Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes is clearly good enough for us.......

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Why did Barnes miss the start of pre-season then?

I've been somewhat isolated from the Albion due to work.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes, according to the football league stats, had a better strike rate than most of the top scorers in the league.
Stats. There are many a good quotes about stats. Maybe if they kept stats on players that go clean through on the keeper yet don't manage to get a shot in, he'd have a great stat rate there. Maybe if they kept stats on players that go down pleading for a free kick after the slighest of touches and told to get up by the ref, he'd do well there as well.

But I don't want to start bashing him again, and I hope geniunlly hope he scores 20 plus goals this season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No it didn't. It was a opinion, that believe it or a lot of people agreed with. It was just the manner in which I said it people didn't like. You've only got to look at threads about the starting line up, throughout the summer and you'll not see too much support for Barnes.

For what its worth, I thought he played well until he had to go off yesterday, but I'm not changing my opinion of him after one good game, the same as I didn't make my opinion of him last season after one poor game.

I still say if we had a player in the class of CMS here playing the game time Barnes had last year, he'd have netted 50 or so. Certainly would have beat Wardys record. If we had the strike force we have now, then Barnes wouldn't have been discussed last season. He would not have been close to the side.

And if Lord Poyet gets his new striker he's after, I can still see Barnes being 4th choice at best this season.Lets be honest, he only started yesterday due to injuries, and because he's missed pre-season games due to very understandable reasons.

As I said before, if he comes good and proves me wrong, I'll get humble pie, as well as be delighted for him.

If because my opinion is different to yours makes me a twat to you, then your a f***ing nazi :shrug:

It wasn't that your opinion was different to mine, it was your psychotic obsessiveness that makes you sound like a twat

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Got to say I have always been in the "Barnes isnt good enough camp" , I think his first touch is poor and he will get half a second less in the championship and this may be exposed more. Just because he scored a tap in on Saturday does not suddenly mean he is first choice ahead of Hoskins either, if Hoskins had been fit then he would have started. All that said I got to admit( although it pains me), he does have a knack of being in the right place at the right time and that is indeed a rare quality. The boy is winning me around, but not fully won round just yet. Lets see after five games, when the real action starts,,,,,,this is just my opion.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Stats. There are many a good quotes about stats. Maybe if they kept stats on players that go clean through on the keeper yet don't manage to get a shot in, he'd have a great stat rate there. Maybe if they kept stats on players that go down pleading for a free kick after the slighest of touches and told to get up by the ref, he'd do well there as well.

But I don't want to start bashing him again, and I hope geniunlly hope he scores 20 plus goals this season.

Nor do I wish to be confrontational as it is neither my intention nor my style, but you have vigourously defended Casper Ankergren (at the other end of the pitch from Ashley Barnes), a view I don't entirely share, especially after Saturday, when perhaps the first two goals could have been saved by a good stopper. Question, were you a GK in any playing days you had ?

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
i think no one knows for sure, however he has earnt the right to have a opportunity in the championship by his performance against spurs but more importantly last season.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
How is Hoskins injury?.I thought we were gonna hear today.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If our third choice striker gets 20 goals this season then I think it will be a great time to be an Albion fan once more.

Barnes is a player for whom the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wouldn't it be good to have Bobby Z instead !?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
His technique on the ball, link up play and most importantly his finishing have improved so much since Gus has been able to exert his influence. When he arrived he had that tenacious attitude, but not a lot else - he's now developing into a great all-round striker.

Says it all. Gus took the raw striker, and has improved him no end. A fighter, brave, tenacious too.
Still young. With better service than first half today, all the strikers will get goals.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Talking specifically about Ashley Barnes, I would just like to say that I think we are fortunate to have him as one of our strikers.

Gus recognises that we need to have a have a squad system (because players get tired or become injured but, mainly, because they are playing for each other and they ALL want the team to be doing well, so every one of them would be mad to selfishly wish to cling on to their particular spot.)

Ash has done very well, especially this summer, and I take this opportunity of congratutlating him on the recent addition to his family - should he ever read this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After todays performance I think the title of this thread is wrong it should be edited to say isnt as he offered nothing today but he may make the bench when Hoskins is 1st choice with CMS and will probably be a bonus to come on against tired defenders.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
After todays performance I think the title of this thread is wrong it should be edited to say isnt as he offered nothing today but he may make the bench when Hoskins is 1st choice with CMS and will probably be a bonus to come on against tired defenders.

I seem to remember one that before. But I might be wrong

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How anyone can say Barnes was anything other than shite yesterday is beyond me...Wakey wakey people, this is the championship. You get half a second less and sometimes one or two chances is all you get. He had then chances and missed, for the record Dicker also had a shocker but then I said he was'nt good enough for this division as well..Some people on here have been watching lower standard football for two long, if they think these two will cut it at championship level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here