Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with the Albion's January business?

Are you happy with the Albion's January business?

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will Derby loaning Lingard and Ince hinder their promotion chances ?

I think you'll find that's additions to a squad made up mostly of players on contract, as a last little push for promotion. Both are quality players who are not injury prone risks or old has beens. We have relied on loan players and will continue to do so it appears. It's not quite the same is it. Can you imagine Derby choosing to field the maximum number of loan players allowed?

It's not the same and you know it. We tend to build a first team squad based on loan players at the expense of the below par players we signed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I still think this squad is lightweight and now we'll still be too close for comfort to the relegation zone for the rest of the season as a result. So it's a No from me - I think we needed to do better.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not including Crofts or Kemy, I make it that we now have 20 fit senior outfield players: 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 attackers - 2 per position. That should be enough for the remaining 18 games, shouldn't it?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Middle of the Table

I still think this squad is lightweight and now we'll still be too close for comfort to the relegation zone for the rest of the season as a result. So it's a No from me - I think we needed to do better.

Target: 3 points for 4 every 4 games would give us 24 more points = 53 pts and good enough for safety. But we might get 0 pts or just 1 pt from our last three game = 49 pts or 50 pts, maybe not good enough.

I think the next three games will see how best we stand with the rival stragglers having important games. And how our injury situation pans out. It looks like we are walking a tightrope with an important injury or two at the wrong time putting us in the mire.

In contrast, it looks like Derby are covering every eventuality. Except that Brentford & Bournemouth may be both better than them?

If Hughton gets 56 pts, our team is better than expected. 59 pts and I might renew my season ticket next season. I probably will anyway, but I might change for a a better seat available? (It is just that we always kick towards the south in the first half.)

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not including Crofts or Kemy, I make it that we now have 20 fit senior outfield players: 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 attackers - 2 per position. That should be enough for the remaining 18 games, shouldn't it?

NO! One short.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you'll find that's additions to a squad made up mostly of players on contract, as a last little push for promotion. Both are quality players who are not injury prone risks or old has beens. .

What about Bent ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What about Bent ?

We got him fit and firing again :lolol:

Seriously though? He was one of two quality loan players we got this season. As an addition to Derby's strike force it's a pretty damned impressive signing, wish we could have kept him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Target: 3 points for 4 every 4 games would give us 24 more points = 53 pts and good enough for safety. But we might get 0 pts or just 1 pt from our last three game = 49 pts or 50 pts, maybe not good enough.

I think the next three games will see how best we stand with the rival stragglers having important games. And how our injury situation pans out. It looks like we are walking a tightrope with an important injury or two at the wrong time putting us in the mire.

In contrast, it looks like Derby are covering every eventuality. Except that Brentford & Bournemouth may be both better than them?

If Hughton gets 56 pts, our team is better than expected. 59 pts and I might renew my season ticket next season. I probably will anyway, but I might change for a a better seat available? (It is just that we always kick towards the south in the first half.)

I think CH's nouse will hopefully just about see us stay up, but a good January would have made his job a damn sight easier. We still lack a leader on the pitch and midfield bite (maybe Kayal will be the answer there?, I've no idea) plus we still have no one outstanding up front (hoping Best can deliver on what I know he's capable of). As a squad I don't think we have enough fight, spirit or quality, to be comfortable mid table from where we are now.
As for Derby - they're still my favourites for automatic promotion.
As for season tickets - I'll still renew next season even if we go down.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No. We haven't replaced the 'dead wood' with better players.......... yet. I was just hoping for a bit more progress.

Just disappointing that we seem to be reliant on loans, and at the end of the day who knows what level of commitment they will have. See Gardner.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
21. You've missed a midfielder ( probably McCourt ).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought ,according to one poster, that Paddy was certain to be going to a club in Asia during the window, what happened?

We had last minute hitches, he was only going to going to be allowed to leave once Fabregas had signed on loan until the end of the season but that fell through at the last minute

*Walter Mitty Transfer rumours*

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect we were trying to upgrade CMS and Paddy right up to the last minute, but were unsuccessful.

2 loans to cover these positions I reckon.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought ,according to one poster, that Paddy was certain to be going to a club in Asia during the window, what happened?

And Lewis Dunk was off to West Ham, CMS off to Posh, COG back to Sheffield...who'd have thought it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here