dennis shows it is possible (albeit not easy) to find good options within our price range, but it involves casting the net wide, and getting a bit lucky.

I’ve said similar in other threads tbf re the guys at Benfica and Fiorentina ?
Wouldn’t mind Cornet or similar either But with Wood going to the Toon
Allied to the fact he s only recently joined Burnley can’t see it

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My friend sent me this a few days ago, think he saw it on twitter or something.

View attachment 143819

Didn't post as its own thread because it's just paper talk, although strange we're the only club named. No idea if the journo has any credibility or not.

Can't see it happening but he would be perfect. Feel a left footed forward would add some balance. Quick and strong and also good on the ball. Would be our best finisher by far.

- Sorry that picture has sized massively :lolol:

Big Dave Armitage is a good guy and well-connected in the Midlands, although more in the west than the east. I might give him a call and see what he says but 'Was that story for real or a load of made-up bollox?' is always a difficult question to ask ...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Big Dave Armitage is a good guy and well-connected in the Midlands, although more in the west than the east. I might give him a call and see what he says but 'Was that story for real or a load of made-up bollox?' is always a difficult question to ask ...

Please let it be for real. Would love to see Ian Nacho sing for the Albion

i said it when he first played for us and now i'll say it again - i still think Lamptey could easily become the missing link if we stop playing him in defence. personally i only ever remember him making his darting runs down the wing and he's not particularly known for his defensive duties (is he?) . put lamptey in a front three, let his darting runs be into the box past the oppo defence instead of down the wing and he could be the missing link. Yes i know he hasnt scored for us yet but thats because hes been the one doing the crosses not the one getting on the end of them.

Remember the Virgo years when we couldnt find a striker (hmm sound familiar) and moved Virgo up front - seem to recall he did rather well for us, so who knows..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I could be wrong but I don't think the club is going to bring in a big name striker this window.

Again, I could be wrong, but I feel it might be dependent on funds from a Bissouma/Lamptey/A.N Other sale.

However frustrating this season has been - and I do get that it is - it's still progress, which is what the club promised. If the magical 'top 10' finish is achieved this season with the current squad, then Bloom's gamble would've paid off. If not, he's almost certainly do something about it in the summer.

I'm pretty chilled about the whole situation, too be honest :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I could be wrong but I don't think the club is going to bring in a big name striker this window.

Again, I could be wrong, but I feel it might be dependent on funds from a Bissouma/Lamptey/A.N Other sale.

However frustrating this season has been - and I do get that it is - it's still progress, which is what the club promised. If the magical 'top 10' finish is achieved this season with the current squad, then Bloom's gamble would've paid off. If not, he's almost certainly do something about it in the summer.

I'm pretty chilled about the whole situation, too be honest :shrug:

Yep, just enjoy it is my mantra. We, fans, are on the roller coaster and have absolutely no influence as to where it goes or how thrilling it might be. I think BW2 might be in the seat behind me because I keep hearing moans about how it could be improved and be even more thrilling :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looking at all these ideas and that many want a new first choice striker but not to get rid of Maupay excites me. Provided the Premier League allow us to play 12 men this could be a very memorable time for the Albion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, just enjoy it is my mantra. We, fans, are on the roller coaster and have absolutely no influence as to where it goes or how thrilling it might be. I think BW2 might be in the seat behind me because I keep hearing moans about how it could be improved and be even more thrilling :lolol:

"Even more thrilling"?

We've scored nine goals at home in ten games. Only Wolves, Norwich and Burnley have fewer.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/table.html

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
"Even more thrilling"?

We've scored nine goals at home in ten games. Only Wolves, Norwich and Burnley have fewer.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/table.html

I make no apology for being thrilled at the football the Albion play these days, win lose or draw. I want to be entertained and I am being.

I know that some prefer to see us win regardless of the style or performance, and would settle for a breakaway one chance in a game, 1-0 with 10% possession in a backs to wall performance every game. Winning is everything. Not for me Clive :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I make no apology for being thrilled at the football the Albion play these days, win lose or draw. I want to be entertained and I am being.

I know that some prefer to see us win regardless of the style or performance, and would settle for a breakaway one chance in a game, 1-0 with 10% possession in a backs to wall performance every game. Winning is everything. Not for me Clive :shrug:

You could also add in that no team has lost fewer away games than us (Man City have lost once like us).

Home and Away, only Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea have lost fewer games than us.

When was the last time you could say that about Brighton? When was the last time you thought you would ever say that about Brighton?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Are biggest question remains around the preferred formation. With Dunk we played 5-4-1 in most fixtures but since he has been injured it has been 4-2-2-2 or a 4-4-2 with a diamond. The initial set up would be improved by another Trossard type player joining the attacks from a wider position on the right but the back 4 has allowed more creativity from central areas and a new CF would allow Trossard to drop back.

We might be lucky and add one of those players this window or in the summer or we may already have those in the academy and wait for Potter to develop them

Shins

Aug 13, 2015

Appreciate that and please let us know if you come back with anything you can share. It does seem a little odd to do a write up like that for a small paper that seemingly has little to no online presence. Its not as though this was done for online clickbait purposes (I could only track the story online through press reader and not even their own site).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Agree, who wouldn’t want more goals? However you are spot on and teams are setting up against us at the Amex like they would away to a ManCity or Liverpool, only we don’t have their quality throughout the side. It’s a double edged sword to be playing as well as we do, and at times it’s breathtaking football from us, definitely got faster from last season getting the ball into dangerous areas, but unfortunately dangerous areas swamped with opposition players.

Teams outside the top 6 or so are generally having teams visiting them that see it as a very good shot of a result, we’re having visitors happy to defend and pick up scraps / counter attacks. This is the reason our away form is so good because we are such a good side and teams can’t shut up shop at home as much.

All good progress, adding more goals, wow this team really would start the heart rate going!

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Just watched the EFL on Quest

I think we need a player like Mitrovic! Absolute menace against Bristol City , hatrick before half time, game over!

I’m not saying definitely him but certainly a player like him who can win and score headers in the box or knock down for the likes of Maupay, Trossard and MacAlister to pounce on

We’ve got plenty of ammunition just need a big gun to fire it!

In my humble opinion of course

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think you've answered a different point.

I'm not saying I want 10% possession and a 1-0 win. I'm saying all that "nice" football equates to less than a goal a game at home in front of the majority of our fans.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you've answered a different point.

I'm not saying I want 10% possession and a 1-0 win. I'm saying all that "nice" football equates to less than a goal a game at home in front of the majority of our fans.

Patience is not something you are blessed with is it? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports