Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So, if you were a Burnley fan, this time last season you would have been saying the same about Danny Ings.

"He only scored 3 goals in 32 appearances last season, he is not a championship striker. He has 6 goals in 47 games in the Championship. That tells you all you need to know"

He has scored 15 in 23 this season.
Nothing to do with the fact that Charlie Austin was their main striker last season was it?.... I cant remember when he was sold on.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I sincerely believe though, that if we didnt have our torrid injury issues with strikers this season, AB would have been on the fringes behind LU, CMS and WH..... dont beat me up over it, I am expressing a view, its not 'HATE' as some of you love to throw around, its simply that I am not a fan of his from a football perspective ( I dont know him personally, so whats to hate?)

That's a similar view to mine. Can't fault his effort, but that's not always enough.
I actually have met him off-piste and he is a lovely honest guy, and i'm pleased and grateful for his efforts for our club. Good luck to him and may we both move on successfully.

That said i'm still getting over the sale of Kurt Nogan to the same mob! Regardless of his form at the time, that WAS daylight robbery!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nothing to do with the fact that Charlie Austin was their main striker last season was it?.... I cant remember when he was sold on.

So Barnes record is nothing to do with CMS and then Ulloa being ahead of him, or him playing as a midfielder for the majority of the games?

That's my point excetly. It is the single laziest stat to throw when assessing a player, the goals to game ratio. It doesn't tell the whole story.

Players aren't born scoring 1 in 2. They eventually get there, perhaps through a break in the team or just sheer quality. But either way, it is crazy to suggest that Barnes can't get there.

It works the other way also. You may buy a chap who bangs in 20 goals for fun at his previous club. He then turns out to barely score for you. See Torres.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So Barnes record is nothing to do with CMS and then Ulloa being ahead of him, or him playing as a midfielder for the majority of the games?

That's my point excetly. It is the single laziest stat to throw when assessing a player, the goals to game ratio. It doesn't tell the whole story.

Players aren't born scoring 1 in 2. They eventually get there, perhaps through a break in the team or just sheer quality. But either way, it is crazy to suggest that Barnes can't get there.

It works the other way also. You may buy a chap who bangs in 20 goals for fun at his previous club. He then turns out to barely score for you. See Torres.

After Murrays first season at palace they must have wondered what they had bought....second season..wham..the messiah...its a funny old game

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Must admit I have been worried with the possible sales of Bridcutt and Barnes .
Much reassured now Ince has signed an extension.
Now we have not only the money from the sale of Barnes with half a season left on his contract
But also money from the bridcutt sale with an exciting prospect to take his place.
Hopefully we can use this money to strengthen our attacking options.
We have just been a bit to goal shy in the last 2 and a half seasons for a side that can win promotion.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

What you say makes perfect sense, except for one thing,... when Ings moved from the support role to number 1 when Austin left, he simply couldnt stop banging them in,.... AB has sadly been found wanting when given the same opportunity this season once Ulloa was crocked.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What you say makes perfect sense, except for one thing,... when Ings moved from the support role to number 1 when Austin left, he simply couldnt stop banging them in,.... AB has sadly been found wanting when given the same opportunity this season once Ulloa was crocked.

Maybe its more to do with the partnership with Vokes that is more to do with Ings scoring more? At least Barnes won't end up playing up front on his tod....we shall see

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
So, if you were a Burnley fan, this time last season you would have been saying the same about Danny Ings.

"He only scored 3 goals in 32 appearances last season, he is not a championship striker. He has 6 goals in 47 games in the Championship. That tells you all you need to know"

He has scored 15 in 23 this season.

Spot on. Barnes is definitely improving,too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But surely you can't compare our style and formation with Burnley's, that's nonsense and a poor comparison.

Would Ings have scored a 'hatful' if he had played in our team instead of Ulloa, I think not.

I know we've had this discussion before, but a number of managers, including Poyet, Dyche and apparently McDermott think he is a good player. Garcia possibly does as well, but he doesn't play with 2 forwards and as much as I think he is a good player, he is clearly not better than Ulloa. (He is however IMO, 'streets ahead of CMS and Hoskins).

I think we'll miss his defensive attributes as much as his forward play, because no-one else in the team offers these as well.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
But surely you can't compare our style and formation with Burnley's, that's nonsense and a poor comparison.

Would Ings have scored a 'hatful' if he had played in our team instead of Ulloa, I think not.

I know we've had this discussion before, but a number of managers, including Poyet, Dyche and apparently McDermott think he is a good player. Garcia possibly does as well, but he doesn't play with 2 forwards and as much as I think he is a good player, he is clearly not better than Ulloa. (He is however IMO, 'streets ahead of CMS and Hoskins).

I think we'll miss his defensive attributes as much as his forward play, because no-one else in the team offers these as well.
Its all subjective of course, your assumptions hold as many holes as mine do because we dont know the answers in reality.

I wont miss him, but I am looking forward to A.N. Other playing instead.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its all subjective of course, your assumptions hold as many holes as mine do because we dont know the answers in reality.

I wont miss him, but I am looking forward to A.N. Other playing instead.

Yes, have to move forward. No one player bigger than the club. Do you think Bridcutt will go?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Life goes on.

Their promotion credentials just improved, at our expense.

Good luck Ashley, thanks for everything.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
Must admit I have been worried with the possible sales of Bridcutt and Barnes .
Much reassured now Ince has signed an extension.
Now we have not only the money from the sale of Barnes with half a season left on his contract
But also money from the bridcutt sale with an exciting prospect to take his place.
Hopefully we can use this money to strengthen our attacking options.
We have just been a bit to goal shy in the last 2 and a half seasons for a side that can win promotion.

Has bridcutt definitely been.sold today then. I must've missed that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here