Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance and Entitlement

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember a great post-match row at Millwall once between then Clarets boss Stan Ternent and ex Lions owner Theo Paphitis about which set of fans were more racist. Tough call at the time, to be fair.

But to the OP don't have a hissy fit, probably everyone on here gets as annoyed about ignorant drivel as you do from the same people. The only thing that would stop you turning down a Prem club for a Championship one is if you had a) a very long-standing association b) it was demonstrably a far bigger club, in terms of history/league position etc or c) the Champ club had an excellent chance of promotion.

As far as I can see on theses counts taken together it was a no-brainer for Ward (disappointing though it was - deal should have been closed earlier), and an excellent call from Barnes even if he doesn't play much. This could prove his one and only season in the top flight, that's the way he has to think.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Please don't compare Brighton to Burnley as a town or a football club - very easy to do that from your somewhat lofty position now . However I am sure you'll be back down in the Championship next year so we'll see you then as ( you rightly point out ) we won't be going anywhere soon . Dour and downright dirty is a good description for Burnley actually - you're welcome to the town along with Barnes. Although I don't expect you actually live there as everyone I know from Burnley who got an O level bought a train ticket straight out of there ... Enjoy your season and lets see how many you concede tonight

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Isn't Burnley the shit part of Blackburn?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Please don't compare Brighton to Burnley as a town or a football club - very easy to do that from your somewhat lofty position now . However I am sure you'll be back down in the Championship next year so we'll see you then as ( you rightly point out ) we won't be going anywhere soon . Dour and downright dirty is a good description for Burnley actually - you're welcome to the town along with Barnes. Although I don't expect you actually live there as everyone I know from Burnley who got an O level bought a train ticket straight out of there ... Enjoy your season and lets see how many you concede tonight

this

In the case of Barnes

option A - Brighton with year less contract offer, less money and mortgage budget per month that can buy you a modest family home

option B - Burnley with a year more contract offer, more money and the same mortgage budget per month could buy you a whole street.

option c - ignore either options A and B and only consider the history of how great Burnley were in the 1890's

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

You may have a point about arrogance, but, as already pointed out, kind of shoot yourself in the foot with your pompous, arrogant post.

Plus, you clearly have no idea about where Brighton have come from in the last 20 years. Shiny new stadium, nouveau rich? Consistently failing? We've been back in the chapionship 3 years. Do some research on how Brighton fans fought for their shiny new stadium.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was thinking while driving home today about this thread, and wondering what would be believable reasons for a professional footballer to sign for someone. I cam up with a number that I would find credible - not necessarily in order, things like:
Money.
Playing in a higher division/at a higher level.
Ambition.
Want to win trophies
Supported the club as a boy.
Like what the club is doing/how it's set-up.
Like the style of football they play
Team-mate who used to play for them told me how good it is. (Bobby Zamora/Darren Stockdale.)
Manager phoned me up and told me he really wants me and why.(Arsene Wenger/Mesut Ozil).

If one identified, say, 57 and put them in order, I think "they were a founder member of the football league etc etc" would be 59th.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
10559705_10154483790430623_6910395761209673748_n.jpg

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Burnley are fantabulous, so much so that since 1976 they have spent half the time in the top division that The Albion have.... yes they surely are a wondrous club

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
I personally think that Barnes and Ward both decided that they'd played for one club that sank so low that it was one game from going out of the league and thought they'd like to see what another one was like.
Possible that Barnes thought he was leaving one club that was not going to get promotion for one that was, and Ward rejected one that's definitely not going to get promoted for one that already has?

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
You couldn't make it up, Burnley fan comes on here, performs a smash and grab raid and leaves behind 13 page binfest between an Aberdeen FC fan and BHA fans! Whatever next? An Accrington Stanley fan turns up on the BBS and sets up a binfest between a Greenock Morton fan and the Palace fans?!

I have that under control, botty. There are some pics on the BBS taken by me at Cappielow from my days as an honorary member of the QB back when I lived with a Morton girl. Inter club ties have never been stronger.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Hope he keeps your bench warm. btw We'll see you next season assuming we don't go up. :)

All I remember at my times at Burnley was being called a '******' by a 30 odd year old man from across the road. How brave!

And then a Burnley fan in a 'ultra' style mask with a scarf around his mouth and nose. Trying to act hard.

Enjoy your season in the premier league, beat palace and see you next season.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
1976 is an interestingly arbitrarily chosen figure. Wouldn't the past ten or twenty years have more contemporary relevance?

I chose 1976 because that was the year of my first game, if you want I can change my post to - Burnley are fantabulous, so much so that in the last 40 years they have spent no more time in the top division than The Albion....they truly are a wondrous club.

The point remains the same. Theyve had nothing much to shout about in well over a generation.

Happy now?

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
I chose 1976 because that was the year of my first game, if you want I can change my post to - Burnley are fantabulous, so much so that in the last 40 years they have spent no more time in the top division than The Albion....they truly are a wondrous club.

The point remains the same. Theyve had nothing much to shout about in well over a generation.

Happy now?
Your club sits very proudly behind its boast of being 'Premier League Ready'.

Surely actually having been there twice in the last ten years is 'something to shout about' if your own club is so excited at the mere prospect of one day 'making it'?

Hence, front loading your statistical evidence with the 'glory years' of the late 70s/early 80s, whilst touchingly sentimental for you personally, as I said might have less contemporary relevance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here