Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argentina takes Falklands row to UN

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It does seem to make Argentina comparable to a 7 year old saying "ummmm I'm telling on you".

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Bring it on (again) Argies, done it once and would do it again if i weren't so old.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find this one quite baffling. They are complaining that we are "militarising" the South Pacific, as if we're supposed to ignore the rhetoric coming out of BA over the past year or two, the fact that Argentina has campaigned successfully for British boats not to be allowed into South American ports, and the fact that we are approaching the 30th annivesary of that war where their country thought they'd take the islands by force.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Argies are only interested in the Falklands as they think there's oil there. Frankly their country is in such a mess that they will do anything to try and take their people's minds off their own failings. Oh yes, I still haven't forgiven Maradona so the hell with them. I don't blame the Falkland Islanders for not wanting to become part of a staggeringly inept country.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The cost of another war (in lives and money) would outweigh any oil found there

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Argies are only interested in the Falklands as they think there's oil there. Frankly their country is in such a mess that they will do anything to try and take their people's minds off their own failings. Oh yes, I still haven't forgiven Maradona so the hell with them. I don't blame the Falkland Islanders for not wanting to become part of a staggeringly inept country.
Not quite true. Their politicians also like to play the Malvinas card to deflect from any problems they are failing to get a grip on domestically. This is why Galtieri thought he'd send them to war. You're right about the ineptness of the country though - Argentina had something like the 7th best standard of living in 1920 I believe*, so you have to wonder how they've lurched from economic crisis to crisis ever since then.

Give it back to them ffs, the cost of another war (in lives and money) would outweigh any oil found there
It was never theirs in the first place. It is hundreds of miles off the coast and at the time the Brits colonised it, Argentina wasn't even an independent nation.

*wikipedia says 10th wealthiest nation per capita in 1913

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its hilarious ! "Tin pot country, guilty of abuse/torture/detention/murder of own citizens and illegal armed invasion, complains about neighbour's shiny new ship and holidaying dishy rescue helicopter pilot to UN, shock "
:lol::lol::facepalm:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's all about the oil this time plus the Argie Govt. getting jingoistic for the benefit of their domestic viewers and upping the rhetoric around the 30th anniversary.

Hopefully the UN will tell the Argies to get on their bike. I guess one way to call their bluff is for 'us' to offer the Falkland Islanders a referendum, assuming they will vote for the status quo. However it would be quite amusing if they vote for independence and do their own thing with the oil revenues.

In the meantime I can't see the Argies pressing the trigger so readily this time as they know we have more military resources in place down there - plus at any time one of our nuclear subs lurking in the South Atlantic could land a cruise missile in Kercher's handbag or put their mainland bases out of action without too much collateral damage. I suppose they might fancy a surprise raid to knock out the airbase knowing we would not be able to readily reinforce the Falklands without aircraft carriers, plus we are running down our military so might be vulnerable.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sod it then, lets just invade Argentina and sort it once and for all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sending one destroyer to replace another on patrol, albeit a far better one, is militarisation? so whats an effective air and sea blockade then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The cost of another war (in lives and money) would outweigh any oil found there

It's difficult to "give back" something they have NEVER owned !

Not quite true. Their politicians also like to play the Malvinas card to deflect from any problems they are failing to get a grip on domestically. This is why Galtieri thought he'd send them to war. You're right about the ineptness of the country though - Argentina had something like the 7th best standard of living in 1920 I believe*, so you have to wonder how they've lurched from economic crisis to crisis ever since then.

It was never theirs in the first place. It is hundreds of miles off the coast and at the time the Brits colonised it, Argentina wasn't even an independent nation.

*wikipedia says 10th wealthiest nation per capita in 1913

The Dutch, Portugal and Spain have better claims over the islands than the Argies.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Any bets that the FA will reach staggering new heights of ineptness and ill timing and appoint Maradona as England manager?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Send Will Buckley in to sort it all out, the man can do no wrong at the moment

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd f***ing love to live in Argentina. Fantastic country. My favourite place in the world.

Still doesn't mean they can have the Falklands though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Be interesting to see how 'special' our relationship with the US is this time around. If the react in the same way as they did in 1982 it's high time we told them to get out of Lakenheath and Mildenhall, if they want to have a land based aircraft carrier let them try their luck with their other allies.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With a member of the Royal Family doing his tour in the FI at the moment it doesn't take a genius to work out why the Argies are kicking up a stink. A couple of subs prowling the waters of the South Atlantic and long range bomber aircraft on Ascension are the only deterrent in place in the short term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here