Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barnes' game has come on in leaps and bounds and he now contributes so much more across the front line and "defending from the front" than he ever did or could before. He is our leading scorer and before anyone says it's because he takes penalties - yes he does; he takes them and scores them which is more than most of our strikers could do last season! He follows the instructions given to him by the coaches and the result is a player who - no matter that people who only expect a striker to stand on the six yard line don't understand it - has probably doubled his market value and his value to the team. He may have to get used to a subs' role now that Vokes is here but that doesn't devalue his worth and may indeed give him the opportunity to win over the doubters.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought he was poor today but that's my opinion. Overall I like him... maybe as a back up striker though.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He was very good today. Most people that have a go at him don't understand the position he's playing.

I am by no means anti Barnes and think he gets some unnecessary abuse but thought he had a poor game today. Aside from the glaring miss his first touch was terrible and I was very surprised he was not amongst those subbed off.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can only guess that those who can't appreciate Barnes at the moment are seeing him only as a striker!? He is covering a lot of ground, defending and supporting the midfield and gets up top to help as much as he can.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I am by no means anti Barnes and think he gets some unnecessary abuse but thought he had a poor game today. Aside from the glaring miss his first touch was terrible and I was very surprised he was not amongst those subbed off.

Really? Re plays his part in a system that drags the defenders all over the place and helps CMS while defending too. He hasn't got the greatest first touch but I thought his passing was OK, done his job as good as anyone else and almost set up CMS with the header (who should have been in a better position to score if you ask me).

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't play as well as he did in mid-week, but still had a good game. That goal at Wrexham seems to have given him a major confidence boost, he has looked a completely different player since then.

Some of the stick he has got has been completely unfair and I don't think people realise his enormous potential. At only 22. He has already scored 20 goals in league one and is proving himself to be more then useful in the Championship.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Really? Re plays his part in a system that drags the defenders all over the place and helps CMS while defending too. He hasn't got the greatest first touch but I thought his passing was OK, done his job as good as anyone else and almost set up CMS with the header (who should have been in a better position to score if you ask me).

There was a ten minute spell in first half where he played in the hole behind CMS in his natural position and looked very effective but aside from that I think he was below par.

I like Barnes and think he has a lot to offer but off the bench for me. But hey it's a game of opinions

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Considering his previous experience he did well for us last season but he is not Championship standard and should be loaned out to improve himself.
He scores but when percentage of chances are taken into consideration his average is poor, the number of penalty goals gives him an advantage.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
top player, top guy, would rather have him in our team than against, makes a few silly passes, but so have I, as you would know if you met my wife

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

You mean the header that he unselfishly directed exactly at where CMS should have been? That would have resulted in a tap-in? Exactly what he should of done in that position? Watch the highlights and then eat the pie of humility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here