Ask Paul Barber

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
CL: have the police questioned you over the pebble you STOLE on Brighton beach to "pledge" yourself to the citizens of your very own constituency yet?

CL: Serious one, stance Student fees at university? For 9k or should we get it for free? Straight figure would be nice :)!

PB: What "world class" contacts do you have that Gus doesn't have?!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where did he say no? He said they were constantly looking at ways to 'getting the stadium as full as can be'.

He is neglecting to take in to account that there are many students whom support BHAFC, perhaps a fair few who arew unable to afford or put off attending due to high prices.

The last paragraph - he dismissed the idea of talking about discounts, principally because he says it's unfair on those who have paid full whack. I don't think it's unreasonable to take that as a 'no'.

He is considering those who can't pay full whack by offering slightly reduced three- or four- match tickets. It looks to me as if he is confident of attracting new supporters to pay at a (for want of a better term) non-student rate. If that doesn't work to its fullest, I suppose he would approach USSU and UBSU.

You can always email him if you want to get him to change his mind - paul.barber[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did he drone on about Brand Brighton just like he did on the Roar

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
To PB....My favourite gripe....why is there not ANY heavy beers being sold anywhere in the Stadium....No Guinness....no Murphys....no Stout...we don't all drink beers and Lager....I do not buy any beers at the stadium because of limited choice.....it would certainly increase sales if the heavy beers were sold.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To PB: Why are the club now charging hundreds of pounds for a child to be a mascot when it used to be free and children were picked from Gully's Gang?

For Paul Barber.
The club now reports "attendance" as actual tickets sold.
Is it possible for the club to report both actual tickets sold and the amount of people who went to the match?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
When Barbar appeared on The Roar he said he's 'dipped' into the books the supporters club gave him to read - presumably to help him learn a bit more about our history than he already did. It really isn't asking too much for him to have actually read these, rather than 'dipped' which could mean he's just flicked through them at his desk and shoved them under some papers.
Obviously the club needs to be run on a sound commercial footing to help finance these fantastic players we're now attracting, that's the naked reality of modern day football, we're not stupid we know that. But please don't overdo it... the thing on the website about charging people £350 to be a mascot is just horrible. The Albion shouldn't be elitists... how many parents can afford £350 on top of the season ticket costs and drinks etc for the mascot package? Also it doesn't make much sense to me... i dread to think how much money i've spent on the albion over the years precisely because i was hooked in from an early age. We're not a Spurs, a huge club playing in a ground that's much too small for them. If anything we're the opposite, so please don't put off our younger fans and families for the sake of £350.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not a question, more of a statement:

£350 for a kid to be a mascot? Shithouse Barber. SHITHOUSE.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
When Barbar appeared on The Roar he said he's 'dipped' into the books the supporters club gave him to read - presumably to help him learn a bit more about our history than he already did. It really isn't asking too much for him to have actually read these, rather than 'dipped' which could mean he's just flicked through them at his desk and shoved them under some papers.

Actually he said he had read them and he didn't use the word "dipped":

"I understand, as part of your initiation once you’d accepted the job it was to read “Build a Bonfire” and ”We Want Falmer”. Is that actually true?"

PB: "I think I’ve got four books now and I’ve worked through them and what you tend to do I think when you’re trying to sort of accelerate your knowledge of the club’s history is you tend to jump around the book. Someone says something to you and go away and find it in the book and you check out whether it’s true."

"So you haven’t read them cover to cover at all have you?"

PB "Well actually I think I have. But not necessarily in the right order."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually he said he had read them and he didn't use the word "dipped":

"I understand, as part of your initiation once you’d accepted the job it was to read “Build a Bonfire” and ”We Want Falmer”. Is that actually true?"

PB: "I think I’ve got four books now and I’ve worked through them and what you tend to do I think when you’re trying to sort of accelerate your knowledge of the club’s history is you tend to jump around the book. Someone says something to you and go away and find it in the book and you check out whether it’s true."

"So you haven’t read them cover to cover at all have you?"

PB "Well actually I think I have. But not necessarily in the right order."

A clever answer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question to HT - have you listened to the show in question?

Er, no. Besides, I'm boycotting until the invite to be a guest arrives. It has been alluded to twice now :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question to HT - have you listened to the show in question?

It is a clever answer though, do you not agree? Alludes to having read the books but also providing plenty of wriggle-room for not having read them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports