Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal fans acting the big time cockney geezers

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Not Arsenal I would say Orient are probably the nearest. Although south of the river could be Millwall or Charlton.

As already stated, the Bow Bells were not in Bow. Also it is within the sound of the Bow bells, so distance and area can be confusing.
A study was carried out by the city in 2000 to see how far the Bow Bells could be heard, and it was estimated that the bells would have been heard six miles to the east, five miles to the north, three miles to the south, and four miles to the west.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bow Bells to:

Arsenal 3.3 mliles
Tottenham 6.3 miles
Millwall 3.4 miles
Stamford Bridge 6.1
Leyon Orient 6.3
West Ham 7.2

So Arsenal are the nearest so most likely to be cockneys. This was compiled walking according to Google Maps.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
what the Fvck are YOU on about ? I know the area very well too, and I know loads that are regulars there, the ones that come in from Essex, Hertfordshire etc all grew up in Bethnal green/Islington/Camden area.

That was the olden days...the fan base who can afford to go to the Emirates have long moved way out. The council estates are solid Arsenal but they can't afford a season ticket. The £1.5m terraced houses are owned by lawyers and bankers who aren't interested. Anyway, this isn't my opinion, it's what Arsenal fans themselves say...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
All I saw about the place was a few mouthy Arsenal scarfers pissed up and singing a few songs. Not sure why the OP wanted some lads to turn up to do over some bobble hats. ???

Errr...who said anything about scarves and bobble hats? I was more concerned by the 20-30 near me with not a bit of red in sight, but plenty of abuse and shoving for regular Brighton punters and young kids.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Who cares if they were cockernees or mockneys, most Londoners are up themselves in any case and the sooner they bugger off back up the A23 or to Victoria the better. A lot of them reminded me of Harry Enfields 'Loadsamoney' character or Dom Joly's large mobile phone man, complete bellends on the whole.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That was the olden days...the fan base who can afford to go to the Emirates have long moved way out. The council estates are solid Arsenal but they can't afford a season ticket. The £1.5m terraced houses are owned by lawyers and bankers who aren't interested. Anyway, this isn't my opinion, it's what Arsenal fans themselves say...
What part of 'the ones that come in from Essex, Hertfordshire etc all grew up in Bethnal Green/Islington/Camden area' are you struggling with ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Being a Brighton fan is definitely not about glory, It's about community, its pride in the town (it was a town when I was younger) where you grow up. Brighton may not have a history of trophies but its has a proud one none the less. We have had to fight for everything we have. Arsenals fans chose their team because they are good side, if they are ever in trouble or have a run of games were they loose more then two in a row they will support something else. Completely different type of fan.

Top post. Its a difference between supporting a club and a global brand like Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I thought that the vast majority of Arsenal fans were bubbles.

A significant minority due to to the large cypriot community in their traditional catchment area. Turkish Cypriots too. Who have now moved out with a lot of the fan base to the same areas. It's not the seventies, most London clubs have seen similar. Doesn't make them plastic if they live in Hertfordshire, Essex Kent Surrey etc, it's just what's happened.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
:ffsparr: What annoys me is that half of them are plastic fans and are not committed I think it is pathetic

yeah, but without them we'd not sell anywhere as near as many season tickets.

You did mean the Arsenal-supporting Brighton season ticket holders I presume?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
yeah, but without them we'd not sell anywhere as near as many season tickets.

You did mean the Arsenal-supporting Brighton season ticket holders I presume?

Which is an important point. They come and support the team, they put money in the coffers.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A significant minority due to to the large cypriot community in their traditional catchment area. Turkish Cypriots too. Who have now moved out with a lot of the fan base to the same areas. It's not the seventies, most London clubs have seen similar. Doesn't make them plastic if they live in Hertfordshire, Essex Kent Surrey etc, it's just what's happened.

True, although I would add that those who mock clubs like us need to realise that most of us support our local team or the place we have most affiliation with.

If I wanted to support Arsenal I could switch right now, but my team chose me. Some of those who purr at the success of their 'big clubs' are a bit nauseating.

Some of those who support Arsenal who were in the home end yesterday were attending their first Arsenal game for years. I met three of them (although in fairness to them they were very respectful folk and complimentary about the AMEX).

Pickles

May 5, 2014
True, although I would add that those who mock clubs like us need to realise that most of us support our local team or the place we have most affiliation with.

If I wanted to support Arsenal I could switch right now, but my team chose me. Some of those who purr at the success of their 'big clubs' are a bit nauseating.

Really? Wow.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Bow Bells to:

Arsenal 3.3 mliles
Tottenham 6.3 miles
Millwall 3.4 miles
Stamford Bridge 6.1
Leyon Orient 6.3
West Ham 7.2

So Arsenal are the nearest so most likely to be cockneys. This was compiled walking according to Google Maps.

Shouldn't it be the one in Woolwich?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Rubbish , as in, that's what I think your post is , meaning factually inaccurate.

I don't give a monkeys what you think. My post stands as what I think, if you don't like it, ignore it. I believe most of those Arsenal fans in the Amex on Sunday were not from North London. Backed up by the fact that 2 cousins of mine and about 10 mates from the Brighton area follow Arsenal and were in the away end. The bloke that sits next to me has a son that was in there and then there's the fact that a lot of Albion fans know Arsenal fans that live here in Sussex and are not from North London. It's the same for any big prem club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here