Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Patience is not something you are blessed with is it? :lolol:

Again, not sure of your point.

The "boring" football under Hughton in 2017/18 yielded 24 goals in 19 home league games. 1.31 a game. This season we're at 0.9.

Since this isn't a thread calling for Potter's head, what sort of player do you think might improve that stat somewhat? :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The "boring" football under Hughton in 2017/18 yielded 24 goals in 19 home league games. 1.31 a game. This season we're at 0.9.

Since this isn't a thread calling for Potter's head, what sort of player do you think might improve that stat somewhat? :shrug:

A Glenn Murray sort of player, obviously.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We need to leave this discussion. There was NOTHING about CH’s pragmatic approach (in 90% of PL games) that I would swap for lower scoring GP’s approach :shrug:

Shall we just agree that we are coming at what we expect from the Albion from completely different directions. There is no right or wrong just personal preference

Who should we sign to make the difference? I have absolutely no realistic names to give you sadly. Whoever it turns out to be the chances are that I haven’t heard of him yet

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't address this to anyone in particuler, this isn't intended to be some passive aggressive response to any particular comment, but it's something I've been thinking about a while, and the latest few posts seem to provide an appropriate place to make it...

It's notable (funny in a non-humourous way?) that we are so frequently told 'fans want to see goals'. Criticism of VAR chalking off goals was in part 'because fans want to see goals' (and the not being able to properply celebrate goals as if that is all football is about). Laws are made with goal scoring in mind - offside constantly changing to reduce the number of disllowed goals, denying a goal scoring opportunity being a red card offence, (but similar cheating to score being only a yellow e.g. handball laws). 0-0 games considered boring by default (you often hear talk about how 'it's more entertaining than the scoreline suggests because there is an assumption a game without goals is boring).

Yet if you complain about your team not scoring goals you're criticised for being entitled, impatient, not understanding football, etc. Look at the criticism all brighton fans were tarred with after a small section of fans booed the Leeds 0-0. It is an interesting dichotomy in football debate..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I don't address this to anyone in particuler, this isn't intended to be some passive aggressive response to any particular comment, but it's something I've been thinking about a while, and the latest few posts seem to provide an appropriate place to make it...

It's notable (funny in a non-humourous way?) that we are so frequently told 'fans want to see goals'. Criticism of VAR chalking off goals was in part 'because fans want to see goals' (and the not being able to properply celebrate goals as if that is all football is about). Laws are made with goal scoring in mind - offside constantly changing to reduce the number of disllowed goals, denying a goal scoring opportunity being a red card offence, (but similar cheating to score being only a yellow e.g. handball laws). 0-0 games considered boring by default (you often hear talk about how 'it's more entertaining than the scoreline suggests because there is an assumption a game without goals is boring).

Yet if you complain about your team not scoring goals you're criticised for being entitled, impatient, not understanding football, etc. Look at the criticism all brighton fans were tarred with after a small section of fans booed the Leeds 0-0. It is an interesting dichotomy in football debate..

Yep. And the best moments on Twitter are always goals. Goals on transfer target player showreels, funny or unfortunate goals or ones that result in absolute LIMBS (Dunk at Fulham and Maupay at Palace spring instantly to mind). No one trails through social media looking for clips of nice passing.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
To be fair, if we signed the player we need then the threads would stop pretty quickly.
Absolutely. I think we are all (or the vast majority anyway) in agreement another striker would enhance the squad in a number of ways. The club I think agree as with attempts to get Nunez and Gonzalez last summer. I do think the patient approach for the right player is correct though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
3 seasons and counting… I wonder why patience is wearing out!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I know this thread and all the other similar threads seemingly go round in circles...but the chances of us buying a striker in this transfer window must be very slim, unless Maupay breaks a leg or something in the next couple of games.
Over the last couple of seasons we have bought a couple of strikers for the future (Zeqiri and Sima) neither of whom have had a great season so far for different reasons, and also Welbeck who looks good when he is fit.
So presumably a lot of effort will go once again into trying to find another striker to buy in the Summer.

But as many of the posters point out, spending a lot of money on a striker does not guarantee success, especially outside of the top teams.

Getting the 20 goals a season from Midfield and defence should be the priority.
After all who missed the chances this week? Yes Trossard could have scored, but then Moder a midfielder and Webster a defender both missed good chances, and of course there was Pascal...
xG was 2.8 I think I read, most of which was down to our non-strikers failing to hit the net.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Even more thrilling"?

We've scored nine goals at home in ten games. Only Wolves, Norwich and Burnley have fewer.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/table.html

I've said this before, but a certain amount of responsibility for this return falls to the midfield and defenders, IMO.

Obviously, typically the bulk of a team's goals comes from the forwards but if there were an extra, say 10 goals from elsewhere, I really don't believe we'd be having this conversation. Or not to the extent at which some people seem DESPERATE for TB to spaff tens of millions of pounds on a new recruit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Appreciate that and please let us know if you come back with anything you can share. It does seem a little odd to do a write up like that for a small paper that seemingly has little to no online presence. Its not as though this was done for online clickbait purposes (I could only track the story online through press reader and not even their own site).

It seems there was a whisper at the Leicester end that we had enquired but there's no indication that Leicester want to sell Iheanacho even if Patson Daka does get increased playing time. For one thing, they've got four extra postponed games to play as well as being in the Europa Conference, so they're going to need all hands. And that's before we get onto the likely wage demands.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not for those with their eyes glued on the scoreboard perhaps but for those of us who watched the game I think most people thought there was a fair chance of Brighton scoring a goal or two.

We had a lot of chances and good xG but never looked like taking them. I called that we'd miss the pen as soon as Gross picked the ball up. In the end we needed them to do it for us (possibly Welbz would have tapped home if Andersen hadn't stuck a leg out, possibly it was behind him).

Those of us who are AT the games knew this because we've seen it before. One goal between the Newcastle, Arsenal and Leeds matches despite being the better team in all three games.

Like I've said a few times on this thread it's an absolute constant over the last season and a half,

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Neville is right, right now.

As bloom, barber and potter mention frequently, in order to compete we need to pursue different avenues to the big six.

This has its negatives (the striker) but has some huge positives too.

I cant imagine many teams blooding Sanchez, Connolly, White, Sarmiento, Moder et al and giving them as many games at this level or taking a punt on Sima, Ally Mac and the USG contingent.

For every missing striker frustration I counter-balance with some real quality and value emerging as players get closer to their prime.

Theres a reason we were linked with Nunez. We just need to find (and sign) the next one.

The real sweetener is that few of our players are at their peak. Make no mistake, this is a squad on the rise. WIth a few additions in the coming seaasons, I can see us proving Neville wrong.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We had a lot of chances and good xG but never looked like taking them. I called that we'd miss the pen as soon as Gross picked the ball up. In the end we needed them to do it for us (possibly Welbz would have tapped home if Andersen hadn't stuck a leg out, possibly it was behind him).

Those of us who are AT the games knew this because we've seen it before. One goal between the Newcastle, Arsenal and Leeds matches despite being the better team in all three games.

Like I've said a few times on this thread it's an absolute constant over the last season and a half,

Ok, so what you're saying is that they never looked like scoring on the chances because they actually didnt score on them?

In that case surely you could replace this sentence:

Another frustrating game where we were by far the better side but also never really looked like scoring (missing a pen and fouling in the box are not going to get you an actual goal).

with this:

Another frustrating game where we were by far the better side but also never scored.

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports