Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At what point should Potter be sacked?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Genuine question - when should Potter be sacked?
4 wins in 25 games is not temporary loss of form.

Never?
When we are relegated?
10 points adrift of 4th bottom at Christmas?
If we don’t win in the next month?
If we can’t beat Villa?

Why don't you stop being so passive aggressive and just say what's on your mind?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If anyone is to blame it is Maupay. His conversion rate is mediocre, he's had a bust-up with the coach, he takes too many touches.

Put Callum Wilson, Watkins or Edouard in this side and we're comfortably mid-table looking upwards. Put Ings in this side and we're pushing top 6. Sounds far-fetched? Check the stats, Southampton have less shots per game than us, less possession of the ball. It's just they convert better than we do.

And if you don't want to blame Maupay then blame the board for not selling White and using the money for that elusive top striker we've continuously been lacking. Maupay is NOT a top striker, he is an average striker at best who gets a lot of chances and occasionally one goes in.

Moder of Lech Poznan will know all about Darwin Nunez, he watched him score a hat-trick against his side Lech Poznan a coupe of weeks ago. It is heartbreaking to see Watkins and Wilson scoring goals for rival teams, just as it is heartbreaking to watch Odsonne Edouard waste a year at Celtic under a complete binner of a manager in Neil Lennon.

I'm glad someone has finally said it. The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle is a clinical forward, and things would then be looking very different for us.

Unfortunately, Maupay is not the man for the job. He is a not a clinical finisher, is a mediocre player at best in the Premier League and probably Championship level is more suitable for him. It should have been a priority for us to sign someone decent in this area, a high profile and proven signing that would have improved the team.

And even bringing back Murray as a squad player would be an improvement and give us more options too instead of loaning him out to Watford.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
When Tony and Paul deem it to be the best thing to do.

Hopefully, this will be when they have someone better lined up who will play within their decided constraints.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone who is seriously calling for Potter to be sacked is an idiot, and here's why:

1. We are currently 2nd in the Premier League in most shots this season (105) - behind Liverpool.
2. We have the 20th - worst - ratio of shots / shots on target. Only 1 in 4 is on target. That is pitiful.
3. We've conceded 14 goals with just 22 shots on target - 2 in 3 are going in! This is also comfortably the highest ratio in the Prem with the rest 50% or less.
4. This means that after 8 matches our keeper is averaging just 1 (!) save per match. In the 2 seasons under Hughton Ryan was averaging 3 saves per game, now it is 1.Even allowing for him conceding an above-average amount for the defence to be allowing less than 3 shots on target per match - having played some decent sides - is excellent.

Number 3 is a freak stat, distorted by the excellent conversion rate of the top sides we've faced in our early games - Chelsea, Spurs, Everton Man Utd all with clinical finishers. So it will go down, and recent signs are that our defence IS getting better.

If anyone is to blame it is Maupay. His conversion rate is mediocre, he's had a bust-up with the coach, he takes too many touches.

Put Callum Wilson, Watkins or Edouard in this side and we're comfortably mid-table looking upwards. Put Ings in this side and we're pushing top 6. Sounds far-fetched? Check the stats, Southampton have less shots per game than us, less possession of the ball. It's just they convert better than we do.

And if you don't want to blame Maupay then blame the board for not selling White and using the money for that elusive top striker we've continuously been lacking. Maupay is NOT a top striker, he is an average striker at best who gets a lot of chances and occasionally one goes in.

Moder of Lech Poznan will know all about Darwin Nunez, he watched him score a hat-trick against his side Lech Poznan a coupe of weeks ago. It is heartbreaking to see Watkins and Wilson scoring goals for rival teams, just as it is heartbreaking to watch Odsonne Edouard waste a year at Celtic under a complete binner of a manager in Neil Lennon.

I like Maupay but it is become increasingly clear that he is not good enough to be our main goal threat. Unfortunately, I think we are going to be waiting a few games for Welbeck to get match fit and sharp enough. Someone on the radio the other day said that the Premier League is not a place to get players fit, it is simply too competitive for clubs to be able to take time getting players ready. Sadly i don't think we have a choice.

Welback got in the right positions today and had lots of touches in the area. Unfortunately for us his touch is not sharp enough . . . yet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think it’s more when will Potter walk, if only you had backed him in the window Brighton we could be sitting top six right now.
The amount on here that said I’m happy with the strikers a £30m striker won’t score it’s a myth always thought £30m was an odd example to use but there you go. GP wanted a left back, striker, keeper as priorities :whistle: Ashworth then had the cheek to say we had a great window in his club video hastily put together when a few fans had a moan.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
One more season, Maupay will go in Jan and be replaced hopefully by someone who can find the net and things will start to change.
Welbeck starting to find his feet as well.

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
If after matchday 17, Brighton is in the relegation zone.

I much prefer Potter's football to Hughton, but considering the quality of the squad compared to Fulham, West Brom, Burnley and dare I say Sheffield, there's really no excuse for Brighton to be in the relegation zone at that point of the season.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
Probably not. :D I still think our luck will turn. Every team needs a bit of that in a season.

You can only be so unlucky.

Our 2020 record is shocking.

Insanity is repeating the same errors & expecting different results.

Something has to change. Luck is not one of them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Shouldn't underestimate the power of luck. Remember the last days of CMS? Harder the poor bugger tried, the unluckier he got. Sometimes that's just the way things go, for no real reason at all. All you can do is try and work your way through it and hope your luck changes

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Stopping the f****** short corners and free kicks would help matters, it's really doing my head in now and play Alzate!!!!! :rant:.
We are playing fantastic, yet ultimately ineffective football and look so close to being a top 10 side. Watching Lallana and Welbeck in Brighton shirts, the pure class of Bissouma and the excitement of Lamptey should be such a pleasurable experience, but it isn't because it's so f****** frustrating. Why play Sanchez and then drop him from the squad completely? I think we need to keep hold of Potter for now. A decent goalkeeper, maybe that's Sanchez, and another quality striker and we really could be something special. So for now #KeepTheFaith.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It’s not great but it’s not shocking either.
P26 W4 D12 L10 pts 24

Point per game generally keeps you up. 10 defeats from 26 games isn’t the results of shocking side at all.

I’m not painting that 4 wins is good either, but it’s a false narrative to say the record in 2020 is shocking.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In some ways I think age has softened me, if this scenario was played out at the Goldstone and we had the pre social media fanzine culture I’ve no doubt the majority of the faithful would want him sacked, now in these unprecedented times I don’t like seeing any honest hardworking family man losing their job.
He’s a nice bloke, trying his best, but is there any room in modern day football for sentiment?, it was Mickey Duff, not Arry, who said if you want loyalty buy a dog.
The bottom line IMHO is that he’s way out of his depth at this level, and unfortunately senior figures at the club will have to publicly concede this, but will it be sooner or later?

The club is bigger than anyone, managers, coaches, players,even directors, and for the good of the club I would make the change now .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Shouldn't underestimate the power of luck. Remember the last days of CMS? Harder the poor bugger tried, the unluckier he got. Sometimes that's just the way things go, for no real reason at all. All you can do is try and work your way through it and hope your luck changes

This.

Not saying the lack of wins is all because of bad luck because its not that simple, but lets not pretend its not a part of it. If people have watched all the Brighton games this year, no one can say that the team was lucky.

Last time the team was lucky, as I see it, was the win against Everton in 2019.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think I'd stick with him at the moment. I was properly disappointed with the Everton and West Brom performances but not the others.

I think if it gets to a stage where he appears to have lost the team that's the time. Doesn't feel like that at the moment.

Many teams have a sharper edge than us up front - and we play quite an open game. That combination will make us often seem unlucky

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Definitely stick with Potter. We are playing really good football!
We have never played such good football. The points will come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here