Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in football

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in foot...

Most English kids who watch Dora The Explorer know quite a bit of Spanish anyway.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Especially that shy, sensitive caring wallflower Craig Mackail-Smith. Perhaps a more encouraging manager will get the best out of him.

Said this to someone the other day. I haven't given up on CMS. I still think he can score plenty of goals at this level. Players don't score some of the goals he has by luck, one against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind. He has always needed a partner along side him and now he might just get one.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Let's be clear - the club have all but planted this story to help their own agenda.

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm not #TeamPoyet, but there's a game going on behind the scenes here.

I would have thought that the best BHA could hope for, is Gus getting an offer of a job elsewhere. I cannot see how arranging for an ex player to publicly slag the character and training methods of Gus is what they would want at the moment.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Said this to someone the other day. I haven't given up on CMS. I still think he can score plenty of goals at this level. Players don't score some of the goals he has by luck, one against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind. He has always needed a partner along side him and now he might just get one.

Our next manager might known how to win with a 442 and that'll suit CMS and Leo nicely

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm sure Naylor knew that the Vicente interview would be appreciated by the club but I doubt the club arranged it. Let's credit the guy with some basic journalistic skills ... of course you want to interview the most gifted ever Brighton player as he departs.

I remember thinking there was something very odd about an interview Tanno gave during that long period in which nobody knew why Vicente wasn't playing. What kind of injury did he have? Was there another problem? His answer was something like "don't know, I haven't spoken to him or seen him".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have thought that the best BHA could hope for, is Gus getting an offer of a job elsewhere. I cannot see how arranging for an ex player to publicly slag the character and training methods of Gus is what they would want at the moment.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Stick some crap in the press saying how brilliant he's been, and how we're sad he wants to move on, but we appreciate what he's done and how he's been here a long time, and if another club come in for him we won't stand in their way. Take the £2.5m compensation and move on.

I'm quite disappointed by the way this is going, that £2.5m compensation is a big deal to the club, especially with FFP in place.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Managers are there to get the best out of individuals as members of a successful team - being liked is not a necessary requirement. Being nice, being nasty - both can be effective, the skill comes from knowing which, when, to whom.

Vicente seemed well regarded by fans, but the outcome was just 2 goals from him. That's just one more than Bruno, El-Abd, Greer, Hoskins, Upson each scored.

Having been released, and on his way home and unlikely to play in UK again, he's vented his spleen, and maybe been paid to do so by the press.

He was certainly paid by the Club, wouldn't have come unless he found the offer attractive, and the amount he averaged per match played would light up the eyes of any of our bank managers if we got it!

I'm sorry it didn't work out for him, but wish he had waited until he was home again amongst friends and family, and then, sometime, written a more considered piece about what his time here was actually like. Might still be as bad, but not distorted by venom.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in foot...

Vicente, as a free agent, is not beholden to the club in any way. I find it hard to believe the club would have felt that they could count on him to not criticise them. As it is, we get Vicente's side of things for the first time. It may not be the whole truth, but it is surprising (most of us probably thought the Spanish speakers got on like a house on fire) and sheds some light on some of the things that have happened that have not been properly explained before.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Oh and any follow up to the wormhole story!

My mate's responsible for that. He's been putting in silly reports like this for years and they've just been ignored, so he's mystified why this one has been picked up on (it's been in loads of papers, fortean message boards are discussing it and it was even a question on HIGNFY last night).

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I must admit my stance on Gus softened a tad when I saw his email. Now this Vicente article comes out and again I think I support Gus on this one too. Vicente has an obvious axe to grind as he wanted out last summer. And as for the article itself, typical argus crap. A good journo would have asked some questions we'd all lilke answers to, such as his injury status for the Palace game etc..

Still, best for all concerned if all this can be put to bed quickly now and we move on. Can't see that happening and agree with Bozza that the club are behind some of this.

Likewise. I thought the club had gotten rid of him for bemoaning the budget. flirting with other clubs and trying to engineer his way out of his contract. Now it seems they've suspended him for an email about a poo because of a power struggle. Very disappointing.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It appears that even though he felt betrayed by not being able to leave after getting the nod, he was glad he was made to stay cos his kid settled and they all learned English.

One thing that got me all season was that Vicente certainly needed game time to get back into it and Gus never brought him on when we were winning. Surly the best time to let your most creative player get some game time is when the oppo is on the back foot.
Of course there is always the fear that the lesser defensive ability could cost the lead.

Instead he came on while we were down.

On form he would have made the difference but he always needed safe game time to get his bearings and confidence he's not going to get broken again whenever he gets the ball.

If we're up and on the front foot you often get more time on the ball initially, that makes the world of difference.
Time to take a touch and turn to face their goal and look up without fear of being kicked in the air on the way round.
Its not uncommon, Dave took a while but now he's gravy. Dobbie, Dixie and Harley never really managed it.

It's a great great pity.

I was gutted that he wasn't playing but it seemed more Vicente's fault and Gus lost faith in him.
Now I'm even more gutted that the trust Gus seems more misplaced every day this week.

I really hope ts all very exaggerated by press and rumours like the Calde contact debacle two seasons ago, not that Gus's quotes helped there either.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Managers are there to get the best out of individuals as members of a successful team - being liked is not a necessary requirement. Being nice, being nasty - both can be effective, the skill comes from knowing which, when, to whom.

Vicente seemed well regarded by fans, but the outcome was just 2 goals from him. That's just one more than Bruno, El-Abd, Greer, Hoskins, Upson each scored.

Having been released, and on his way home and unlikely to play in UK again, he's vented his spleen, and maybe been paid to do so by the press.

He was certainly paid by the Club, wouldn't have come unless he found the offer attractive, and the amount he averaged per match played would light up the eyes of any of our bank managers if we got it!

I'm sorry it didn't work out for him, but wish he had waited until he was home again amongst friends and family, and then, sometime, written a more considered piece about what his time here was actually like. Might still be as bad, but not distorted by venom.

I'd be very surprised if the Argus would pay Vicente for an interview, how many copies do you imagine they sell on a Saturday?
Would Vicente come out with a load of made up stories, when he quotes half the first team squad in them, saying he was fit, got on well with all the home born players as well as the Spanish contingent, would he make up bare faced lies about Gus and Tanno just because he is leaving, when the players staying could say it was all bullshit....... I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here