Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with the Albion's January business?

Are you happy with the Albion's January business?

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well I can't say I am thrilled.

I also don't buy into this " let's hang on in there and regroup in the summer". Well who is to say houghton is going to still be here in the summer? Who is to say if he is we will have any extra money to buy new players? Who can say we will still be in this division?

It's all ifs and buts, so I would have started the clearout of CMS etc and bought players rather than looking for players to come in for a month or so whilst they are looking how well their proper clubs are doing.

The club will benefit more financially by loaning Colunga to Granada who will have an option to buy in the summer rather than if we tried to flog CMS in the transfer window. At least CMS will attract interest from League 1 clubs whereas Kemy will have to announce his injury related retirement.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I voted no. I don't buy the argument that this season is gone - yes it probably has in terms of playoffs, but finishing on a positive spin of results will bring confidence going into next season. Any new players will get a bedding in period when expectations and therefore pressure should be fairly low (assuming we are out the poo of relegation).

Sadly we still look like a selling club, unable to first of all attract, and then retain and motivate top talent. That to me seems to be difference between a club serious about going for promotion, and the rest.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Chris Ol'Grady is starting to feel like a new signing.

I think our biggest weakness is at the back. I did hope we'd sign a centre-back. Hopefully this summer, it'll be our main priority in the transfer window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have voted No but I hope Best proves to be the goal scorer we are missing and I would have liked to see us bring in a man to play wide right in place of Calderon or March as I believe neither is the answer. We should, however, have a squad good enough to avoid relegation and there is still the loan window to bring in a couple if needed.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
No, because I think we needed to sign some better players to stay up, and now I hope we have what it takes to avoid the bottom three, but it's going to be difficult.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think it is too early to vote on this. After all, the Emergency Loan Window opens next week. And who is o say that there are no plans to add to the squad in the form of further loans. And not just any loan. This is the period in time where the premiership clubs want to get their young promising youngsters out on loan and with CH's contacts and good relationship with a lot of the Premiership Managers then who knows, we might yet see one or two good promising youngsters join us in the coming weeks

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Surprised we let Collunga go. Ok, he didn't set the world alight, but it's an attacking option we can't call upon now if we need it. If it was him that wanted to leave, I'd have preferred it to be in the Summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When is the club's very optimistic and upbeat press release about the transfer window due? Looking forward to it, with the inevitable putdown for those who aren't thrilled too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I also don't buy into this " let's hang on in there and regroup in the summer".

Sound policy decision.

Well who is to say houghton is going to still be here in the summer? Who is to say if he is we will have any extra money to buy new players? Who can say we will still be in this division?

Well, talk about pessimism! Who can say the Amex won't be destroyed by a disastrous fire in the middle of April? Who can be certain that Dunk, Ince, Lua Lua and a couple of other first team regulars won't suffer career ending injuries between now and the end of the season?

Houghton might not be here in the summer, but Hughton will. Yes, we will go into the transfer market in the summer (OK, I don't know how much we'll spend, but it'll be a lot better when we're not fishing round for a new manager at the same time as we have done the last two summers). And yes, we'll still be in this division.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indifferent. The focus is staying up, so the squad should be strong enough. There was always going to be an issue bringing in top drawer signings in this position. I'm trying to be hopeful for another season in the Championship, and a better summer in the market. At least Chris Hughton will know the prospects and requirements as the team will have stability at the moment, if nothing else.

My main confidence is that we may have a manager who is comfortably aware of the clubs potential, and its limitations, thus being unlikely to walk anytime soon.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, quite happy.

Gardner was a loan to cover the injury to Stephens so no need to replace him.

Kayal will be more useful than Toko.

Best is a good replacememt for Colunga.

I'd hoped we'd upgrade CMS to a better striker, but that didn't happen.

So, onto the loan window. A striker, and a winger please.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Voted Yes but mixed feelings, could have done with a better striker but hopefully we`ll have enough to stay up.
Then Hughton can look at re-building in the summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So, onto the loan window. A striker, and a winger please.

More loan players? I am starting to really hate the loan system, it is holding this club back imo as we no longer have to make a long term commitment to players. It's a false economy too imo. How many genuinely successful teams have teams made up with as many loanees as permitted as first choice players?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not really. Rationally, buying a pacy right-sided player can wait until summer when it would not be a Candle Auction. However, depending on the next three games* (for a start), I don't think we will escape relegation unless we get another player in.

(* not from the Albion point of view but from the fellow stragglers)

I would have preferred Colunga to Leon Best.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Kayal has just scored for the development squad.

Stephens also lasted 60 minutes which will be like a new signing when he is back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've already got four loans (Bennett, Tex, Halford, Best), so adding two more will put us back in the situation where one can't make the match day squad.

Isnt that a good position to be in where you have options like Tex at home and Halford away assuming Greer and Dunk are the continued first choice at CB.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4 pts from 3 games for the rest of the season?

More loan players? I am starting to really hate the loan system, it is holding this club back imo as we no longer have to make a long term commitment to players. It's a false economy too imo. How many genuinely successful teams have teams made up with as many loanees as permitted as first choice players?

Bournemouth do not use the loan system. I think it is best for emergencies and to cover injuries rather than to have a look at a player or getting a player match-fit for the benefit of rivals.

But to a greater or lesser extent all players are on loan, maximum four years and usually not as long according to contract. At age 28 a player can hawk his services for the highest wages,

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Will Derby loaning Lingard, Bent and Ince hinder their promotion chances ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here