Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance and Entitlement

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Two factors that can influence the choice of clubs by a player don't seem to have been mentioned - the manager they will be playing for and the chairman who will be paying their wages

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sorry, you don't see the irony of moaning about Brighton's arrogance and spouting the most arrogant rubbish ever seen on this forum. Typical pathetic Palace response. You've just shown yourself up be to an idiot.

No, he's shown himself to be an idiot a long long time ago, the worst Palace poster who comes on here

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
How are there 5 pages on this!?
Ward went to Burnley as they can offer more cash and Premier League football.
If I was Ward, I'd be taking the cash and topflight football. Not for any other reason.

:shrug:

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
How are there 5 pages on this!?
Ward went to Burnley as they can offer more cash and Premier League football.
If I was Ward, I'd be taking the cash and topflight football. Not for any other reason.

:shrug:

Nail on head.

Didn't really need the irrelevant drivel about founding member etc. Don't see too many top professionals chomping at the bit to play for Glossop town and Bradford Park Avenue.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

Sorry, I can't understand your accent.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry, I can't understand your accent.
You have a point
I should of paid attention to detail and who from Burnley uses the word - nouveau ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yup. 5 pages wasted. Move on.

It's quite an entertaining 5 pages.

But back to the OP:
1. Given that Stephen Ward had been very happy at Brighton and wanted to come back, I think we have every right to be at least surprised at what happened.
2. I always liked Ashley Barnes. Was disappointed when he left. Burnley just happened to be the team after him when he was feeling unwanted.
3. I have always quite liked Burnley, have had over the years a number of friends who have supported them, and respect what they have done now. The pompous drivel spouted by Raymond has put all that in doubt.

Yoda

English & European
It isn't just about money or league. As mentioned, sincerely doubt Barnes is on more with us than he was with you and joined when promotion was a long way off.

Well, that would have to be one of the biggest piles of BC I have ever read.

Do you HONESTLY believe that he would uproot his young family and move 250 miles for the same money? Not in a million years!!!

He wasn't prepared to sign a new contract with us for the same money, so why would he with you? History of the club? Bollocks!!! More money (Remember, he'd need a hefty signing on fee for the move) and the chance to go to a club looking at promotion to "The best League in the World" and say I'm a Premier League player (even if he doesn't set foot on the pitch).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I personally think that Barnes and Ward both decided that they'd played for one club that sank so low that it was one game from going out of the league and thought they'd like to see what another one was like.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
You couldn't make it up, Burnley fan comes on here, performs a smash and grab raid and leaves behind 13 page binfest between an Aberdeen FC fan and BHA fans! Whatever next? An Accrington Stanley fan turns up on the BBS and sets up a binfest between a Greenock Morton fan and the Palace fans?!

Aberdeen fan?? Wash your mouth out.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

I think we all appreciate that you love your club and your ground, but if you seriously believe that either of these two moves were inspired by anything other than money you are completely delusional.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nice of the poster to warn us what was coming in his title.

But then I suppose if you support mighty Burnley, you're going to feel arrogant and entitled.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hi all.

Enjoy your season.

Shouldn't you be taking your whippets for a walk or beating the wife?

Or at least go back to your own forum.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I don't object to "little al" spending half his life on NSC because he is a Palace fan, but because he just isn't funny. His contributions are so flippin' juvenile and tedious. Can you imagine what he is like in real life?

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Hi all.

Enjoy your season.

MONEY is what got you both players. None of the above counts to footballers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here