Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Really? Are you a relatively new supporter?

No, but I am only 21. the sort of strikers i've seen come and go in my lifetime have been utter tripe in comparison to Barnes, the only player who comes close is Murray and he will never be remembered for the great player he was because of his choice of club, and i was to young when Zamora and Leon Knight were around to really remember their quality. It will be a long time before we see a player that in the face of constant abuse from his own fans gives his absolute all every single game and scores 53 goals. In my opinion any striker that scores 50 goals for the club should be remembered.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
No, but I am only 21. the sort of strikers i've seen come and go in my lifetime have been utter tripe in comparison to Barnes, the only player who comes close is Murray and he will never be remembered for the great player he was because of his choice of club, and i was to young when Zamora and Leon Knight were around to really remember their quality. It will be a long time before we see a player that in the face of constant abuse from his own fans gives his absolute all every single game and scores 53 goals. In my opinion any striker that scores 50 goals for the club should be remembered.

He has been a great player for us, i am sure a lot of the young lads around us feel the same.

He is also still going to be a Marmite player long after his departure. I think he will do very well in the Burnley set up and his replacement certainly will have a bench mark to be marked against.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
He has been a great player for us, i am sure a lot of the young lads around us feel the same.

He is also still going to be a Marmite player long after his departure. I think he will do very well in the Burnley set up and his replacement certainly will have a bench mark to be marked against.

I think he will prove to be a quality signing for Burnley and will leave a lot of our fans red-faced. Just look how well Vokes has done this season, and he wasn't great for us.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
All the best for the future Barnsey, sad to see you go. Think we might come to regret this move, going on current information anyway.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Gutted. Wonder if some of our 'fans' hadn't been such ignorant ********s and hadn't kept groaning at or abusing Ashley, he might have had more confidence and wouldn't have left. Sad day, though Ince signing a new contract is certainly news to celebrate.

Aug 23, 2011
To be honest, I never rated him. He's to slow. Good luck to him, he'll not get a regular start, Burnley will fall out the top six within 4 weeks & will be playing Champioship football next season.

Burnley will not be out of the top 6 in 4 weeks. Even if you extend that to 5 weeks that covers 7 games. If burnley get a relegation level points haul of 1 point a game that puts them 18 points ahead of us, so you're expecting us to get 19 points from next 21. Burnley probably won't leave the top 6 this season now

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Burnley will not be out of the top 6 in 4 weeks. Even if you extend that to 5 weeks that covers 7 games. If burnley get a relegation level points haul of 1 point a game that puts them 18 points ahead of us, so you're expecting us to get 19 points from next 21. Burnley probably won't leave the top 6 this season now

don't let facts get in the way of a good old opinion

L1882

Jan 9, 2014
Nice post. Thank you for that. I think you've got Barnes about spot on. Are you going to lose Ings this window do you think?

I'm hoping not. I think it would take a big offer to tempt us to sell before summer - and any sale would cause huge issues with the fan base.

In terms of the BNP posters, the homophobic slurs and 13 year old wanna be thugs. Luckily the posters have long gone but there is little question that as an area we still face huge challenges. There is a large, primarily Muslim of Pakistani heritage community in the area and, unfortunately, dim wits in both camps occasionally raise their heads and cause friction but, truth be told, we probably experience less trouble than most areas who have similar populations. We do also have, IMHO, a ridiculously large number with out dated, backward homophobic views. But not everybody, or even near the majority, are that way. Most are decent, funny, hard working folk who love their football, aye and love a drink and a bit of banter to go with it. I wish I could get rid of all the idiots, I can't but I can recommend on your next visit the Cricket Club, where home and away fans mingle peacefully together.

(also, if required I can advise on a number of places that even local fans avoid like the plague on match days)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm fairly certain those big few weeks started quite a few months ago.

Christ I hope so! Still got to get them over the line and that is always the tricky bit. There's no point in identifying a really good player if you don't actually sign him...

We need something better than Barnes if we are to sneak into those play offs. Others are strengthening too.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm hoping not. I think it would take a big offer to tempt us to sell before summer - and any sale would cause huge issues with the fan base.

In terms of the BNP posters, the homophobic slurs and 13 year old wanna be thugs. Luckily the posters have long gone but there is little question that as an area we still face huge challenges. There is a large, primarily Muslim of Pakistani heritage community in the area and, unfortunately, dim wits in both camps occasionally raise their heads and cause friction but, truth be told, we probably experience less trouble than most areas who have similar populations. We do also have, IMHO, a ridiculously large number with out dated, backward homophobic views. But not everybody, or even near the majority, are that way. Most are decent, funny, hard working folk who love their football, aye and love a drink and a bit of banter to go with it. I wish I could get rid of all the idiots, I can't but I can recommend on your next visit the Cricket Club, where home and away fans mingle peacefully together.

(also, if required I can advise on a number of places that even local fans avoid like the plague on match days)

Whilst I am in nostalgia mode. When we made the march to Mellor to protest outside Archer's house all those years ago, a car full of Burnley fans drove up to offer their support. Top lads and a gesture that was much appreciated at the time.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What I've read of him (Barnes) and the little I've seen he is a player very much in the mould Dyche looks for, works hard, presses high up the pitch, reasonable amount of talent and knows where the goal is even if not prolific.

Well, I have to say that for a non-Brighton fan you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I fear at Brighton he always suffered somewhat being in the shadow of more loved and (more importantly) prolific strikers like Murray, CMS (before the fans turned on him) and now Ulloa. His versatility cost him a lot reputation-wise at the Albion as Gus always tended to play him out of position and the general perception (amongst some) was "He's a striker who doesn't score goals". In reality, 50-odd goals in 160 apps was a remarkable feat given about 90-100 of those apps were out of position.

In my opinion, you are getting a very strong player who will only benefit your squad, sadly, at the expense of ours (for the time being at least)...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Best of luck to Barnes at Burnley, deserves to be remembered with affection here for his part in our League One Championship winning side, and for the hard-graft, good team link up play, and comedy dives subsequently.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Barnes has gone.. so what. Its football and thats that. He left for his own reasons.. I feel he went because he knew that this club didnt have long term plans for him .. Whether he thinks he can do better than us it doesnt matter. As for the line that hes not appreciated.. well thats football isnt it? If you score week in and week out your a god.. if you miss more than you score your a donkey and thats part of the game. Moving on..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I dont think Barnes really featured in OG's plans, as much as his all round play is ok for a striker the amount of missed chances reflects in the transfer fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here