Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal fans acting the big time cockney geezers

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't give a monkeys what you think. My post stands as what I think, if you don't like it, ignore it. I believe most of those Arsenal fans in the Amex on Sunday were not from North London. Backed up by the fact that 2 cousins of mine and about 10 mates from the Brighton area follow Arsenal and were in the away end. The bloke that sits next to me has a son that was in there and then there's the fact that a lot of Albion fans know Arsenal fans that live here in Sussex and are not from North London. It's the same for any big prem club.

Most of the Brighton fans I know don't live in Brighton but that's because I don't either. If you live in or near Brighton then of course most of the Arsenal fans you know will also live there.

That's the problem with trying to make projections based on personal experience - the results will always be skewed.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Most of the Brighton fans I know don't live in Brighton but that's because I don't either. If you live in or near Brighton then of course most of the Arsenal fans you know will also live there.

That's the problem with trying to make projections based on personal experience - the results will always be skewed.

The original post has been skewed slightly. It's not about live now, more about roots and where you are from, grew up, brought up. The vast majority of us Albion fans are so because of being from Sussex regardless of where we now reside. There will always be exceptions of course. But it's in your blood, your town or county, your club, your people. I doubt the majority of Arsenal fans are applicable to that.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The original post has been skewed slightly. It's not about live now, more about roots and where you are from, grew up, brought up. The vast majority of us Albion fans are so because of being from Sussex regardless of where we now reside. There will always be exceptions of course. But it's in your blood, your town or county, your club, your people. I doubt the majority of Arsenal fans are applicable to that.

I wouldn't know - I don't know any Arsenal fans. I know a couple of Chelsea STHs and they have never lived anywhere near Stamford Bridge - their dads did though and took them as young kids - does that make them less of a fan than someone who lives next to the ground? ???

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't give a monkeys what you think. My post stands as what I think, if you don't like it, ignore it. I believe most of those Arsenal fans in the Amex on Sunday were not from North London. Backed up by the fact that 2 cousins of mine and about 10 mates from the Brighton area follow Arsenal and were in the away end. The bloke that sits next to me has a son that was in there and then there's the fact that a lot of Albion fans know Arsenal fans that live here in Sussex and are not from North London. It's the same for any big prem club.

It's not the same at all. London clubs fan bases have spread around the south east since the seventies, so its not at all unusual to have London club fans in the south eastern counties.

It's not the same for all premier league clubs, do you think northern premier league clubs are going to have a support base in the south east like London clubs whose traditional fan base has moved within the last two or three decades to within still an hour of London?

Brighton is founded by and on Londoners, London by sea is no mean phrase. Newcastle or Manchester by sea seems slightly more far fetched.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
this just proves how little you know,

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
you obviously do or you wouldn't have replied, I'm simply telling you you're wrong , and are simply coming out with the stock bullshit about so called plastics that seems so popular amongst Brighton fans , it's ridiculous, this constant justification of your 'real' fan status.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
this just proves how little you know,

You cannot position yourself where brighton is a multicultural "city" with a sophistication far beyond most other british towns due to its proximity to London one day, and then paint itself as some copper family rural Sussex idyll the next.

Let's face it it's been London overspill since they first started dragging people down to the cold grey channel in bathing machines. Brightons the original London suburb.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You cannot position yourself where brighton is a multicultural "city" with a sophistication far beyond most other british towns due to its proximity to London one day, and then paint itself as some copper family rural Sussex idyll the next.

Let's face it it's been London overspill since they first started dragging people down to the cold grey channel in bathing machines. Brightons the original London suburb.

Exactly.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
True, although I would add that those who mock clubs like us need to realise that most of us support our local team or the place we have most affiliation with.

If I wanted to support Arsenal I could switch right now, but my team chose me. Some of those who purr at the success of their 'big clubs' are a bit nauseating.

Some of those who support Arsenal who were in the home end yesterday were attending their first Arsenal game for years. I met three of them (although in fairness to them they were very respectful folk and complimentary about the AMEX).

You think so? I would say Crawley was.

**** knows why that double quoted

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You think so? I would say Crawley was.

**** knows why that double quoted

I dunno why people didn't stop in Crawley in Georgian times on the way to brighton and think hang on there is no point going further down the a23 lets just stop here they will build gatwick in a 150 years.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Errr...who said anything about scarves and bobble hats? I was more concerned by the 20-30 near me with not a bit of red in sight, but plenty of abuse and shoving for regular Brighton punters and young kids.
So if they were game then why you moaning on here ???

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
up until last year i was a "plastic" liverpool fan and had been since i was 10. then i hit 30 and told my self "your a arm chair fan never been to anfield".

so i went to a few Brighton games and then this season brought a season ticket in the north.

i was always a fan of football but now i consider a football fan supporting you local team gives you a much sense that you a part of things win lose or draw (mostly lose and draw lol)

my point is that "plastic" fans dont have that feeling and chanting is all the have they a truly missing out

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
up until last year i was a "plastic" liverpool fan and had been since i was 10. then i hit 30 and told my self "your a arm chair fan never been to anfield".

so i went to a few Brighton games and then this season brought a season ticket in the north.

i was always a fan of football but now i consider a football fan supporting you local team gives you a much sense that you a part of things win lose or draw (mostly lose and draw lol)

my point is that "plastic" fans dont have that feeling and chanting is all the have they a truly missing out

Welcome aboard.

I genuinely can't image being a 'fan' of a club for 20 years, but never going to a game. I'd say that makes you someone that follows their progress, rather than a fan but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Welcome aboard.

I genuinely can't image being a 'fan' of a club for 20 years, but never going to a game. I'd say that makes you something that follows their progress, rather than a fan but that's just my opinion.
i was at anfield last Tuesday , barely heard a Scouse accent , a huge preponderance of Norwegian and Welsh ones though, it amazes me how the myth about Liverpool and their support continues .

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
i was at anfield last Tuesday , barely heard a Scouse accent , a huge preponderance of Norwegian and Welsh ones though, it amazes me how the myth about Liverpool and their support continues .

They have a msssive amount of Irish fans and STHs as well, don't they? I'm pretty sure, like Man United, that many of them fly over for each home game. Pretty good committment, that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't care where they were from, or why they support Arsenal, but there was an abundance of twats Sunday, I don't remember it that way last time we played them so I am putting down to gaining an inflated ego after actually winning a trophy recently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here