Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Argus

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't remember seeing it down South much but away game the football pink was a must have, by the time you got to the station the pink was available with full results and some match reports

I'm no expert, but I seem to remember an Argus pink even in the 1960s. My brother bought it on occasion.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I confess to buying the download version. I don’t do social media much and it has some stuff of merit - mainly obituaries, although it hasn’t reported its own demise yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember as a teenager, living in Crowborough, we could go to the game, get the bus back to Churchill Square and pick up a copy with a match report to read on the 729 bus home, pretty impressive !!

That's because Vinicombe had only three match reports (win, lose and draw) and a Saturday boy would just select the correct one and add in the names of any goalscorerers from the Grandstand telprinter, and Bob's yer uncle.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Every conceivable type of ad, the slightest wrong click and you trigger one of their tedious popups, videos or nosey lifestyle surveys.

In the last throes of its life, desperate for any ad income.

It's always been like that, to be fair.

Argus-D-Day-5[1].JPG.gif

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
That's because Vinicombe had only three match reports (win, lose and draw) and a Saturday boy would just select the correct one and add in the names of any goalscorerers from the Grandstand telprinter, and Bob's yer uncle.

I seem to remember that Vinnicombe was much reviled for his reporting of the club and its activities off the field, let alone on the pitch.

The real reason that the Argus seems to have lost touch locally is surely that it is now edited in Weymouth, not Brighton. That'll work, won't it?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I seem to remember that Vinnicombe was much reviled for his reporting of the club and its activities off the field, let alone on the pitch.

The real reason that the Argus seems to have lost touch locally is surely that it is now edited in Weymouth, not Brighton. That'll work, won't it?

Judging by the errors in it, I’d be surprised if it was edited at all!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Quite. His reports when I read them in the early 70s were partial to say the least. And I don't recall him standing foursquare with the Archer Out movement either (although I'd long moved from the area by then and I may be being unfair, but doubt it).

I still preferred him to that Stoke supporter, though....

All the best.

Sadly it's just the way things have gone for local papers everywhere. The internet robbed them of ad revenue that paid for the decent journalism. Social media took away their ability to break local news.

It's very easy to slag off the Argus or any other provincial paper. The truth is they don't have the resources to do what they did 20 or 30 years ago.

I keep buying it as they do a reasonable job with next to no resources. I imagine the people who worked there 40 years would find it every bit as hard to put together a newspaper that ticks many boxes if there were very few of them. I did a stint there and I'm sad at the fate of the local media industry in particular, while not misty eyed to the fact that they probably weren't quite good enough to sell themselves to younger generations. I hope something replaces them, I think there is a demand for local news but it need to be done very well within a new model that we can barely glimpse yet

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Quite. His reports when I read them in the early 70s were partial to say the least. And I don't recall him standing foursquare with the Archer Out movement either (although I'd long moved from the area by then and I may be being unfair, but doubt it).

I still preferred him to that Stoke supporter, though....

All the best.

I'm sure he didn't - because he wasn't the Albion reporter by that stage.

The sale of the Goldstone Ground was broken by the Argus on July 7 1995. I believe Andy Naylor took over from John Vinicombe around 1994.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I keep buying it as they do a reasonable job with next to no resources. I imagine the people who worked there 40 years would find it every bit as hard to put together a newspaper that ticks many boxes if there were very few of them. I did a stint there and I'm sad at the fate of the local media industry in particular, while not misty eyed to the fact that they probably weren't quite good enough to sell themselves to younger generations. I hope something replaces them, I think there is a demand for local news but it need to be done very well within a new model that we can barely glimpse yet

There are some pretty good local magazines that capture the spirit of their communities well – Viva Lewes is one example. Obviously they have to be features-led rather than newsy.

I understand that lots of people are happy enough exchanging news and gossip on Facebook etc, and maybe topping up with the occasional local TV news bulletin. But there's a huge journalistic gap that remains.

Public bodies like councils, health trusts, environmental agencies etc get nothing like the scrutiny they used to face a generation or so ago. And the lack of coverage that they receive means that lots of the people they serve have little clue what they do, or what they could be doing.

There's nothing to stop citizen journalists stepping in to fill the breach. But nobody's paying for their time, or training them to do the job properly in the first place.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The sale of the Goldstone Ground was broken by the Argus on July 7 1995. I believe Andy Naylor took over from John Vinicombe around 1994.

The perfect explanation for why I don't recall it.

I do remember feeling let down and, on occasion, infuriated by his articles. Too long ago, now to recall the details.

Hope you're making the best of things out there :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yes, JV left in 1994.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Used to buy Argus everyday and got in depth into everything Brighton and Hove. Now just bits and pieces and so much cut and paste. Even tries to cover a bit of national. Local once a week papers like Eastbourne Herald and Mid Sussex Times give very good coverage of there areas including all local sport and whats on. There are very good sports teams in Brighton and Hove that now get zero coverage I think Argus should go down to once a week and concentrate on Brighton and Hove and do it properly

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I must confess that I occasionally look at the online version, today it told me that I had viewed 17 out of 20 complimentary articles, I will have to register to view another 20 or subscribe to get unlimited access.
Don’t think I will bother thank you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was looking at an article today and this little message popped up:

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 11.41.03.png

I certainly didn't read 16 articles this morning, so I'd be interested to know what sort of time frame the complimentary articles cover.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Use a different browser and you start again from zero articles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here