Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes is clearly good enough for us.......

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barnes has made key defensive plays in the last few games. Clearing headers, cutting out crosses, harrying opposition. He has an uncanny knack for winning soft free kicks easing the pressure, both in our half and the oppositions.

Woeful is way too unfair an adjective to describe his performances. But of course, it's barnes, so if he does something well defensively we ignore it, and if he misses a couple of shots he's the worst player on the pitch. It's the other extreme of him scoring a goal and the other thread being bounced.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Barnes has made key defensive plays in the last few games. Clearing headers, cutting out crosses, harrying opposition. He has an uncanny knack for winning soft free kicks easing the pressure, both in our half and the oppositions.

Woeful is way too unfair an adjective to describe his performances. But of course, it's barnes, so if he does something well defensively we ignore it, and if he misses a couple of shots he's the worst player on the pitch. It's the other extreme of him scoring a goal and the other thread being bounced.

Superbly put ! :clap2: Agree with every single word of that.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes seemed to get a lot of stick and negative comments from near where I was sat today and not for the first time. And not from me I would add, as I have never had a go at a Brighton player at any game. Don't agree with it.

It's amazing, I have a pop at him last season when we are winning games for fun, and get hammered for it. We go 5 without a win, and now nearly everyone jumps on the anti-Barnes bandwagon.

I don't really get what Gus is trying to get him to do at the moment. But as a striker, I still think he is well out of his depth in the Championship. He's 21yo, he's got 5 goals, he got 20 last year blah blah blah, but it does seem that a lot of people are coming around to my way of thinking, which is a shame really, as for me he's looked better early on this season than he did last year, but when we were winning, people thought he was great, and now were losing he seems to be everyones worst player.....

Give him time and space, and he'll score some crackers. Don't give him space and time, and he becomes a passenger. First touch is still awful, shooting is poor, and he still wastes numerous chances, which now is starting to show more, as we're not creating silly amounts of chances and still winning games. My opinion hasn't changed over the past year. He's not good enough. Never was, never will be.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He is not a choker. Penalties are superb. Suarez misses the same number of chances for Liverpool. Barnes will get better the more experience he gets.

PS: I always thought Murray was more likely to score last season. My opinion is out. My intuition says he is really inexperienced and not learning as quickly as a really good striker would.

My feeling is that he will be scoring for the Albion for years to come.

My other feeling is that he should play his natural game. He needs the right service. I don't think he is tippy-tappy style. So, maybe he is not right for the Albion ???

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He is not a choker. Penalties are superb. Suarez misses the same number of chances for Liverpool. Barnes will get better the more experience he gets.

PS: I always thought Murray was more likely to score last season. My opinion is out. My intuition says he is really inexperienced and not learning as quickly as a really good striker would.

My feeling is that he will be scoring for the Albion for years to come.
My other feeling is that he should play his natural game. He needs the right service. I don't think he is tippy-tappy style. So, maybe he is not right for the Albion ???

Yeah good one, lets play him just in case we get a penalty. He's f***ing useless. And you compare him to suarez. hahahahaha

I hope hes not here in years to come because we'll be in league 1 if he is.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Or just not good enough full stop? We have far, far too many luxury players in this squad, and Barnes is one of them, the ability to take Penalties should not justify you playing 90mins week in week out when you contribute absolutely f*** All for the entire game, nice to see at least some people have woken up and smelt the coffee now though.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Or just not good enough full stop? We have far, far too many luxury players in this squad, and Barnes is one of them, the ability to take Penalties should not justify you playing 90mins week in week out when you contribute absolutely f*** All for the entire game, nice to see at least some people have woken up and smelt the coffee now though.

Sense at last!!
Some people just hate hearing the honest truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here