Argus: Gus plans triple swoop..Albion have cash for 'special signing'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Naylor said the other day on his Tuesday chat that the special player was not foreign.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I wouldnt class Ljungberg signing as special now, 5 or even 3 years ago yes, but now after 2 years in MLS I would think that he is past it, although there is talk of Beckham joining Spurs on loan so perhaps the standard is better in the MLS than most people think.

He's only 33 and from what I've read it sounds like he's been doing well in the MLS. I think he'd definitely be quality in League 1 and the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's only 33 and from what I've read it sounds like he's been doing well in the MLS. I think he'd definitely be quality in League 1 and the Championship.

Would he?

37 games for Seattle Sounders scored 2 goals
15 games for Chicage Fire scored 2 goals so not prolific for either side and if you consider that we had a player who left us when we hada worse team to join L A Galaxy it doesnt auger well for him. Plus most of his time now is spent modeling, he is obviously wealthy so what motivation would he have.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Would he?

37 games for Seattle Sounders scored 2 goals
15 games for Chicage Fire scored 2 goals so not prolific for either side and if you consider that we had a player who left us when we hada worse team to join L A Galaxy it doesnt auger well for him. Plus most of his time now is spent modeling, he is obviously wealthy so what motivation would he have.

Yeah, but he was never much of a goal scorer:

1994–1998 Halmstad 79 (10)
1998–2007 Arsenal 216 (46)
2007–2008 West Ham United 25 (2)
1998–2008 Sweden 75 (15)

He was voted into the MLS Allstar team by coaches, players and fans (top of the fans vote). He must've been doing something right. Motivation could be an issue though.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Only four goals in over 50 matches, I certainally hope we are looking a bit higher than that, would the USA League be superior to Division 1?
Why are you no longer able to comment on the Argus news items, does anyone know whats behind it, there have been many comments on the poor content of the journalists, has it upset the management?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Funnily enough, having spent a few hours on a coach with a saints fan (long story, but were diverted to Warsaw from Krakow this weekend while on a short break), he seemed to think that Ricky Lambert's off in January. To be fair for a saints fan he was an alright bloke, very complimentary about our side since Poyets taken over. Anyway, in short, they've heard rumours of having £3million to spend in January to ensure they get out of this division, and he seemed to think another striker or two was on the cards with Lambert leaving. Charlie Austin was one name he mentioned.

Wouldn't have thought S'oton would have any money to spend in January as the owner wants to offload them Asap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It won't be him but to say he wouldn't smash up league one is ridiculous.

Talking to a West Ham fan tonight and his view was that we want to hope that we dont sign Ljungberg as he was rubbish for West Ham and has obviously gone over the hill. Which is what I imagined would be the general impression of his ability now.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Talking to a West Ham fan tonight and his view was that we want to hope that we dont sign Ljungberg as he was rubbish for West Ham and has obviously gone over the hill. Which is what I imagined would be the general impression of his ability now.

Ljungberg was injured throughout his year at West Ham & his last couple at Arsenal. His injury wasn't actually diagnosed & treated untill he joined Seattle.
Can't see him coming here personally as i persume he thinks he can still do a job in the top division but there's no doubt he'd smash it in League One.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Premier League is a different kettle of fish to League One. Besides, one fan is not a great indicator of talent. You could pick two Brighton fans and ask them about Murray. One would say kick the lazy and petulant guy out of the club and the other would say he is the best striker since Zamora.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
...but he's guilty of getting people's hopes up again if this is from Gus' mouth. We were going to have the full squad in place by early summer, we didn't. We were expected to make loan signings, including a very special one, again we didn't.

I don't mind Gus shouting his mouth off but you know loads on here are gonna get all arsey when nothing happens.

I respect the fact you're a long time poster but frankly this is shit.

We're top of the table and as far as i'm concerned Gus can say what he likes. He's delivered more than we could have hoped in 1 year.

Bloom has also delivered more than we could have dreamed so let's stop trying to create things to moan about and just accept the fact that things are pretty f***ing good right now.

A few good signings and they'll be beyond our wildest imaginations compared to the shit being dished up a few years ago.

Just regurgitation of what we already know, with the added confirmation that if the 'special signing' becomes available, finance won't be the problem

In summary..

Left sided replacement for Lua Lua (possibly even more significant due to the managerial situation at Newcastle)

Clarification of striking options.

Finance available for 'special signing'

Big push will be made in the second half of the season to ensure promotion to The Championship.

Any loan players will be required to be here until end of season.

robbie keane? special signing:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports