Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in football

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Whatever the motivation behind the article, between this and 'poogate' it's really rather sad to see the club being dragged through a soap opera and airing various pieces of dirty laundry in public.

True. We've enjoyed many years of being a club that I perceive many have looked up to and admired for going through tough times and behaving with great integrity. Nothing much will change that in the long term but this mess is something that could have so easily been avoided.

Most, if not all the blame is being aimed at Poyet and no doubt he's behaved unprofessionally and not done himself or the club any favours. But I do wonder what can have provoked such a situation ... has Barber been trying to impose himself too much?

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
blimey, I seen some ups & downs as a Brighton fan, but last week would make a tv drama,
will get to the bottom of Poogate or its just a smear campaign
will the clappers every make a comeback, or are they out the charts for good
will Di Matteo break is friendship with Gus & come to the Amex
or will the 100/1 fantasy rank outsider be taking over.
tune in tomorrow for the latest edition of Bloom, Gus & the rest of us

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the end of the day, if someone came on here and said what Poyet is really like behind the sences, they just get slagged off and called a lair.
If that article is completely accurate and not biased, and someone had posted those details a few months ago, yes, they'd have been called a liar. But if it was you breaking the story, you wouldn't have cared if peopled called you a liar, you've been called worse.

We don't really know the truth, and probably never will. What we do know as fact is that Poyet got us to survival in L1, then won L1 with a less expensive team than the opposition, and then got us 10th and 4th in the Championship, again with a team that cost less than the opposition. If he's as bad a manager as that article suggests, his success on the pitch is a miracle.

The truth looks like it coming out now though.
Hardly, we're just getting one side.
TBH I just want us to appoint someone who will embrace the club, it's history and it's fans and move on
Indeed, although I'm not impressed how this thing is being played out. Articles from (ex) players slagging off Gus is not going to help us get compensation when he moves on. It would be better if he's seen as a great manager, and other clubs are fighting over him.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Most, if not all the blame is being aimed at Poyet and no doubt he's behaved unprofessionally and not done himself or the club any favours. But I do wonder what can have provoked such a situation ...

Ever since Gus joined our club, it has often been said by Tanno, Oatway and many others that he lives and breathes this club and football and doesn't know how to relax.

The 'Alex Fergusons' of this world are very few and far between.

Most mere 'mortals' would crash and burn after 2-3 years, resulting in poor judgement, inflated egos etc etc. I suspect that Gus may have fallen into this category. Shame.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Hole E Sheeeeeet!

Gus always felt it was really important (for him) to learn to deal with the "big players" if he want's to go to the highest level.

Oops.

Can't see many big clubs wanting him after reading that article. He takes the piss out of players when they miss in training too, a class act.

Oh dear.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Over the last few days everything seems to be painting Gus as the bad guy. OK he is the architect of his own demise by talking up his interest in other clubs and shooting his mouth off in the media. 'Poogate' is an unfortunate and distasteful coincidence but not of his own making.

I still respect that a manager is entitled to 'manage' and will inevitably have to make difficult decisions and inevitably make mistakes. especially when learning his trade. Being a manager in any walk of life isn't a popularity contest, so clearly a few people might get upset along the way. The is no room for wallflowers as managers in footie and I generally take with a pinch of salt a lot of whinges from ex-players etc. However Gus seems to have lost his moral compass.

Most of us have been waiting to hear Vicente's side of things, even before this week. With such a frustrating time at The Albion I guess he also feels the need to give his perspective. It does seem rather convenient for The Albion that this story doesn't paint Poyet in a good light and gets published just as he is in the epicentre of a s**t storm. On the other hand Poyet has been around footie for a long time and would be naive to think that others (especially newly released players) wouldn't want to give their side of things.

I also think it indicates that Gus's supposed 'love in' with Spanish players isn't necessarily the case. While the current saga isn't ideal I hope it will be a watershed in terms of flushing out issues and allowing the squad to move forward, presumably under a new manager.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in footba

The timing isn't that unusual - he's just left the club.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in foot...

but hang on, reliable people have told us Gus has left because we wont keep Vicente. so they lie?

its all finger painting at 4 isnt it, and thats fun in any langauge.

But the kid was always getting injured.

Good points, there is an element here of the club getting their retaliation in first.

There are a few shades* of the Wilkins dismissal here - the big difference this time is that I'm 100% behind the club whereas last time I was 100% against them. I wonder if the club have tapped up a replacement the way they approached Adams last time whilst Wilkins was still in post? Anyway this will run and run for a while yet with more and more being revealed - probably on both sides.

*Only a few before someone points out that they're totally different situations.
In my opinion, they're identical situations.

The manager falls out with the people who control the club. The people who control the club get rid of the manager.

It's how all businesses work.

And there are two sides to the story. The game is always controlled by the same side, though.

Feb 14, 2010
Who is this Vicente that people talk of? I thought he was about as real as Father Christmas but less useful. At least you can bribe kids into behaving with the threat of Father Christmas

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A very sad end to Poyet's time in charge. Sadly it will no doubt be forgotten how he took us from bottom 6 of League 1 to 4th in the Championship as people line up to criticise him.

He clearly was a manager who believed in himself and if you didn't follow him, you were shown the door. This was always going to annoy some people and lead to criticism. Some of it will obviously be true but we have to remember we haven't heard Gus' opinion. He clearly has made mistakes in the last week and it sounds like the club has done the right thing. However, it doesn't mean he was a bad manager for the last 3 and a half years, despite what some people will have you believe.

As for Vicente, he clearly didn't want to stay last summer. However, from memory, we didn't take the option on the extra year until the end of June and he had almost two months to confirm a move before that. I remember quite a lot of people being pissed off with this last summer (me included) and being pleased that we opted to renew the contract and force his hand so lets not criticise Gus for this now.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well even if part if the articles true about Gus taking the piss if you miss a shot in training, it might explain why he has had so much trouble with strikers. Murray left, Macca came, Macca started well then went off form, loan players didn't work, and theres many times when we can't put the ball in the net. How long before he ruined Ulloa??

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If he's as bad a manager as that article suggests, his success on the pitch is a miracle

Same old triggaaar, missing the point entirely. There was no plan b, that's what many people are saying. Yet you still defend his one dimensional play, which worked to some extent. But when teams found ways to slow us down, deny us space. We're ****ed. Did you watch the game on Monday?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is ****ing embarrassing. One loss in a big game and the whole thing fall apart!

it'snot embarrasing at all.......i think it is well interesting and a defining chapter in our history......the board room have basically said .........**** off Gus you gobby ****...:lolol::lolol: quality and bodes well for the future....ie( dont bother going for the brighton job if you are a selfish , gobby twatt cos the chairman is actually a fan and gives a **** or two)....."bigwave"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here