Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Argus

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
i used to love reading the results in the night final. Especially as, for whatever reason, they put the half time scores beneath each result.

I remember i used to copy the results out as I was learning handwriting. There was one result I remember, a 1-0 victory over Halifax. My mum had just bought me a new exercise book so I set about copying them out. I tracked down the date recently and I would have been 6 at the time. The Argus of yesteryear invokes a catalyst for many a happy memory. Today, quite the opposite.

It was a newspaper for most of the county.

Now an internet site with local non-stories, tittle-tattle and promoting posh homes for sale, to draw in waring factions of the left and right.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
i used to love reading the results in the night final. Especially as, for whatever reason, they put the half time scores beneath each result.

I remember i used to copy the results out as I was learning to handwrite. There was one result I remember, a 1-0 victory over Halifax. My mum had just bought me a new exercise book so I set about copying them out. I tracked down the date recently and I would have been 6 at the time. The Argus of yesteryear invokes a catalyst for many a happy memory. Today, quite the opposite.

I remember being on an open topped omnibus from Brighton Station after we beat Villa in the Charity Shield final at Standford Bridge. I was just about to light the cool and satisfying untipped Senior Service that mum had given me for my 10th birthday and which l had been saving for this occasion for a week, when a stupid Argus photographer took a photo of our victorious fans waving to the cheering townsfolk. That then caused the horses to rear and gallop off down the Queens road.
Mum had been breastfeeding the twins and so dropped her clay pipe, setting one of the poor mite's hair on fire and nearly having the other's eye out with the pipe stem. Luckily she put the blaze out with her stout, and my how we all laughed.
Wouldn't happen now, with all this bleeding elf 'n safety nonsense.:drink:

seniorservice.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember being on an open topped omnibus from Brighton Station after we beat Villa in the Charity Shield final at Standford Bridge. I was just about to light the cool and satisfying untipped Senior Service that mum had given me for my 10th birthday and which l had been saving for this occasion for a week, when a stupid Argus photographer took a photo of our victorious fans waving to the cheering townsfolk. That then caused the horses to rear and gallop off down the Queens road.
Mum had been breastfeeding the twins and so dropped her clay pipe, setting one of the poor mite's hair on fire and nearly having the other's eye out with the pipe stem. Luckily she put the blaze out with her stout, and my how we all laughed.

View attachment 122172

:lolol:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not sure about the printed edition which I stopped buying years ago, but the online site is dire. So many adds and its a real chore to try to get to an article you might want to read without being misdirected to some unwanted advertiser's site. I know they have to sell advertising to support the site but sadly there is now just far too much of it and I simply can't be bothered to wait what seems like minutes to open an article up on say the Albion.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

View attachment 122172

If you're going to continue masquerading as a BHA fan on here maybe change the signature and avatar, there's a good chap, it's a bit bleedin' obvious otherwise.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Does anyone remember the Sussex Daily News which was the sister paper of the Evening Argus ? I remember (vaguely) the edition when my local team Shoreham became Champions of the Sussex County League in the early 1950s.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
If you're going to continue masquerading as a BHA fan on here maybe change the signature and avatar, there's a good chap, it's a bit bleedin' obvious otherwise.
We all see what we want to see
Open Memory Box 4.jpg
Try not to let it spoil your day.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i saw an article that was screaming "supermarkets forced to close Easter Sunday" as though this was something new, and not been happening every year since shops were first allowed to open Sundays .

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Don't remember seeing it down South much but away game the football pink was a must have, by the time you got to the station the pink was available with full results and some match reports

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don't remember seeing it down South much but away game the football pink was a must have, by the time you got to the station the pink was available with full results and some match reports
I think the Argus did do this for a bit, probably 88/89ish. I'm sure you could pick it up at Hove Station after the game......it was a long time ago though and everything tends to get a bit fuzzy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The pink Sports Argus was a genuine quality product. Game would finish by 5, you'd be back in the Brewery Tap by half 5, Sports Argus complete with extensive match report and full results service would be on sale in the newsagents just along the road by shortly after 6. We used to take turns in going and getting a half dozen copies to pass around in the pub. Credit where it was due to the Argus of yesteryear :clap2:

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
The pink Sports Argus was a genuine quality product. Game would finish by 5, you'd be back in the Brewery Tap by half 5, Sports Argus complete with extensive match report and full results service would be on sale in the newsagents just along the road by shortly after 6. We used to take turns in going and getting a half dozen copies to pass around in the pub. Credit where it was due to the Argus of yesteryear :clap2:

Agree. The Argus of yesteryear really was a good read. Today’s iteration is awful and I’ve been meaning to bin it from my desktop for a long time now. Did just that this morning - what took me so long.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Think it were more recent than that. I was meant to start working on it just before it was discontinued. It could be distributed quickly because pre-press (which was an industrial dream if you're a print nerd and is hopefully now preserved with the Crown Jewels, or at least at Manchester Street) was in Hollingbury, but that was subsequently shut down.

The Sheff Star's Pink 'Un might still be going. They, enviably, had five league teams to cover until the Direshites went down.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why do many on here slate the Argus as a load of rubbish full of adverts. Have you seen Facebook recently or even You Tube.
Good or bad the Argus is a local paper that should be admired. They have costs to be met and so have to have an income.
If you don't like it then don't read it. I wish them a long life.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Why do many on here slate the Argus as a load of rubbish full of adverts. Have you seen Facebook recently or even You Tube.
Good or bad the Argus is a local paper that should be admired. They have costs to be met and so have to have an income.
If you don't like it then don't read it. I wish them a long life.

There is nothing in your quote with which many would disagree, but notwithstanding their need to generate said income, truly it is vacuous in content, devoid of the investigative journalism it was famous for, and awful to navigate.
The old dog has had its day, I believe, which is a pity.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sadly it's just the way things have gone for local papers everywhere. The internet robbed them of ad revenue that paid for the decent journalism. Social media took away their ability to break local news.

It's very easy to slag off the Argus or any other provincial paper. The truth is they don't have the resources to do what they did 20 or 30 years ago.

Exactly this. The Daily Echo in Southampron (or Bournemouth), the Portsmouth Evening News etc etc are exactly the same. I think the Argus is actually better than some of the others...… there, I've said it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here