Argentina takes Falklands row to UN

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
The Falkland Islanders will not want to be independent of Britain as they could not afford to defend themselves. They are fiercly loyal to Britain and are happy for us to be there is it brings in a great deal of revenue.

I was providing a deterrant - by having a go at karaoke on a Friday night, but they've brought me home: Clarence House didn't want me & Wills in the same place at the same time :lol:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I think we should complain to the UN about maradonna's handball - still havent forgiven them for that - bastards.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
The key word in the resolution is "invites". The only binding thing in that resolution is that both parties had to report back at the next meeting. Do you know if that happened or not ? I'm sure it did and thus neither party has "ignored" the resolution.

As far as i know between 1983 and 1988 the un was passing annual resolutions, but nothing since then.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And maybe you should read what i posted, my post was about hypocrisy in government not what was contained in the resolution, the fact remains that the uk government have ignored un resolution 2065.

Why are you not at school? holidays are not until next week.

Or you could refer to article 1 of the charter of the UN including - "To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples" - Somewhat more important than a wishy washy ambiguous resolution....

Charter of the United Nations: Chapter I: Purposes and Principles

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The cost of another war (in lives and money) would outweigh any oil found there

Always the risk though that Cameron would heed the whispers of his far-right colleagues to "do a Maggie" and uniote the country into a conflict which would improve national morale...if we won.

But clear warnings from the top military that we wouldn't, now.

Shanme that Cameron'd godfather Sir Tim Rathbone isn't around now to give him more "liberal" advice.

But there's always Cleggy...:facepalm:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't think it's an ambiguous resolution, it's all a matter of opinions is it not?

Of course it is (a matter of opionons), but the resolution refers to the aim of an end to colonialism for a start - Where do we go with that? Return Argentina to it's indigenous peoples, send the 35 million Europeans home? Personally I think self determination is ONLY way forward in such matters.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As far as i know between 1983 and 1988 the un was passing annual resolutions, but nothing since then.

Eh ? I meant did Britain and / or Argentina report back to the UN ? I guess they probably both did and it was along the lines :

GB - "We've considered the UNs invitation and decided not to take it up"

Argentina - "GB decided not to take up the invite and so no talks took place" ( obviously in Spanish ! ).

I fail to see how we've ignored a UN resolution if that was the outcome.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
And maybe you should read what i posted, my post was about hypocrisy in government not what was contained in the resolution, the fact remains that the uk government have ignored un resolution 2065.

Why are you not at school? holidays are not until next week.

See the 3 respondents below your last post for why you suck at reading, thinking and life.:)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Let's be honest, Argentina f***ed us over. Had Chile's military not been massing along the borders, Argentina would have sent their main full-time forces to Falklands.

If this is true they would have joined the Belgrano.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
My nephew is a Royal Marine with 42 Commando and they have had whispers of the Falklands for a while now and as opposed to going on warm weather training for a deployment to the Indian Ocean on Pirate patrol they ended up going to Norway for 3 months of cold weather and amphibious training....left on Monday. Make of that what you will.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I love a bit of hypocrisy in government, just imagine what would the uk be saying if another country ignored a un resolution, well that's exactly what the uk have done for the last 47 years, un resolution 2065 was passed in December 1965 and consecutive governments have conveniently chosen to ignore it, do as i say not as i do.

http://www.nyshistoryday.org/mlordahl/UN%20Resolution%202065.htm

'in the interests of the population of the Falkland Islands'.

Ignoring what exactly?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Always the risk though that Cameron would heed the whispers of his far-right colleagues to "do a Maggie" and uniote the country into a conflict which would improve national morale...if we won.

But clear warnings from the top military that we wouldn't, now.

Shanme that Cameron'd godfather Sir Tim Rathbone isn't around now to give him more "liberal" advice.

But there's always Cleggy...:facepalm:

Are we of to war then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Argentina's claim over the Falklands falls apart and seems even less valid when you consider they also invaded South Georgia in 1982, an island they have absolutely no right to claim. It was and still is just a claim they perpetuate to ramp up domestic political support and as others have rightly pointed out to also keep the focus away from their failings in government. Old cod faced Kirchner needs to wind her leathery neck in.

Argentina also laid claims of sovereignty to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands in addition to the Falkland Islands. In 1982 South Georgia was an island territory within the Falkland Island Dependencies.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Argentina have had claims of sovereignty to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands in addition to the Falkland Islands. In 1982 South Georgia was an island territory within the Falkland Island Dependencies.

I believe South Georgia was 'occupied' by 5 'non-military' personel or the like. It was the first island liberated.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My nephew is a Royal Marine with 42 Commando and they have had whispers of the Falklands for a while now and as opposed to going on warm weather training for a deployment to the Indian Ocean on Pirate patrol they ended up going to Norway for 3 months of cold weather and amphibious training....left on Monday. Make of that what you will.

The Royal Marines go to Norway every February. If we had to go to war next week, it's summer in the Falklands.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe South Georgia was 'occupied' by 5 'non-military' personel or the like. It was the first island liberated.

Their cover story was they were scrap metal dealers but in fact were on a reconnaissance mission to find out the British military strength. When the Argentinian naval forces invaded a dozen British Marines had to surrender to overwhelming numbers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in the analysis today, it been pointed out that Argentina has probably dropped a bollock on this. one of the first principles of the UN is to support the right to self-determination, so that rather makes it the business of the islanders. it also seems to me odd they are registering their complaint to the UN decolonisation committee, they can hardly turn around and colonise or treat it as such themselves after this.

predict "independent" Falklands at the end of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports