Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking Options

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ok, so what you're saying is that they never looked like scoring on the chances because they actually didnt score on them?

In that case surely you could replace this sentence:

Another frustrating game where we were by far the better side but also never really looked like scoring (missing a pen and fouling in the box are not going to get you an actual goal).

with this:

Another frustrating game where we were by far the better side but also never scored.

???

Not sure why you've resorted to semantics and ad hominem already. Do you think we need another attacking player to complement and back up Maupay and Welbeck ???

Jimmy Grimble

We had a lot of chances and good xG but never looked like taking them. I called that we'd miss the pen as soon as Gross picked the ball up. In the end we needed them to do it for us (possibly Welbz would have tapped home if Andersen hadn't stuck a leg out, possibly it was behind him).

Those of us who are AT the games knew this because we've seen it before. One goal between the Newcastle, Arsenal and Leeds matches despite being the better team in all three games.

Like I've said a few times on this thread it's an absolute constant over the last season and a half,

Those of us who have seen us score plenty of late goals this season always fancied us to get an equaliser.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure why you've resorted to semantics and ad hominem already. Do you think we need another attacking player to complement and back up Maupay and Welbeck ???

Need? No, not currently. Could it be useful/helpful? Yes. Dont think it would have mattered much in the Palace game as it would have to be someone who is ahead of Maupay or Welbeck in the pecking order which is quite unlikely given how well they've performed this season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Need? No, not currently. Could it be useful/helpful? Yes. Dont think it would have mattered much in the Palace game as it would have to be someone who is ahead of Maupay or Welbeck in the pecking order which is quite unlikely given how well they've performed this season.

So happy to gamble on Welbeck's fitness when Covid is causing fixture congestion nightmares then? Happy to have not one single reliable penalty taker in the whole team (you could argue that Maupay and MacAllister are but then why didn't one of them take the ball off Gross? And Maupay isn't exactly Jorginho in that respect)?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So happy to gamble on Welbeck's fitness when Covid is causing fixture congestion nightmares then? Happy to have not one single reliable penalty taker in the whole team (you could argue that Maupay and MacAllister are but then why didn't one of them take the ball off Gross? And Maupay isn't exactly Jorginho in that respect)?

Quite happy yes. Things could be even better but I'm not actively seeking reasons to be unhappy, I leave that to others.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Neville is right, right now.

As bloom, barber and potter mention frequently, in order to compete we need to pursue different avenues to the big six.

This has its negatives (the striker) but has some huge positives too.

I cant imagine many teams blooding Sanchez, Connolly, White, Sarmiento, Moder et al and giving them as many games at this level or taking a punt on Sima, Ally Mac and the USG contingent.

For every missing striker frustration I counter-balance with some real quality and value emerging as players get closer to their prime.

Theres a reason we were linked with Nunez. We just need to find (and sign) the next one.

The real sweetener is that few of our players are at their peak. Make no mistake, this is a squad on the rise. WIth a few additions in the coming seaasons, I can see us proving Neville wrong.

This, we need to do thing differently and part of doing it differently means it is going to take longer. The scoring goals part is the last piece of the puzzle and by far the hardest.

The club are surely working on this and trying to address the issue without throwing tens of millions of pounds at the problem (this doesn't always work).

While we sit in mid table in the premier League we need to acknowledge the progress we are making/have made and wait patiently for the club's plans to come to fruition.

The other option is to chop and change managers looking for one to do a better job than Potter within the constraints set by the club. I don't know where we find such a manger.

What a time to be a Brighton fan. Mid table in the premier League with a bright bright future.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I wonder if Maupay has said he doesn't want the pressure , if that's the case then happy with that if it keeps him in the current form.

Gross had scored 11 from 13 penalties so his form is not that bad but anyone watching him on TV could see he was far too nervous when he has taken them before, in season 1 & 2 he just looked calm and collected. I also think his first team days are going to reduce we have better midfield players now (though 3 are injured or absent)

Personally I would have gone with Mac , on premise that he has a longer future at the club, has taken a great penalty and is less likely to get phased if he missed unlike Maupay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Neville is right, right now.

As bloom, barber and potter mention frequently, in order to compete we need to pursue different avenues to the big six.

This has its negatives (the striker) but has some huge positives too.

I cant imagine many teams blooding Sanchez, Connolly, White, Sarmiento, Moder et al and giving them as many games at this level or taking a punt on Sima, Ally Mac and the USG contingent.

For every missing striker frustration I counter-balance with some real quality and value emerging as players get closer to their prime.

Theres a reason we were linked with Nunez. We just need to find (and sign) the next one.

The real sweetener is that few of our players are at their peak. Make no mistake, this is a squad on the rise. WIth a few additions in the coming seaasons, I can see us proving Neville wrong.

I don't think anyone's disputing the potential in the squad, but we are talking about sticking it in the onion bag here. Not exactly what Sanchez or the now departed White are for. Sarmiento I'll give you. Massive potential and a really exciting attacking player - sadly injured. Of that group the only other one employed purely to create and score goals is Connolly and he's clearly nowhere near up to it.

Moder is an interesting one for me - I genuinely think he can and will add goals from midfield in due course.

Those of us who have seen us score plenty of late goals this season always fancied us to get an equaliser.

For every West Ham, Palace and Southampton (and, guess what, I go away too) there's a Villa, Arsenal or Leeds. Sometime we do, sometimes we don't :shrug:

Jimmy Grimble

For every West Ham, Palace and Southampton (and, guess what, I go away too) there's a Villa, Arsenal or Leeds. Sometime we do, sometimes we don't :shrug:

Yep. And some of us are half-full, some of us half-empty.

The team have a lot more belief in themselves at the moment than I’ve seen in the last 1.5 seasons, which is why I always fancied we’d find a way of scoring.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You seem to be managing a consistent tone of frustration and annoyance in a season I’m not sure we’ve dropped out the top half. I’m not sure why you feel the club needs a stick on this when it’s not really in dispute we lack goals and could do with another option up front - I’m not sure why that can’t be from the basis of positivity about how we’re playing generally as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] has been saying.

Had Maupay, MacA taken it and missed, I wouldn’t be surprised for people crying out for Gross to have taken it given he’s been reliable from the spot.

I guess, like [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] there is a sense that we’re so close to be properly great, that it’s difficult to enjoy what’s actually happening because of thinking more about what could be.

Moral of the story is be more like Icy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The latest name is Stephy Mavididi, from Montpellier.

I did do a thread.
But it was a rather lacklustre effort.
Lost it before posting.
Never returned.

(His little brother is on the books at Newcastle)

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
It seems there was a whisper at the Leicester end that we had enquired but there's no indication that Leicester want to sell Iheanacho even if Patson Daka does get increased playing time. For one thing, they've got four extra postponed games to play as well as being in the Europa Conference, so they're going to need all hands. And that's before we get onto the likely wage demands.

Sorry delayed reply. Thanks for following up and hopefully our interest in genuine, either in this window or the summer. He'd do very well here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here