Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argentina takes Falklands row to UN

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's all about the oil this time plus the Argie Govt. getting jingoistic for the benefit of their domestic viewers and upping the rhetoric around the 30th anniversary.

Hopefully the UN will tell the Argies to get on their bike. I guess one way to call their bluff is for 'us' to offer the Falkland Islanders a referendum, assuming they will vote for the status quo. However it would be quite amusing if they vote for independence and do their own thing with the oil revenues.

In the meantime I can't see the Argies pressing the trigger so readily this time as they know we have more military resources in place down there - plus at any time one of our nuclear subs lurking in the South Atlantic could land a cruise missile in Kercher's handbag or put their mainland bases out of action without too much collateral damage. I suppose they might fancy a surprise raid to knock out the airbase knowing we would not be able to readily reinforce the Falklands without aircraft carriers, plus we are running down our military so might be vulnerable.
Don't think they could mount a surprise raid...if I can get an aircraft taking off from an airport thousands of miles away on my laptop I'm sure with all the computers/radar/and sattelite surveyance can pick them up from a couple of hundred miles away...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
What's their obsession with the islands? I really don't get it.

That'll be the tried and tested method of stirring up nationalist feelings when you are buggered domestically, oh, and perhaps a few barrels of oil

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
That'll be the tried and tested method of stirring up nationalist feelings when you are buggered domestically, oh, and perhaps a few barrels of oil

Sounds like what Thatcher did too to be honest.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I hope Dodgy Dave doesn't read NSC

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Argentina takes Falklands row to UN - Yahoo!

Seems to be simmering this does, not good really at all, not that i think it will go further than words:moo:

I love a bit of hypocrisy in government, just imagine what would the uk be saying if another country ignored a un resolution, well that's exactly what the uk have done for the last 47 years, un resolution 2065 was passed in December 1965 and consecutive governments have conveniently chosen to ignore it, do as i say not as i do.

http://www.nyshistoryday.org/mlordahl/UN%20Resolution%202065.htm

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Argentina's claim over the Falklands falls apart and seems even less valid when you consider they also invaded South Georgia in 1982, an island they have absolutely no right to claim. It was and still is just a claim they perpetuate to ramp up domestic political support and as others have rightly pointed out to also keep the focus away from their failings in government. Old cod faced Kirchner needs to wind her leathery neck in.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am off snowboarding next week, friend of a friend was coming but he is in the forces and is on alert to leave for Falkands at any moment, so cannot come with us. :down:

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Just asked the people of the Falklands what they want. Most of them have been saying for years that they dont want Argentine rule and they would rather stay under British rule.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Be interesting to see how 'special' our relationship with the US is this time around. If the react in the same way as they did in 1982 it's high time we told them to get out of Lakenheath and Mildenhall, if they want to have a land based aircraft carrier let them try their luck with their other allies.

The Yanks supported us last time.

They are in part guided by the "Monroe Doctrine" which opposes European meddling in the Americas, but after WW2 demanded the dismantling of the rest of the British Empire based on the principle of self determination. Which is what all peace treaties have been based on and why this issue is toxic to the political left, the smarter ones would avoid it but many still dont get it. Opposing this reduces their arguments to Genocide, Ethnic Cleaning or a Dictatorship of the majority. Same goes for Ulster

To revert to the idea that "who deserves the land more" would plunge the world into caos. You could just as well ask why should we hand a British colony over to a Spanish colony?

It doesn't matter who was their first, how the Islands were gained etc etc, all that matters is what the people there now want.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I love a bit of hypocrisy in government, just imagine what would the uk be saying if another country ignored a un resolution, well that's exactly what the uk have done for the last 47 years, un resolution 2065 was passed in December 1965 and consecutive governments have conveniently chosen to ignore it, do as i say not as i do.

http://www.nyshistoryday.org/mlordahl/UN%20Resolution%202065.htm

Maybe you should read your link instead of just spouting rubbish. The resolution is about granting Independence for the Falklands, that is another way of saying its their choice. It also asks the UK and Argentina to reach a settlement, that should follow from the other point. Hence it is argentina that is in breach of the resolution.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The best way for Argentina to take the Island would be to slowly pair up with islanders to create a generation of pro Argentine locals, who then vote to ditch us

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Maybe you should read your link instead of just spouting rubbish. The resolution is about granting Independence for the Falklands, that is another way of saying its their choice. It also asks the UK and Argentina to reach a settlement, that should follow from the other point. Hence it is argentina that is in breach of the resolution.

And maybe you should read what i posted, my post was about hypocrisy in government not what was contained in the resolution, the fact remains that the uk government have ignored un resolution 2065.

Why are you not at school? holidays are not until next week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And maybe you should read what i posted, my post was about hypocrisy in government not what was contained in the resolution, the fact remains that the uk government have ignored un resolution 2065.

have they ignored it? from my reading it invites the governments to negotiate a peacful solution and requests that they report the outcome of those negotiations to the 21st session of the assembly. Did this not happen, presumably its noted one way or the other? Their invasion makes the "peacefull" part of any agreement void wouldnt you say, added to which the overridding concern must be for the citzens of the islands, who choose UK.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

But there is no hypocrisy there as far as I can see. Loads of countries ignore UN resolutions and the UK government is rarely up in arms over this. You only have to look at Israel and their disgraceful record at the UN to see this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The key word in the resolution is "invites". The only binding thing in that resolution is that both parties had to report back at the next meeting. Do you know if that happened or not ? I'm sure it did and thus neither party has "ignored" the resolution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here